UFO episode reviews... [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I started a thread about the old series UFO a while back after digging up my old copies of the novelizations from it, and as a result discovered that the DVD set is actually quite affordable and purchased it forthwith. I began watching it with a friend who also saw it as a kid and the experience has been quite rewarding so far. I was in 5th and 6th grade when I watched UFO in its first run, and though I only saw a few episodes it has always been among the fondest of my sf/f memories – but watching shows you treasured as a kid can be an iffy thing as a adult, as those of us with a few yarns behind us know all too well… [Boomerang has proven that to me quite vividly lol, but that’s another thread. :D]

So after approaching UFO with both hope and fear, I am happy to come back damned impressed so far… it has its cheesy-60s-70s vibe of course, and the costumes are alternately sexy, interesting, goofy, and just plain bizarre. The women’s purple wigs and catsuits on Moonbase are infamous [let’s just say I want to be posted there... :p] but it goes beyond that, from microminiskirts that Bill Theiss must have loved to high-collared jackets that make most of the male leads look like unfrocked priests and the mesh shirts on the submarine crew which show the men’s nipples and chest hair… though the one female crewmember onboard seems to be wearing a tan top underneath her mesh, oddly enough… :lol:

[​IMG]

The loving attention to the modelwork is of course expected in an Anderson production – has there ever been any vessel as simultaneously cool and utterly fracking ridiculous as Skydiver lol? – and several are quite cool and justly famous in fan circles.

The show is actually quite dark in many ways, and as far from the kid vibe of Thunderbirds as possible… and deserves deeper discussion, which is why I’m starting a thread discussing the episodes I’ve watched and will be watching. Since there are only 26 episodes :( it won’t be that long a project.

OK, the first bunch will be up soon, I’ve watched more than half so far. In the meantime, here’s Lt. Ellis changing to keep you occupied:

[​IMG]

:D
    [​IMG]

2. omnirad

omnirad Commander Red Shirt

I showed a couple of episodes of UFO to a friend. He enjoyed making fun of the various dated aspects, moreso than Space:1999.
    If that isn't a left-handed complement of a sorts...

3. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both UFO and Space:1999 (Year One) are excellent. :bolian:

4. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

I found that most unfair...:devil:

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

LOL!! :guffaw::guffaw: And look the commander of the sub was the Cybercontroller on Dr. Who and the Robot in Tom Baker's first story. :techman:

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find those series 70-ness to be a plus. It is dated but gloriously so, it adds to the appeal for me at least, much like in Enter the Dragon.

7. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

UFO was great. I was ten when it hit the airwaves here in the states and it quickly became one of my favorite shows at the time. About two years ago, I found our library had the DVDs and started checking them out.

For its time, it looked great and I still enjoyed watching them after all this time.

8. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I caught this series on DVD a while back. There are some spectacularly silly moments and concepts - blue hair wigs, tear away mini skirts, the organization using a movie studio as a front - even so, this is a surprisingly sturdy show with some very good stories. Definitely was worth my time.

9. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I love this picture. There's something about it that reminds me of Jack Vettriano or Edward Hopper.

I really enjoy UFO. I don't have the love for it that I have for Space 1999, but I do like it. I really like your description of the men as unfrocked priests. There's something appealing about the notion. ;) Those ashtrays freak me out. Every time someone lights a fag on the moon I get the collywobbles. Honestly, all that infalted furniture and fake atmosphere, it's not a good combination!

10. QuasarVM

The premise for UFO is great. Even though I am generally against re-imaginings and remakes, this is one show that I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of...

I love Space:1999 more as well, but I doubt anyone could do that justice with any kind of a remake (Space:2999?)...

11. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

^^ And Neal McDonough is the hands-down only choice for Straker in a remake.

UFO would be a solid candidate for a modern remake; even some of its sillier costuming aspects could be adapted without being outright eliminated. The only thing I think would need to be changed would be the incredibly sexist attitude that prevailed throughout, both in the context of the characters and in the production itself. The vehicles and sets could easily be polished to modern standards without needing to redesign them (I'm always amazed, watching this show, that it was a contemporary of Star Trek!)

Still, it would be nice if they eliminated the discriminatory undershirts for the SkyDiver female crewmembers ... ;)

12. QuasarVM

And it's just obscure enough to have the freshness factor.

I think a UFO remake could be a huge hit.

13. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved UFO.

If Mike Myers got half his ideas for Austin Powers from 007 movies, then this is where he got the other half. :lol:

14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

My God, he would be perfect! I'd love to see this show remade, with modern FX and costuming. It could easily be contemporary, since the Moonbase was supposed to be secret...

It would be interesting to see how a new show would interpret the aliens. While the near-human aliens worked with storylines (and presumably limited budget) I see no reason why a remake couldn't give us believable Greys... Or something else entirely. Modern UFO reports are full of various types of aliens.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had the same idea. :techman: Also, Straker is from Boston, which is also McDonough's home city (he's from Dorchester).

Also: Dominic Keating as Paul Foster.

16. QuasarVM

You could do just about anything with that show...

Gerry Anderson and/or Carlton TV are sitting on a potential goldmine if they would only remake this series.

I've always thought it could be a huge hit if presented properly and with the right budget and visual effects.

I think they should do it and then eventually do "Space:1999" as a spinoff -- as it was originally planned to be!

Somebody really needs to do something with this property!

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

It seems that we're all pretty much in agreement; this show needs to be remade!

:techman:

18. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I think UFO could probably make an interesting remake, too. Much as I like DK he wouldn't be my choice for Paul Foster, who I always think has a bit of a macho, butch quality that Keating lacks for me.

19. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Keating would be better cast as the creepy doctor who was originally played by the marvellous Vladek Sheybal.

20. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Back in 1996 there was a proposal for a new version of UFO, a sequel not a remake. There were some interesting ideas, some good, some awful! Though I do like the idea that the typical 'Grey' alien does not exist, and was made up by SHADO so that they can easily spot which UFO reports are fabricated!

http://ufoseries.com/revival/proposal-text.html