Why Wasn't Crisis on Two Earths Part of the DCAU?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Andonagio, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Andonagio

Andonagio Commander Red Shirt

I really enjoyed the recent DVD film Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. I know that the story was revamped from Justice League: When Worlds Collide for the DC Animated Universe sometime back. Why did they choose to revamp it instead of keeping it part of the DCAU? It seems to me that this wouldn't have taken any extra effort, and they may have even saved some money by bringing the original voice talents back instead of hiring those bigger-name stars.

Any insights?

2. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

Because the DCAU is almost five years dead now, and people just need to move on?

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's not like anybody on a Star Trek discussion board would have any interest in the continuation of a show that was canceled years ago. :shifty:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'd say it's marketing. These DC Universe movies are aimed at a different market segment than the DCAU -- instead of a TV series aimed at preteen and teen viewers, they're standalone direct-market DVD features aimed at viewers 13 and above. So from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to keep them at least nominally independent of what's come before.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think it was just a creative decision to try something new. The direct-to-dvd movies give them more flexibility.

Also, I think they sold the idea to the studios that these would be *separate* stories, and it would have been a pain explaining how this one is really in-continuity and that one isn't...