NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Use of Time, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interestingly enough, reports are that this is more or less what Tom Brady is saying as well. :p

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, that's the problem ... dude's missed like 20 games the last two years, hasn't he?

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

To be fair, Welker suffered what would have been a season-ending injury, too, when he shredded his knee a couple of years ago. He just had the good fortune (if you can call it that) to suffer it during the last game of the season, so he ended up not missing any time.

4. Timby

Yeah, but Amendola has two consecutive years of pretty severe injury issues. That's a huge warning sign.

5. Skywalker

Of course it is, but it's not like we're talking about Bob Sanders, here. He's missed 23 games since 2009 compared to Welker's 3, but he's also five years younger than Welker and has never had a devastating knee injury. Welker clearly has a better record when it comes to durability, but Amendola's injuries (the ones I'm aware of) have all seemed like pretty freak things, like the clavicle that almost pierced his aorta.

I don't think Amendola's going to come into Foxboro and put up the same numbers Welker did, but I don't think this is some awful signing, either.

EDIT: Oh, and check this out: evidently Amendola signed with the Patriots before Welker did with the Broncos. So apparently this wasn't just some reaction signing by New England; considering the deal they offered him and the one they offered Welker, it looks like they wanted Amendola more, for some reason.

6. Timby

As I said, this entire situation basically confirms the rumors that Welker and Belichick weren't getting along anymore.

7. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm 5'9", undersized, white, and in my early 30s, and have spent time in Gillette, maybe I should try out.

8. Skywalker

It certainly looks that way.

Oh well. I'm not expecting Amendola to do what Welker did, but to be honest, I never expected Welker to do what he did when he came over from Miami.

In other Patriots-related news, they're currently hosting both John Abraham and Adrian Wilson. I think Wilson would especially be a good pick-up for them, he and McCourty would make a pretty good safety tandem.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

A broken collarbone and a weird elbow injury.

The knees are good.

10. 1001001

I forgot to add:

I know the NFL is a business, and loyalty to a team or a player is not very important anymore. Still there are some things you just wish were different, not from a business standpoint, but an emotional one.

My sincere gratitude and best wishes to Steven Jackson, who signed with the Falcons yesterday.

Jackson is one of my all-time favorite Rams, and as fan I'm very sad to see him go. He has been a consummate professional. He plays hard every down, and put together an pretty incredible streak of 8 1,000+ yard seasons in a row, on teams that were mostly awful. That includes a 1400 yard season on 1-15 team.

Fisher is definitely putting his stamp on the team, and youth is the key, for better or worse. The Rams are the youngest team in the NFL, and so far have done almost nothing in free agency. First Amendola, now Jackson. Jeff, I hope you know what you're doing!!!

Anyway, Jackson is a class act, and I will miss him. Thanks for all the great effort, Steven.

[​IMG]

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Which is funny when you consider how die-hard some fans of certain teams are. That team doesn't care about you or it's players and coaches, just like it's players and coaches don't care about that team.

College football is the only sport left where fans should maintain lifelong allegiances; all other sports are mercenary. I bought two Peyton Manning jerseys (a home and away) when he was with the Colts, and I have a Mike Alstott Tampa jersey, but I'll never buy another NFL endorsed product again. From now on, I'll go to the games and cheer for the teams/players I feel like on any given Sunday.

12. 1001001

That's funny you say that.

I've seen those Steven Jackson jersey ads on TV, and I thought I'd really like one, but I'll wait to see if he re-signs with the Rams first.

Glad I saved my money.

:lol:

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

This is why I prefer jerseys of retired players. You know all the teams they'll ever play for and you won't run the risk of later having memories of that player crushing your team while playing for someone else.

14. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Et tu, Woodhead?

15. tighr

Didn't work out so good for Favre fans, eh?

[​IMG]

16. tighr

Breaking, Denver poops the bed on resigning Elvis Dumveril. Despite getting him to agree to restructure his contract, they failed to get the paperwork to the NFL by the 4pm ET deadline (literally by minutes, apparently) and have decided to cut him instead.

17. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  18. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^I am so pissed about the Dumervil situation. How the hell do you take 40 minutes to fax a contract in?! I hope Elvis and the Broncos are able to get a new contract negotiated, otherwise this will be a serious fuckup if he ends up walking. I haven't seen any details on this part of it yet, but having to cut Elvis may result in some serious salary cap implications as well.

EDIT- Per USA Today, having to release Dumervil has resulted in a $5M hit against the salary cap this year, leaving them with only $8M. The deal they agreed to is now financially impossible unless cap space is cleared.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  19. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of in the same boat with regards to Greg Jennings- A Packer fan surrounded by Vikings fans gloating about their acquisition.

God, I wish Jennings would have signed with any team other than the Vikings. I was resigned to the fact he was done in Green Bay, but why did he have to go to Minnesota, of all teams? Then again, he may not be much of a deep threat with Ponder throwing to him.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, you can't just buy it the next day. For example, I have a Randall Cunningham jersey for the Eagles. I doubt he's going to start playing for the Cowboys or Giants any time soon, so I'll be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.