TNG Numbered Books?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Patrick O'Brien, Mar 15, 2013.

1. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Dude, spoilers much?

2. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, it is getting on for 25 years old. Not sure if spoilers are REALLY necessary...?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think that's a spoiler, because it just establishes the situation; it doesn't reveal how it turns out.

4. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Well I'd agree if patrick hadn't just announced his plans to read the book next...

Well for myself at least, I wouldn't want to know. I'd like to ease into it as it happens.

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great list of the older Tng novels. Qin law is one of my favorites of the numbered books. Survivors. A rock and A hard place. Most of the Tng books I kept are the older numbered novels.A.C. Crispins novel with Selar Adopting the andorian girl was my favorite part of that novel. Imzadi is one of my favorite TNG novels. I also like Howard Weinstein's novels Perchance to dream.I've been reading the older tng numbered books lately. I also like Metamorphsis and Immortal Coil.I like novels that feature Data in them.

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I see used copies of " Imzadi", in every used book store I go into. I am guessing it sold very well when it was first released?

7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I would suspect so - It appears a lot on peoples best treklit lists, and was released when TNG was still ongoing.

--edit

Imzadi II notes that the first was a New York Times bestseller.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  8. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

The warning I would give is that while Peter David is a very talented writer, he has a very particular style and not everyone enjoys his humor. If you have read a Peter David novel and enjoyed it, then you will enjoy this book, if you have read a Peter David novel and didn't like it, be wary about going into this one.

Many writers get better over time, and their style may vary, but not Peter David. I found everyone one of his books that I read to feel pretty similar.

On the plus side, he has a penchant for certain background characters that he likes to develop and carry through all his books. It provides a nice sense of continuity beyond just what you saw on the screen.

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The paperback edition of "Imzadi" has the New York Times Bestseller mention as it's tag line. Remember, "Imzadi" was a hardcover release first in 1992 and then got a paperback release right around the airing of "Descent". (Not to mention, but the color for the Word "Imzadi" on the cover was changed for the paperback.)

10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Well when I'm north of 300 trek books with as limited shelf space as I have, I'm just happy I could find imzadi 2! And in thirteen minutes by my edit date, must be a record.

I'll find my copy of imzadi at some point when I don't need it, no doubt

11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Last time I counted, I think I had between 4 & 500 Trek books on my overcrowded shelves. But I found Imzadi within 2 minutes.

But I can't believe that I forgot to mention #25 "Grounded" by David Birschoff. As a kid I remember that I had tried reading a few Trek novels (such as "Pawns & Symbols") but it really wasn't til I red "Grounded" that I got hooked on Trek novels.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It probably is when the OP has just announced an intention to seek out the book for the first time.

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been doing my own re-read of the TNG books, but i'm planning on reading everything in chronological order, including DS9 and VOY. I just started "A Rock and a Hard Place" last night. Far superior to David's first TNG effort. "Strike Zone" has not aged well in my eyes. He wrote most of the characters in that one as annoying smartasses.

14. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Strike Zone is pretty much the only trek media I can think of where I actually like Wesley

if that's not an accomplishment I don't know what is

15. Patrick O'Brien

^You did not like Wesley in David Mack's last book?

16. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Well, traveller Wesley isnt really the same Wesley as the tv series. Even then, since ascension he's pretty....I guess boring's probably a bit too strong, so let's go with milquetoast.

17. Patrick O'Brien

^Funny:guffaw:Though when I was a kid watchinfg TNG I have to admit I thought Wesley was cool. Wheaton is much better as himself on Big Bang.

18. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

I have only one piece of advice. Find a copy of Gulliver's Fugitives, buy it and read the fuck out of it. Then when your brain has recovered from the concentrated dose of awesome, come on back and thank me. Don't worry I'll be here. ;-)

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And Wil Wheaton got the bulk of the fan mail too, according to Richard Arnold. It seemed to be some of the adult fans who disliked Wesley.

20. Patrick O'Brien

Now that I am older I can see why people could be annoyed with his character. Though Wesley has a few solid episodes to his credit like "The First Duty".