What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by I am not Spock, Feb 4, 2013.

1. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Did he fuck up the flag? My guess is no, and that's my point.

He may have made a few choices or altered certain events for the story he was telling (I don't know, I've yet to see Lincoln) but my guess is he payed a lot of attention to certain details.

It's impossible to get everything right, but a flag isn't easy to fuck up unless you're just not giving a shit.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a novel thought...why not wait to judge the movie based on the movie itself rather than the trailer?

Not that trailers ever contained material that didn't appear in exactly the same way in the final product...

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh good lord. At first glance it appears symmetrical as someone said but after you read about it - it's not. It's not as if to the casual American viewer or even someone who's a skilled American director that such a thing would be obvious whereas I'm assuming even to the most inexperienced British director hanging the American flag upside down would be an obvious and stupid mistake unless they were trying to make a political point.

I'm doubting that Abrams thought having special production people on staff to make sure the Union Jack was flying in a few frames right was worth the cost and no one in pre and post production caught the mistake.

If anyone deserves blame here it's set design not Abrams.

Oh and BTW, why didn't Benedict Cumberbatch who is a British actor catch the problem when they were filming it?

or

Mickey Smith from Dr. Who is another famous British actor who was cast in some of the scenes where the flag is flying.

They must not be patriots?

4. FlapJoy

I totally agree... sometimes scenes are reversed, flipped, even played backwards for trailers... but I looked at a screen shot... and it's just wrong. It doesn't really matter, it has no real bearing on anything important or worthwhile (although a British citizen might see it differently)... but it is lazy. Lazy is bad for movies.

It's not about patriotism. It's not about blame, it's just dumb... really, really, dumb.

5. DarthTom

Meh. Alfred Hitchcock is well known as one of the most particular film makers ever and even he was prone to some glaring mistakes. In the film Psycho:

6. Urgent Sky

Urgent Sky Commodore Commodore

Do you think they could fix it in post? I read somewhere that they changed all the Chinese flags to North Korean flags for that "Red Dawn" remake that nobody watched. Maybe they could correct the Union Jack so it's flying correctly?

Not that fixing it matters to me, but if people are going to make that big a deal out of it...

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

May be upside down for a reason; London does get attacked after all.

8. FlapJoy

And by itemizing the list of mistakes it means you noticed them... it's fun to notice them. But it's bad for movies. Now every time you see those movies you'll notice these mistakes, that's bad for movies... I'm just saying.

And what an optometrist notices or a British flag expert notices are going to be different and specific... but hanging a flag right? That's child's play.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, I'm willing to bet that Chekov had a Russian flag in his quarters. :)

10. DarthTom

You can find these types of mistakes in all of the Trek Films - from First Contact:

Not only is New Zeland's flag wrong - it's missing from the planet. ;)

11. FlapJoy

The funny thing is... if JJ were to fuck up the UFP flag, you guys would tear him a sideways asshole. ;)

12. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Harrison sounds English....Harrison attacks London...takes control...demands flags from 'the ol country' be flown in his honor...flags are flown upside down to spite him...Harrison is too busy to really notice.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Nope.

14. FlapJoy

Exactly...it doesn't matter... but it is dumb

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Could be the flags are supposed to be that way. They were seconds accidentally sent to that building. They knew they were wrong, but flew them anyway thinking no one would notice (or at least care). But then Harrison sees them and that's what makes him go batshit and start detonating things.

In other words, those flags could be an important plot point.

Or not.

16. DarthTom

Likely not. What will be more interesting is if post production people who monitor and/or post anonymously on sites like the Trek BBS pay attention to such shit and will modify the image before the film goes to final print.

17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    ..and charge the production an extra $10,000 dollars for doing it.

:lol:

18. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I was in Rome at the end of 2012, and pretty much every Italian government building I passed had both the Italian flag and the EU flag, indicating that there was both a national government and a larger union of member states. So it seems very appropriate that the trailer featured a building with both the UK flag and the UFP flag. If anything, it might've been nice to also see a United Earth flag, but it's just a 30 second bit of video, how much can you really fit in?

19. Dart

Dart Commodore Commodore

This thread is literally the first place I ever heard of the Union Jack being able to be up-side down. :lol: Carry on.

20. DarthTom

:lol: Question. Would an Irish man get his titties in a twist if the flag went from orange to green on a flag pole instead of the reverse in a sci-fi movie? ;)