The Twilight Saga: New Moon Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^^^
    Yeah, I read a description somewhere of the fourth book, and it sounded majorly fucked up. Granted, I'm not really familiar with the Twilight universe, so maybe it seems less insane to someone who is but... wow. It really makes me wonder why so many girls are in love with this series.

Box office news, if anyone's interested: this past weekend, New Moon made $42.9 million, falling a rather steep 70% from its opening weekend -- but considering how much money it's already made, I doubt Summit is terribly bothered by that.

Its domestic total currently stands at $233,334,668, making it the 6th highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- it will probably take 5th place away from Star Trek after next weekend. :sigh: Worldwide, it's closing in on $480 million.

2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean, there's actually sex in the latter novels? Wow, I should probably start reading the series. ;)

3. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heh...I went with my wife to see it Sunday night and there were three women, apparently in their mid-late 50s right behind us giggling and swooning like 13 year olds over Jacob...it was disturbing, but not nearly as disturbing as the things my wife overheard in the restroom after the movie...what the ladies were saying they'd like to do to Jacob...

You're right...imagine the reaction if a 50 year old dude had been talking about the things he'd like to do to high school girls...

As for the movie, I dreaded going, but it was not nearly as bad as I had expected. Yeah, it was cheesy and really overdone at points, but it certainly wasn't the worst movie I've seen in theaters this year...it was better than Transformers 2...

4. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting to see American views towards Gitmo and Waterboarding..... I don't share your sense of humor on these things.

5. Praxius

Well no wonder why you didn't like it.... lol.... If I had to put up with that in any movie, no matter how good it was, I'd probably come out afterwards hating it too. :lol:

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Oh it's much more creepy:

-- Knowing that this pregnancy is endangering Bella's life, wanting to terminate this pregnancy and not wanting to deny Bella the experience of childbirth and motherhood, Edward asks Jacob to make love and have a baby with Bella. Jacob is shocked that Edward would ask such a thing, and although he doesn't really want to, he also finds the idea of sleeping with Bella incredibly tempting and agrees to suggest the idea to Bella. For the most part, Bella doesn't realize what he means. When she does, she is touched by Edward's caring for her, but refuses their offer because she considers it repulsive to sleep with anyone other than Edward or have anyone else's baby.

As the fetus continues to develop at an alarmingly accelerated rate, Bella's health worsens. Her stomach is bruised in multiple places from the baby's movements. Two of her ribs crack, her pelvis is almost broken, and her pallor is unhealthy. Her body continues to reject human food, and Jacob sarcastically thinks about the "creature" craving for blood. Edward overhears this thought, and the Cullens allow Bella to sample human blood. To Bella's surprise, the blood smells and tastes appealing, and revives her almost the instant she drinks it. During Bella's pregnancy, Edward realizes he can read the child's mind, and is astonished to discover that the baby already loves Bella and doesn't mean to hurt her like it does. As he hears his child's thoughts, Edward begins to love the baby as well. This leaves Jacob feeling betrayed, as he was counting on Edward to suffer more and to hate the baby more than he did.

--
    Bella goes into labor approximately a month after the honeymoon. The hard placenta that surrounds the child cracks; Bella begins vomiting blood. The child breaks free and Bella is very near death. Edward delivers the baby, a girl, and begins to transform Bella into a vampire. He injects his venom into her heart and bites her in several places. Jacob and Edward perform CPR to try to keep Bella's heart beating while the venom transforms her. Eventually Jacob comes to believe that Bella is dead, and is viciously sent away by Edward.
    Driven mad with rage over Bella's supposed death, Jacob goes to find and kill the baby whom he holds responsible. He finds her in Rosalie's arms, but before he can attack, the baby looks him directly in the face. Jacob sees that the baby's eyes are exactly the same shade of brown as Bella's. Jacob suddenly feels everything attaching him to the world breaking apart, leaving only a caring for Renesmee (the baby) holding him to life. Jacob has imprinted on Renesmee.

-- Edward takes Bella on her first hunt to ease her thirst. Before they leave, Alice shows Bella her reflection. She has transformed into a stunningly beautiful woman with flawless skin and newborn-vampire red eyes. Bella experiments with her new body on the hunt. She is now graceful, strong, and fast. While hunting, she accidentally crosses a human scent. However, she resists the urge to kill and runs away to avoid bloodshed. Edward is astounded, as newborns hunting shouldn't be able to deny their instincts.

--

Edward takes her to Isle Esme off the coast of Brazil. Edward then fulfills Bella's wish and makes love to her. The next day they argue because Edward's passionate love making left dark bruises all over Bella's body. Although Bella doesn't care about the injuries, he refuses to make love to her again until she has become a vampire. In Edward's attempt to dampen Bella's making love appetite and energy, they engage in physically exhausting outdoor activities day after day on the island. Bella begs Edward to make love to her once again; Edward continuously refuses, as he does not wish to injure her further. Later, however, he succumbs to her. They make love cautiously and Edward does not inflict any bruises on Bella.
    Bella knows she will become a vampire and not be able to see her friends anymore so she dreams about them dieing where she finds them dead with a pile of dead bodies.

Linkage

7. Praxius

That's because us "Nerds" know what it's all about to be treated like fools for enjoying a story not everybody gets..... I've been called a nerd for liking Star Trek as well, but I'm not about to shat all over Twilight fans for what they like just as what was done to me.

This evil cycle has to stop people..... oh the humanity of it all :lol:

8. Praxius

Well that's no suprising, considering The Dark Knight wasn't as youth oriented, I'd suggest it's fan base was just a wee bit more limited in age brackets.

9. Praxius

Actually from reading some people's views on Underworld, I didn't mind the first Underworld movie, but the second and the third were certainly not very memorable.

To be honest, I'd rather watch the Twilight movies over the Underworld movies anyday.

That oughta rile up some people :P

10. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

my goodness... :wtf:

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, they're such great novels for teen girls to read, aren't they?

:)

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Anyone watch Spoony's "review" of New Moon/Twilight in general?

LINK

Like pretty much all of Spoony's reviews/rants it's fairly long, but he makes some good points.

13. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

Don't get excited. After 3+ books of build up, when we finally get to the "love scene".... it "fades out" and cuts to the morning after.

14. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy frakkin' hell! :scream: Sounds a lot like a badly written fan fic with lots of wild sex, blood, and love triangles.

15. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

That's because that is all the Twilight books are: badly written Mary Sue fic.

Joy

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Please quit stating your opinion as fact. You might consider the novels to have no value, but there are clearly others, myself included, who don't share that sentiment.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I liked the books. They aren't great but they are very entertaining. I find it amusing how much hate there is for this series. Maybe Bella isn't that great as a role model but I kind of like how all the main characters are very flawed.

18. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

somebody really should write Carlisle's story. Imagine being a doctor and a vampire in the middle of the flu epidemic of 1912(I think?) All these people dying around you, and youre trying to save them, youre undead yourself and you have a way to end their suffering, but would it really be ending their suffering? That could make an epic book(or movie.)

19. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

YES. YES. And more YES. I would most definitely read a book about Carlisle. I've said to my friends that if Meyer and Paolini had just ignored their "main" characters and simply written about their secondary characters, they would have actually had really interesting books. Well... at least the stories would be more interesting. The writing, well... One really has to wonder who their editors were, because methinks they should not be editors if they let crap writing like Eragon and Twilight onto the mass market.

And DigificWriter: Nowhere in my post did I use the word "fact". I was simply stating my own opinion, like many, many others have done on this board.

Joy

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly!
    No one really cares about Bella and her forlorn lust.
    Ok, maybe 14yr old girls but the "Twilight Moms" only care about the sex appeal not the dynamic. The quotes I read are about how hot Taylor or Robert are not who will Bella end up with.
    Vampire fans like myself would rather read/see about Carlisle and the Volturi. That is where the meat of this universe lies. Granted what has made it to screen has made $$$ so its tough to not call it the meat as far as the bottom line is concerned. However, extending the longevity of this franchise would be served by fleshing out Carlisle and Volturi tales.