Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 18, 2011.

?

How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2012.
  1. A+

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. A-

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. B+

27 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Oh ok. I was just thinking about other villains and non-Hydra storylines you could have back then, but I guess if you're going to do the WWII era, you might as well have him in the war fighting somebody.

And I guess other villains could always be working with Red Skull in some peripheral way.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

If I remember correctly, Cap was supposed to possess the height of human strength and ability. It was noted that because of this strength, he was capable of lifting his shield. A normal person couldn't. Bucky could because his shield arm was robotic.

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Bolt is at the peak of human potential; Steve exceeds what a normal human, even at peak, can do. He can run like Usain Bolt, but at far more sustained pace. His strength is greater than what a normal person can achieve, etc. The very ability to maintain these kinds of peaks constantly is superhuman.
    No, lifting the shield isn't an issue. Anyone can do that. The rare skill is being able to throw it like he does; Bucky's arm allowed him to do that, and Hawkeye, who has no special powers, could also do it because he's so skilled with projectiles.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the formula amplifies what they each already are, so what is amplified for each of them is different from the other.

Also, the formulas they took, and/or the procedure they underwent, were stated not to be completely identical, so there could be differences from that too.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just came back from seeing this despite the cold and thought it was awesome. It has surpassed "Iron Man" for me as my favorite Marvel Studio film. I'm not going to do a full or even brief review here but I did give this an A and almost was tempted to give it a full A+. It is my second favorite movie of the year after "X-Men:First Class". I thought Chris Evans was very impressive as Steve Rogers. Hugo Weaving was okay as Red Skull (he looked damn cool though). Hayley Atwell was stunning and charming as Peggy Carter. Sebastian Stan didn't have very much to do as Bucky in this movie but then again I wasn't expecting him in it a lot in the first place. I loved the period feel to the film, and Alan Silvestri's score was beautiful, among his best works in my opinion. I'll probably be seeing this one or two more times.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Bucky never took the serum then? I had assumed that since he took on the Captain America persona, he must have taken the serum too.

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. The implication was that it took Cap the better part of several months (if not longer) to actually find Red Skull before the final battle and, during that time, he and the Howlers (including Bucky) had successfully taken out a number of other Hydra bases as part of their effort at stopping him.

8. Admiral_Young

I don't remember if his genetics were tampered with in the process of him becoming Winter Solider. It's been a while since I read that arc.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think he was tampered with, other than giving him the robotic arm to replace the one he lost. But it's been a long time since I've read it too.

10. CaptainCanada

No, the serum remained lost. Bucky was a normal human (apart from the cyborg arm, of course).

11. Admiral_Young

I found it fascinating that Cap found him strapped in a medical table groggy (possibly drugged). Perhaps this is one of the ways the writers will explain Winter Solider if they go that route in sequels.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was wondering if that was a set up for future movies.

13. Admiral_Young

It was hinted as a possibility in press junkets. Sebastian Stan brought it up as well a couple of times. Everyone is well aware of what happens to Bucky.

14. CaptainCanada

Brubaker and Epting get special thanks in the credits (along with the original creators and Millar and Hitch), and the people at the studio always mention his stories as one of the main models for making the movies, so yeah, I'm expecting Winter Soldier at some point. It's probably his most acclaimed story.

15. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is what I'm thinking. Whatever Zola was doing didn't seem to turn Bucky into a super soldier, but It could have had other effects that would make the Winter Soldier scenario possible. In fact, it could be That Zola laid the ground work for the mind control aspect.

16. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But during those musical numbers, didn't they have Cap holding up a motorcycle with three girls sitting on it? I remember noticing that they had Cap trembling a little to show he was pushing it and it wasn't easy.

Also, the movie was pretty clear that Skull had received an early version of the super soldier serum. it was that faulty serum that caused Skull's cosmetic changes; but we're left to assume it gave him the strength and endurance too.

17. Admiral_Young

Speaking of Dr. Zola...I loved Toby Jones performance (even though his suit reminded me of his Dream Lord outfit in "Doctor Who". I loved the little homage to his comic counterpart when we're first introduced to his character. That made me laugh. I love when films make a point of doing that.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I actually laughed out loud when I saw that.

19. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Are you sure you weren't watching a rerun of the Matt Salinger version?

This movie is superb. Squeaks past Iron Man as my favorite superhero movie ever.

20. Valar

Valar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually Johnston, the director, stated that cap takes place over a three year period of WW2 , so it takes a few months to get steve rogers geared up into cap mode, and then the montage covers a few years of time, then the finale.