LOTR Trilogy (extended version) on Blu-ray 8/2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

for those of who who have waited 2 years.

related thread:
    LOTR Trilogy (theatrical version) on Blu-ray in 2010

2. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought the box set last year.

I think the significance here is that they are releasing single versions of the films, whereas you could only buy the box set before now. At least, that's what I'm inferring from this information.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I bought the theatrical versions a while ago because I was able to get them for $9 a piece. I enjoy the extended editions, but I don't need them. When I watch LOTR, I have a habit of wasting my entire day away in front of the TV watching all 3 of them; I don't need them to be any longer than they already are! :p

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Shit. There goes the money.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. The extended versions do explain things a bit better, but I'm just not enough of a LOTR fanatic to want to sit through them ever again.

The theatrical versions are already good enough (and long enough) for me.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the fan club credits that really add insult to injury. At that point I start to feel like a hostage and wonder when I'm ever going to see my family again. It's like "we're only in the Ds!!!! Aaaugggghh!!!!"

7. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

I've heard some people say that the Blu-ray extended versions are even longer than the dvd extended versions and that they include extra scenes? Then in other places I read that only the end credits are longer, with "fan club credits"? Can someone clear this up for me? Do the Blu-ray extended films include extra scenes or not? And what are "fan club credits"? Thanks!

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't notice any additional bonus scenes, and i have them seen often enough, I'd think

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The blu rays are "longer" because the are shown at 24 frames per second, while DVDs are shown at 25 frames per second (here in L'Europe at least). That's a 4% difference in running time.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^If That holds true for the US the DVD's would have run at 30fps(NTSC standard), so the difference would be even bigger in the states.

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, 24 FPS material can be converted relatively cleanly into 30 FPS with 3:2 pulldown (well, 59.97 fields per second if you want to get technical), so the DVDs still had the same running time in the US. But there isn't an equivalent technique for PAL, so they typically just speed the film up.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It was interesting watching Fellowship again after seeing The Hobbit. I haven't watched it in awhile (and am only a casual fan), so it was kinda cool seeing all the little callbacks to the earlier story. From the original versions of the stone cave trolls to mentions of the dragon and the Misty Mountains and the flashback to Bilbo in the cave.

Of course now that the much younger Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo in the Hobbit movies, Gandalf's comment about Bilbo having "hardly aged a day" seems a bit odd. The implication is that clearly he hasn't aged much from the cave flashback, but I guess now we have to assume it's from a later date.

I was also surprised to see that Sting had been slightly redesigned from LOTR. Figured Jackson would have kept little things like that more consistent.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Weird. I rewatched Fellowship last night. As much as I enjoyed the Hobbit, FOTR is vastly superior. I enjoyed the evolution of Gandalf. Where he was mostly goofy in Hobbit, he's a little more reserved here, and then a total badass by the time he become Gandalf the White.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I prefer nice Gandalf the Grey (Hobbit, FOTR) to hard-ass warrior Gandalf the White.

15. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

The actor agrees with you. One of the things I heard him say in interviews repeatedly was that the Grey was much more fun to play. The White was "a stick in the mud."

Invited to play the Grey for three more movies, I'm sure he jumped at the chance.

16. Plain Simple

The Hobbit is a much more goofy book (in a good way).

17. Plain Simple

Also no extended scenes?

What are these fan club credits that are mentioned? Did they just add the names of fan club members to the credits? Why would they do that?

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were in the original Extended Editions, after the standard production credits. They did that because that was an enticement to get people to pony up and join the fan club.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If you belonged to the Official Lord of the Rings Fan Club, your name went in the fan credits. Supposedly.

The OLOTRFC was run by Decipher, the RPG company. They produced an official magazine and other collectibles. They had the reputation of taking fans' money and running, but they were apparently overwhelmed and, once in the ditch, were never able to dig themselves out. At the time, I was upset that I only ever received one issue of the magazine, but in retrospect I count myself lucky that I got the wristwatch I ordered from them.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's true. I never actually signed up myself (never was one for fan clubs), but the owner of a Tolkien message board I used to post at decided to sign up on behalf of everyone there, and we were all represented in the credits under the name of our board. :ouch: