DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah DiDio confirmed that this is still Bart Allen I think over SDCC. With the same relationship to Barry that he had before. We just don't know how this transpired this time. They're new timeline is really screwed up in my opinion...and no I haven't spent too much time or really any time trying to reconcile it or figure it out. Just my initial observation is that it is one of the most illogical comic book time line rationalizations ever.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not sure we know enough about the "timeline" to know how screwed up it is. All we do know is somethings are not like before.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't bother with New Guardians, flipped it through at the store, definitely not worth the money.

On the other hand, for Hawkman the art is gorgeous. I think Daniel might actually have written a book I'd want to read. But then its main selling point is the art and the coloring.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Read "The Flash" it was okay, though I'm not much into The Flash or have good handle on his powers or how simply being fast would be all that greatly useful in fighting crime/super villains. But it was a decent little book.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

So long as Mark Millar is still doing work for Marvel, even if it's just creator-owned stuff for Icon, I don't see Morrison going over to Marvel.

6. Admiral_Young

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

*sigh* I miss the old Superman. I really don't like him as a dick.

8. Hound of UIster

I hope it's JT Krul, but then Marvel probably doesn't want him. It's more likely either Jeff Lemire or Gail Simone.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Y
    Yeah, he hasn't been the same since Swan replaced Boring. :(

10. Admiral_Young

Miss Superman not acting like a dick? I guess Mr. Light isn't a big fan of Super Dickory! Besides which I've seen no examples in "Action Comics". Except maybe over kill on the heat vision glowy thing. :)

11. Hound of UIster

Superman standing up for the little guy = Superman being a dick.

12. Admiral_Young

^ I guess so according to Mr. Light.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's not a dick. He is edging toward being a character again, though.

14. Admiral_Young

Indeed. I guess Mr. Light just doesn't see that though and interprets the characterization as Supes acting like a dick, which I don't see at all.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

He's not warm and cuddly the way he used to be. He's more hard edged now. So far we've seen him terrorizing small businessmen in Action #1... attacking Batman without provocation in Justice League #1... and he did something all meanie in Superman #1 I forget what it was... also I just read JL Dark #1 and he was standoffish there too.

16. Admiral_Young

What? Are you talking about Glenmorgan? Did you read the issue right? We've yet to establish that Batman and Superman will actually fight in Justice League #2 yet.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You mean a totally corrupt business man? Basically Lex Luthor without the real ability of world domination.

Batman is sneaking around his town. Batman, in that same issue, took out a bunch of police choppers. Superman doesn't KNOW Batman at this point. Batman is a potential threat.

Yeah... not really seeing it.

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Johns and Lee can be safely dismissed; they're both DC Entertainment executives now.

Morrison won't bolt to Marvel; he's having too much fun playing with the mythology. Cornell isn't likely; I get the impression he felt burned by Marvel. I don't see Simone leaving, now that she's getting to write the Barbara Gordon Batgirl.

So, here's the four names that I think would be big if they left DC for Marvel:

Scott Snyder
    Dustin Nguyen
    Bryan Q. Miller
    Paul Dini

Snyder or Nguyen would be huge shocks if they left for Marvel. Dini would be a shock just because he's so identified with DC thanks to his animation work. Miller? Maybe not a big shock, but I loved his work on Batgirl and I'm kinda hoping he'll do a DCnU Stephanie Brown book.

My hunch is that if there's a high profile defection in the works, it's someone further down the totem pole, a Nick Spencer-type.

19. Admiral_Young

Scott Snyder is my heir apparent for Grant Morrison though...he can't leave! :)

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

SUPERMAN #1- Yeah, its a bit old fashion but I liked it. I hope we don't see Clarks news articles used as a narrative device again though. For the most part it was a pilot: we get the skinny on who's who and what's what in Superman's modern world. The GBS buying the Planet is an interesting nod to the same thing backing in the Seventies, though I looks like this time Clark is sticking with the Planet. Interesting that Clark isn't a superstar, awarding winning journalist this time around, instead is a guy who rarely lands on the front page. Which is probably a smart move,being a celebrity, even at the local level is not a good idea for a guy who doesn't wear a mask.

The SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1: I was prepared not to like this, but the art and story were suprisingly good. Still not sold on the costume as I'm not a fan of the "ooohh look how tough I am I got crazy sharp things on my costume" school of design. Internalizing the Nth metal is a pretty good idea. Carter Hall's background is mystery though. We know he was Hawkman and something happened that made him quit ( Sheira's death?) He not rich anymore since he was about to be evicted. He claims to be 100% human but our villain thinks otherwise.

AQUAMAN #1: Man that Ivan Reis sure draws purdy. I wish he was on Justice League or a Superman book. Over a pretty good blend of action and exposition. Though as other have pointed out, Johns trying a bit too hard to show Aquaman is cool. It looks like Johns is going the pure superhero route since Aquaman has cut ties with Atlantis and is staying in his fathers old lighthouse. Been a while since that approach was tried.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #1: Lame name but a pretty good read. Milligan knows how to put a team together. He manages to show/intro all the future members while telling a story. It didn't read like an issue of the Brave and the Bold. (coughJustice League)cough. Milligan can get outthere sometime, a few issue of his books have left me scratching my head, but he seem in control here. The art was very well done. Gorgeous in spots.

TEEN TITANS #1: Here's where I contradict myself, yes this was basically Red Robin and Wonder Girl team up with Kid Flash on the fist few pages and Superboy showing up on the last page, but it works in a way that JL didnt. The story seemed more focused. The art was a little too 90s Imagey for my tastes but servicable.

ALL-STAR WESTERN #1- I haven't really followed Jonah Hex, but I know the basics. The change of local was the hook for me. Sort of McCloud or Coogans Bluff in the 1800s. That local is Gotham and a few familer names pepper the supporting cast doesnt hurt either. Team Hex with Amadeus Arkham reminded me a book I enjoyed a few decades back called the Alienist written by Caleb Carr. Like Arkham, Carr's protagonist was a proto-psychatrist hunting a killer in a large 19th Century city (NYC).

BATMAN DARK KNIGHT #1- Didn't care for it. Finch's art is muddy and dark. And judging from an upcoming cover he might be be working from a swipe file. The story didn't draw me in either. Something about an IA cop going after Bruce Wayne and uhhh, some other stuff. Yeah escapees from Arkham.