Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

Anyone else completely fed up of the signal missions? Literally every time I try and enter one to defend a sector, I just get the option to bugger off back into sector space.

It's remarkably frustrating.

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

You could sell your Blue and Purple DOFFs.

3. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the actual quote is - not for the next 12 months.

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. :vulcan: *ducks*

4. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, sell a number of green and blue doffs will get you there. I had my Klingon toon sell two regular doffs and a green one in which I got 800,000ec for them

5. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh good. I'll just have to sell about 500 green DOFFs for the bug ship then, considering current Exchangeprices.

6. Trek

Is it wrong that right now I'm more interested in the Photonic Tribble than the Bug ship?

7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

No, That and the EMH are available on the exchange for affordable prices. :)
    Go for it. :techman:
    I did.

8. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really? I have 2 of the Photonic Tribbles, but I don't have an EMH yet. I hope there's some left when I get home tonight. I tried looking last night for these on the exchange and couldn't find them.

9. Timelord Victorious

They are not called EMH... look for Photonic Science Officer

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I decided to have Tyler cash in his extra holiday stuff for latinum and managed to get 19,000 out of it.

11. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks !! And thanks to some C-store points and EC, all of my toons are now equiped with both Horta's, an EMH, photonic tribble, gekli, exocomp/targ pup, and stylish scarfs. Now if only I could get that elusive Jem'Hadar ship !! :bolian:

12. Trek

Right. I know what I'm doing as soon as I login later.

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read about this last night (sorry, I'm slow on STO news). I am thrilled, as I loved the game but couldn't afford the month to month, and lifetime just wasn't going to happen. I'm a very casual player, and mostly just liked hanging around in universe, visiting other ships and stations, and doing side missions here and there. I have my T5 Galaxy class retrofit, which makes me happy, and I can't wait to reconnect with my crew after being away for so long (I haven't played in almost a year now).

Having checked the F2P limitations, I don't actually see anything that I dislike. What they give away, I was paying $15 a month to do! The limitations are very reasonable, to the point where I'm wondering how they'll make money this way. I mean, full, unrestricted access, I get to keep my ship, crew and costumes as they are, I get 48 slots in the bank (I never used more than 10). What a deal!

Now I just have to hold out until Jan. 17th, which will feel like forever. :lol:

14. Timelord Victorious

Well, their reasoning is, free players have less hesitation to buy in teh c-store since they are saving money for a subscription and get used to it so eventually pay more then a subscription. That would be the ideal case for them.
    Although even when FTP attracts 10 players that spend 5 bucks a month in their store that's better for them then 3 players spending 15 bucks on a monthly subscription.

15. Amaris

Ah, yes, the C-Store. I forgot about that. Hopefully they'll clean up in the C-store, because I love this idea. :lol:

16. Timelord Victorious

You'll love the C-Store. NOW you can buy mystery boxes that have a snowball's chance in hell to unlock ultra-rare items like jem 'Hadar bug ships or unique Duty officers.
    of course if you get worthless junk out of it you can always buy another and try again! Greta, isn't it?
    In other news, you get a whole new bunch of ships with extra powers that make the baseline ships look a bit meh. :)

17. Amaris

Sounds great. Can't wait to try it out after so long. That said, I wish Cryptic would let the game receive patches even without an account. I know Blizzard allows this for WoW. I just think it's a good idea. Plus, it lets me pass the time while I wait for F2P kick in. Instead, I'll have to wait until January 17th to update the game. A year's worth of updates. Feh.

18. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I'm just wondering, what's the 'legality' of using ship designs that have been in computer games made by other games? If CBS (or whoever holds the Star Trek copyrights) owns the right to use whatever ships designs that have ever been in a Star Trek game, would you guys reckon they should start bringing in other classes for extra variety?

I can imagine the Romulans for one could do with extra variety (the Shrike and Griffon classes would be welcome additions). It would also help the possibility of other factions becoming playable if they have the variety to sustain them, rather than just having the cannon fodder/cruiser/battleship trio of ship classes that seem to exist for non-playable factions.

19. Timelord Victorious

That chance is Zero. CBS may hold the license for Trek in general, but any designs out of other games belong to the developing company and while it is theroretically not out of teh question to "rent" it, it would be way to expensive to do it.
    It's easier to design new ships themselves. WHich they do in abundance and then sell them in the C-Store to the users.

20. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Yeah I had a feeling that if the developing companies still held the rights to the designs, that'd be the case. Oh wells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.