Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

Decided to sculpt the insignia patches in 3D rather than just use a texture. So much for the intense details waiting....;)

[​IMG]

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Outstanding! My first impression of the uniforms, is that they look pretty damn good from here. And your badge/patch insignia is gorgeous... I love the slightly drifting embroidery. Such details really sell this thing.

Top notch work!

--Alex

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Fracking impressive! At some other threads there had been the discussion whether TAS should be redone in CGI (but - of course - keep the original voices of the original cast), and Donny illustrates the potential for such a thing, too.

Seeing the insignia that close I couldn't help to wonder what these might symbolize.
    • The star is apparently a star whose top extension could symbolize warp speed or to expand beyond the known
    • The Science Division seems to display what could be a 2D suggestion of a sphere
    • The Engineering / Services Division features an odd pentagon that allows moving inside and out of the center. Looks like it conveys a sense of protection in the center, either for a starship operating in the icy cold vacuum of space or as a shield against attacks (security personnel)
    Bob

4. Donny

Last shot before bed (I've been working on this all day! So much fun, but so time consuming)

I corrected the color of the tunic and added the Enterprise command patch and captain rank stripes. All other rank stripes have been sculpted, these are just the first ones I've gotten in place.

[​IMG]

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Beautiful. :)

6. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Merciful Mogg, Donny! Is there any 3D skill you can't achieve?! As you pointed out, these "bodies" have "average" builds that I really like, plus the tunics and pants have these casual "wrinkles" that sell their realism. I'm just gob smacked!

Speaking of the symbolism of the insignia, as a kid, I perceived the science symbol as a basketball. Yeah, silly, I know. But possibly even more amusing, now that Trek is owned in part by CBS, just put a circle within the inner "oval" of that design and, well...;)

Sincerely,

Bill

7. Robert Comsol

[​IMG]

OH MY GOODNESS!!! :eek: You are right! Even the acronym makes sense: Command, Broad Services and Science.

Bob

8. Redfern

You know, if society as we understand it does not collapse, and assuming Trek is remembered in a hundred years, the CBS ownership is going to cause some confusion with future fans. Let's face it, as time goes on, certain facts may be "generally" forgotten aznd others incorrectly remembered. "What do you mean, CBS rejected the show? They own(ed) it!"

You gotta' admit, there's a certain irony.

Sincerely,

Bill

9. Donny

Finished up the rank striping. From left to right, we have Admiral, Commodore, Captain, Commander, Lieutenant Commander, Lieutenant, Lieutenant Junior Grade, and Ensign.
    [​IMG]

Admiral is, of course, conjectural, since we never see an Admiral's ranks stripes in TOS. To my knowledge, Lieutenant Junior Grade was only featured in "The Naked Time" and was the supposed rank of Joe Tormolen.

Correction: According to this article at Memory Alpha, Admiral Fitzpatrick's rank insignia was, in fact, visible. Although I couldn't find evidence of this in "The Trouble With Tribbles", there is the "You're in Good Hand with Tribbles" outtake which shows Fitzpatrick has the same rank stripes as a Commodore. For my purposes, I'll leave that middle stripe on the Admiral to differentiate between the two.

The outtake I'm referring to can be seen below 0:28 seconds in...

[EDIT] Check out the corrected Admiral's stripes below!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  10. Robert Comsol

Memory Alpha is correct. The blooper reel video you linked shows a severe degradation of the original film as I and many others had seen it. The quality has degraded to a point where you can no longer see the extra rank stripe above and below the Commodore stripe. Talk about "erasing" history, here you have a perfect example. :eek:

I have therefore immediately scanned my photo print from the original (Enterprise viewscreen uncropped) footage which reveals in HD the table, its push buttons and - of course - the correct Admiral rank stripes of Fitzpatrick (you'll find it in your subspace log of transmissions ;)).

Please consider it accordingly or I will be compelled to call you henceforth "Franz"...and I really don't want to do that.

Bob

@ Redfern

"What do you mean CBS rejected the show? They owned it"

:lol:

11. Donny

Thanks you. I got the image, and am amazed! I never could have seen those extra rank stripes above and below the standard commodore rank stripes. I shall update the admiral rank stripes accordingly.

Please, don't call me Franz....;)

12. Donny

Here's the updated Admiral rank stripes (with a human hand I just finished modelling). Thanks, Robert Comsol!

[​IMG]

Here's the reference shot Bob sent me:

[​IMG]

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I was always under the impression that the big reflective chrome bar between the two inner stripes for Commodore and Admiral was silver colored, not gold.

14. Redfern

Oh, dear g*d! Donny's already modeling believably proportionate human hands!

Next thing you know, he'll capture those subtle Shatner features that elude so many artists!

Sincerely,

Bill

15. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shatner 's face is one that is hard to capture. Not sure why.

Looking forward to seeing Donny's take.

16. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking good Donny. The only comment I have is that the rank braids seem too thick (or perhaps they need to be inset in more into the fabric?)

Keep it up! :D

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I have to say I really do like the realistic body types you used when creating the uniforms. Well done!

18. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Looking great, Donny!

I think that to get all the details just right, you might need to tweak the seams a bit. You have the raglan sleeves, but you're missing the gussets down the side of the torso. (There's not just one seam, there are three.) The two panels on either side of the main seam can be removed as need and replaced with larger or smaller panels as needed for an actor's weight changes, without having to re-tailor a whole new tunic.

[​IMG]

19. Donny

This is done for a reason. It will help add more depth when I convert these to lower poly meshes suitable for a real time 3d game engine.

20. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Those clever bastards!

--Alex