So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo a couple days ago. I've lined up Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks to read next, but I haven't had much time the last few days. Work has been obnoxious, and I've been stressed and exhausted every day when I get home - nap, tub, and/or Netflix have held priority.

2. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished Full Circle last night. A great read and a great about face for Voyager. I was a bit surprised with how much of the Golden years is dispatched. Can't wait to read more from Beyer, though! I'm now a chapter or so into Over A Torrent Sea, which is quite good so far.

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Kirsten's Voyager has been amazing! It's always good to hear from another convert. If you liked FC, then you are in for a treat, as the next few Voyager books keep that quality level cranked right up :techman:

4. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished up the Cold Equations trilogy today. a very enjoyable read. I'm not a great fan of "we must save the universe" type plots, but I enjoyed The Body Electric despite that.

Up next, The Stuff of Dreams to wrap up the current 24th century continuity, then on to Vanguard.

5. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Finished off Allegiance in Exile, and started in on From History's Shadow...

6. CaffeineAddict

Well The Stuff of Dreams didn't last long. Enjoyed the revisit of the Nexus, as that was kinda left a loose end in Generations.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Currently reading Passage, Volume Three of Four in Lois McMaster Bujold's Western Fantasy series 'The Sharing Knife'. I've read a LOT of fantasy and Sci-Fi books in my life, and the series has catapulted onto my list of favorites with its intriguing and interesting mix of Western influences, epic romance, and Tolkien-esque Fantasy tropes, which is no mean feat.

I was already a fan of Bujold's writing before I started the series, but it's only bolstered her place on my list of favorite authors ever.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The art in both is techincally good, but it just doesn't look anything like what we saw onscreen. One of the biggest ones that has been in every TNG issue so far is the very strange engineering. Instead of what we saw on the show Geordi is sitting at a big console, and behind him is a big tube coming vertically out of hole in the ground, and it then meets up with a horizontal tube that goes into the wall. It looks absolutely nothing like anything we saw in the series ever. They appear to be into the third season at this point, so I would have thought by then someone would have noticed the inaccuracy. There are other things like that, but that is by far the most obvious.
    As for the TOS one it had Uhura either scanning with her phaser, or shooting Klingons with her tricorder, because they showed her using the same device to do both. Then at the end we see her and Kirk in their series uniforms during a scene set in the movie era. This one is at least a little more forgivable since they jumped between eras from one panel to the next.

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Finished Stone and Anvil and am now reading After the Fall. I've read about 150 pages and don't yet understand why Calhoun and Jellico are suddenly getting along after so many years of hating each other. I mean, he called him Eddie!

--Sran

10. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Coming to the end of DS9's Season 8 shortly. Just Rising Son and Unity to go!

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've jumped ahead 2 or 3 years in that one, so we do see a lot of stuff like that as the book goes on.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I started reading From History's Shadow...really good so far.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Stayed up until 1 AM last night to finish reading Joyland by Stephen King.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Only Superhuman by some guy named Benson...Bentley....something like that. ;)

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

16. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Indeed. I finished After the Fall this afternoon and started reading Missing in Action. I'm disappointed that I'm coming to the end of the novel series. It's too bad Peter David hasn't written any more New Frontier novels: I wouldn't mind seeing from new blood take over the series.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that David uses the phrase "in point of fact" a lot? (And please don't reply to this by using the phrase as part of your response.)

--Sran

17. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Finally, FINALLY, started The Captain's Daughter by Peter David.

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Gene DeWeese's Chain of Attack.

19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. CaffeineAddict

about half way through Harbinger, the first vanguard novel. So far the description of the station and its inhabitants is reminding me a lot of Babylon 5.