Phase II Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Duane, May 14, 2014.

1. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I didn't realize that Phase II was moving forward with a Kickstarter fundraiser but I ran across it today on Facebook.

There has been discussion here as to whether or not links to Kickstarter campaigns are appropriate or not. Others have gotten away with it, and since I have nothing to do with the Phase II project, maybe it's OK if I provide a link:

Edit:

Nope. It's not okay to provide a link to the Kickstarter campaign. TrekBBS members will have to do their own little simple hunt to find the Phase II Kickstarter campaign. (As always, advertisements are available for purchase on TrekBBS to increase reach and awareness of funding projects.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Man, Cawley sure couldn't get through that monologue fast enough, could he? :lol:

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Seemed measured enough to me.

4. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When everybody else is doing their fundraising, why shouldn´t they. Their goal seems very reasonable, especially with the list where all the money goes to. To bad they seem to have to hire someone to do their post work, but I guess if you want to achieve a certain quality level you have to go to the pros (and not all of them are Trekkies who donate their time).

I´d love to see more of their new facility. Cawley did a good job explaining it, but they could have shown a little more. Guess we´ll have to wait for updates or new episodes to see the new sets.

5. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After having enjoyed Phase II all these years I was happy to contribute to the kickstarter.

Long may their voyage continue.

6. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I totally agree that they should source funds via Kickstarter. I wish there was a better way to get the word out. If every hard core Trek fan gave them $1 they'd have plenty of cash.

7. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it will help them get their episodes out and clear the decks for the David Gerrold era of Phase 2 (meaning the new scripts Under his new stewardship), more power to them...

Suggestion: saying on your KS page that ''Phase 2 is the oldest Star Trek film'' is not technically correct, because Yorktown: a time to heal originated in the mid-80s. Maybe the ''longest-lasting Star Trek fan film production studio in operation''?

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Exeter predates it, too.

9. doubleohfive

As does Star Trek: Hidden Frontier, an episode of which James Cawley himself appeared.

10. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine they meant to say the oldest film featuring the original cast, as James Cawley said in the video.

11. Fez

Fez Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It was said "FIRST to bring back the adventures of Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock, and the FIRST to have original stars in the show such as George Takei, Walter Koenig, William Windom and Barbra Luna"

12. Maurice

I was replying to Bixby's quote from the written text.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  13. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fez quoted James Cawley from the video portion...but I was talking about the written part just after the second Youtube embed video

''Star Trek: Phase II is the oldest Star Trek fan film, just having celebrated its 10th anniversary. ''

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Exeter's first episode, of course, was released in 2003. I think "Hidden Frontier" is one of the few Internet-native Trek fan films that predate Exeter.

15. Maurice

I thought "Savage Empire" came out in Dec. 2002, and got Slashdotted in Jan 2003.

Anyway, demonstrably not the first, but but arguably the first of the Trek fanfilm series still a going-concern today.

16. Serveaux

It may have been the end of 2002. This is what I get for relying on my internal memory rather than the Internet.

Phase II is probably the oldest fan film still in active production. Barb would know for sure.

17. doubleohfive

Hidden Frontier began in about 2000, as a further-developed and retooled version of Voyages of the USS Angeles.

I think the larger point however is simply that Phase II is NOT the oldest fan film out there, nor is it really fair to say (in one sense) it's the "longest running" either. Hidden Frontier easily trumps Phase II in terms of content produced, regardless of the fact that Phase II has been around since 2004.

Semantics, really. But disconcerting to see Cawley playing fast and loose with the facts as part of his own PR machine.

18. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

That and how can anyone take him seriously with that hair? ;)

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  19. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Well we started work on our own meagre efforts in 2003. But I don't think we need to over analyse what James said. :)

And on that note, I really hope Phase II reach their stretch goals. It'll be nice to see them succeed.

20. Serveaux

I root for the Phase II folks. I want most people to succeed. ;)