Netflix and Warner Brothers Reach Deal

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Link

Netflix will wait 28 days before offering new releases in exchange for a larger movie selection in instant watch.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a good deal for Netflix, and a good deal for Warner Bros. But this doesn't sound like a good deal for Netflix users. Having to wait a whole month before being able to rent 'new' releases? Well, Blockbuster could always use the extra business.

3. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

that sounds like an awful deal, why would people want to wait 28 days for a new release.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I can wait 28 days. I have plenty of stuff on my queue to pass the time until then.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with RoJo.
    28 Days Later is not a problem for me.
    If I waited 4-5 months during its theatrical run, which I do on alot of films(ie comedies) then another 28 days to see it is nothing.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Plus, I've been using the Instant Streaming on my PS3 a lot lately, so I would gladly take more of that in exchange for a longer wait for DVDs.

7. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

This. I don't rent a lot of new releases anyway, but I do like the streaming service. Sounds like a great trade-off to me. :bolian:

8. Arthur Frelling Dent

Arthur Frelling Dent Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not something that will make me cancel Netflix, but I expect a lot of backlash from customers and for Blockbuster to capitalize on it.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can easily wait 28 days. I only order a DVD through the mail every so many months, because many of my favorites are on Netflix streaming. I only have 4 movies in my DVD queue, but have about 300 movies in my streaming queue that I can watch anytime I want. Sounds like a good deal to me.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The brick and morters are hoping this will help them out. A similar deal is supposed to happen with Red Box. Other studios will be doing this too. Heard about a few months ago when I worked in video retail.

11. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I've got over 300 discs in my queue, and I constantly find stuff to watch on streaming. That's all outside the regular TV I watch, so I won't be affected at all by this. I think it's a win-win if you don't mind the 28 days since increasing their streaming content makes one's membership that much more worth it. :)

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

My queue is maxed out. I'm constantly trying to add stuff too.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I put movies in the queue when they're in theaters and forget about them. Six months later, they show up in my rental column. If it's seven months, I doubt I'll notice.

My queue is currently 252 titles. It fluctuates but hasn't gone much below 200. If it's perpetually at that level, why would I care when anything arrives? I'll probably DIE with 200 freaking DVDs unwatched. What a depressing thought. :rommie:

Oh no, here's a worse thought. Whenever I die, even if it's 50 years from now, what if there's a Star Trek movie due out in a year or two? What if there's a Star Trek series and I'll miss the end. Now I can't die!

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sure, Temis, but you rent all kinds of films and regularly keep your queue stocked. You are a much different rental user than, say, someone of my parents' generation. And I think there definitely will be a backlash from those kinds of customers.

15. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish I had the money to say, "Oh, I have to wait another month to see the movie? Forget that, I'll just buy the DVD." Seeing as how I don't, if I still used Netflix, I'd just wait the 28 days and rent the movie then.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Netflix will lose some of their customers to Blockbuster or whoever focuses more on making big Hollywood movies available quickly to people who don't also care about old movies, foreign movies, TV series and documentaries (watching all that stuff is what keeps the queue full). That's okay; Netflix is probably getting too big and monopolistic anyway. Here in SF, practically all the video rental stores are gone - driven out of business.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 28 days thing doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. You wait months for a DVD to come out based on some arbitrary date anyway so as long as you don't let yourself get bothered by it being in stores it really isn't any different.

Sure ideally you could get it day of release but it seems like a tolerable compromise. I've been renting a lot lately because I have a massive DVD collection that I rarely dip into and I started to see what a money hole it was. Not to mention taking up space.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

For some reason that older generation doesn't seem like they would even be aware of release dates. My parents sure aren't.

19. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

My parents are...

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My mom spends her life watching re-runs of "Bones" and "Law & Order" on TNT. Frankly, if it's not on TNT, she probably isn't even aware of it.

She's also has no idea how to work a DVD player... :lol: