Dexter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 18, 2011.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it's feeling more tired and formulaic with every season.

The shame of it is, they had a really cool idea in pitting Dexter against another mentor/student combo. They just forgot to make those characters remotely compelling.

Colin Hanks is a solid enough actor, but in a show like this you really need to have a dynamic, charismatic villain, and he's just not it.

2. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I seem to have lost my post somewhere in the ether...I'm sorry if this shows up as a double post...

I completely agree with this statement. I would have been much happier if Edward James Olmos had been allowed to go it alone as an independent (living!) villain. I think his performance could have rivalled John Lithgow's (given a decent story arc).

This wouldn't have given us much in the way of originality...but at least it would have given us a compelling performance to watch...

3. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah. I would liked it if Gellar was real and he killed Travis instead of the other way around and began seeking another apprentice. But I fear that wouldn't be enoug to completely save this season. Season 6 doesn't really very tight as a season. It feels more like a cluster of random plots.

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

so do you think we are going to have christmass episode for dexter?

5. Joe Washington

I doubt it and frankly, I don't care.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

This season is infinitely better than last season since we don't have to sit through the insipid Batista/LaGuerta marriage. That was like waterboarding. Speaking Batista are they gonna kill him off or are the Doomsday lameos just going to let him live because the world's ending in a few days? If so it's a copout after Travis made that speach about not wanting to be in jail when the end came. Bet they don't have the stones to whack Batista.

7. Santeria

Santeria Lieutenant Commander

He's likely going to be used in one of the next scenes they put together, but Dexter or someone else will be able to save him in time. Assuming they don't want to get rid of him completely. Which I kind of doubt since they're emphasizing his sister so much as of late.

8. davejames

It was cool hearing Dexter refer to himself again as the Bay Harbor Butcher. That was such a badass name, and it always bugged me that he didn't embrace or flaunt it more (especially when going up against guys like Miguel or Trinity, who were always trying to intimidate him or show him up).

But I guess that just goes to how soft and loveable the writers have tried to make him over the years. He's no longer the dark, mysterious, vaguely creepy guy he used to be.

9. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm finally caught up and am personally enjoying this season a lot more than 5. It has an actual arc and plot instead of just a bunch of random things happening.

10. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

The last episode is called This is the way the world ends. Let's hope T.S Eliot was wrong about how it's going to happen.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude, we all know you haven't cared since Season 2.

12. Joe Washington

Actually it was during Season 4 that I started to care less about the show. Season 3 was actually decent.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Care-Less Care Bear and Careless Care Bear fought in a cage match, who would win and if either of them would give Carless Care Bear a ride back to Careville from the Thunderdome?

14. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking back, Dexter's story reached a climax when his Code and his desires clashed, then he decided to turn himself in rather than kill Doakes. Everything in the Dexter story has been stalling or even retrogression. No wonder it seems anticlimactic.

Changing Harry from a flashback to whatever he is now, in season three, was a key point in the degeneration of the series' writing quality.

15. davejames

I forgot he was actually about to turn himself in that season. Wow, that really reminds me of just how intense and highly-charged this show used to be.

Back then, you never quite new what Dexter was going to do, or when he might be exposed. Now it's settled into such a routine, that you know anyone who even comes close to finding out the truth is going to wind up conveniently dead before they can reveal anything.

16. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

so they it ended last week and from what I can tell of this weeks previews.
    do you think they are going to kill off batista and deb?

17. Guy Gardener

It was weird seeing Deb on the Goodwife last week, but that might mean that she's looking for new revenue streams if she's "leaving" Dexter.

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt she's leaving. A lot of actors work on other projects when their show isn't in production. Michael C. Hall has filmed three movies during Dexter's run. The other Dexter actors pop up all over the place.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I hope the Deb/Dexter romance they were suggesting in the TV spot for next week doesn't happen. That's about the worst place the show could go at this point.

I just marathoned the whole season yesterday and today. Hey, I was bored. While it wasn't as bad as I was expecting (season five levels), it has big problems. Namely, Brother Sam was the most interesting character to be introduced this year, and he was offed half-way through the season. Colin Hanks just isn't interesting as the killer (he looks awkward and confused much of the time he's supposed to be menacing), and Edward James Olmos was criminally underused as his Dark Passenger.

Speaking of which, if that twist wasn't obvious to everyone by, say, episode six at the latest, I'll eat my hat. It certainly wasn't the big reveal episode nine tried to sell it as. As interesting as the actual kills have been (not to mention fantastically implausible -- even if Geller had been real there's no way two guys could have pulled of those murders without being seen by a witness or two, especially not in the time allotted) the Doomsday Duo has been the dullest season-long killers up to this point.

Also, I don't know what's going on with the Quinn character, but if the writers think we have any sympathy for the asshole, they're dead wrong. He's just a waste of screen time at this point, and dead weight as a cop. I like the new guy so far, who has been portrayed as confident, but able to make mistakes (i.e. thinking Deb wasn't his new Lieutenant).

The TV spot for next week sure made it look like David Zayas was on his way out. On one hand, that would be disappointing, since even in the midst of all the boring interpersonal story lines they've been handing him he's still the most likable cop (I can't believe two seasons were wasted on his relationship with LaGuerta, only to have it ended off screen between seasons; now we have his never before seen sister suddenly central to his life...remember when he had a daughter he cared about? I know this season has suggested a couple of times that she doesn't make time for her father, but what about in seasons 2-5?).

I don't really see Deb being offed making any dramatic sense; if anything, it would be a practical move, since Carpenter and Hall divorced during season five and it must be hell-a awkward (plus, Hall is an executive producer, and the only character that isn't at all disposable).

The voice over is still horrible (half the time it's Dexter being Captain Obvious for the sake of really, really stupid viewers) and Harry only makes it worse, since he takes over what would otherwise be important voice over, forcing the writers to use Dexter's narration to impart far less essential (or obvious) information.

20. Guy Gardener

"You could even be the Bay Harbour Butcher."

"I ...I am the Bay Harbour Butcher."

was hilarious, but it reminded me of this...

"I signed up for Second Life about a year ago. Back then, my life was so great that I literally wanted a second one. In my second life I was also a paper salesman and I was also named Dwight. Absolutely everything was the same. Except I could fly."