New live action "Turtles"?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Borgified Corpse, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

2. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

it is. surprising as it sounds a lot like Will Arnett but then he is playing a human character so that just confused me even more :D

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm really conflicted about this now. On one hand, yes it does look silly (and I'm still not sold on the Turtles' noses). But on the other hand it looks fun and seems to have a bit of the spark that makes the Turtles so fun.

Dammit...I'm probably going to see this in theaters.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

If nothing else, it actually does sound like they have the Turtles' personalities down. Donatello trying to be cool, but being a dork, Raphael making the sarcastic comment about Donny's "Batman voice," Leonardo being the serious one, and the Michelangelo being goofy.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It was pretty goddamn bad.

Is it supposed to be campy fun? Dramatic? Grimdark? We don't know, let's just do them all!

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like a ninja turtle film to me. I'm in.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think it looks too bad, if my nephew or niece are asking to see it I wouldn't mind taking them. As one who was too old when they came out it looks better than those original TMNT movies to me.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, it's my childhood this movie is raping, so I should be in the group that cares, but I really don't. It looks like a modern Hollywood film and a modern Bay film that's slightly on the lighter/campier side than Transformers (which is appropriate for a Ninja Turtles film). Although, given the original comicbook, it could probably go way darker than this if they wanted to (I'm glad they aren't). Shredder as a character is over-designed, so making him more over-designed doesn't really bother me either. Upping the explosions and the stakes of the story seems likely for any modern Hollywood film.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no intention of seeing this movie. I just don't see any reason to be outraged. They're preserving the concept for the most part so I don't have to worry about young kids thinking they're aliens or anything. Once you do that, the rest is whatever.

9. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was worse than I was expecting and my expectations were pretty low to begin with.

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Are you guys clicking on that link? It said "Video removed by user" hours ago. No matter, I found the trailer and watched it. Can't tell if Shredder is an Autobot or a Decepticon.

11. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He is a lost Cybertronian called "The Foot".

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer earlier this morning, and it looks like goofy, stupid fun. Almost a so bad it's good kind of thing.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looks like goofy fun. as a TMNT fan i feel that i've already survived the worst they can throw at me. Next Mutation, the Image Comics, TMNT 3...

14. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just enjoy seeing Megan Fox half-assing her way through a movie. :p

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's kind of how i feel.. i miss the cartoony look of the original movies.

However there was one scene in the new trailer that had me laughing quite a bit.. when April takes a picture of the high fiving Turtles on the rooftop and the flash goes off.

They stop in the middle of the high five and wonder what this was.. that was a true Turtle moment :guffaw::guffaw:

It sure looks like a Bay movie and for Turtles that may not be bad necessarily. If they kept the old style Turtles i would be excited for it, as it stands i'm interested and may see it at the theater if an opportunity presents itself and some of my friends want to see it too.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is with them CGI and therefore costing a lot of money by simply just being on screen, I presume (especially with Bay's name attached) to expect a load of highly annoying wacky human characters talking shit, acting "ker-azy", and other lame hijinx just like the Transformers movies.
    Can't wait for that...

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it looked dreadful. But then I suppose how do you really not a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live action movie not look pretty stupid? Definitely fair enough that it's not an easy challenge.

Any chance of a Vanilla Ice cameo? ;)
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7dt0Wscpc[/yt]

Haha, looking at that it's hard to believe it was even a real film. I remember seeing that at the movies for my 7th birthday with a few friends. Obviously at that age we loved it, but my poor mother who had to take us all and sit with us... :lol: she must have been thinking "wtf is this shit" for its entirety :D

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Turtles 2 still holds up pretty well for me. Sure the Vanilla Ice sequence is a bit silly, but there's still some pretty cool fights if you're into that sort of thing.

19. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like they're harkening back to the original movies with the camp, but problem is they're also trying to make this sort of 'dark', and I don't know if it's working. Also, dare I say it, it looks like Bay is spoofing himself with this movie.