Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Yeah, it's shot (and broadcast on BBC1 HD/BBC HD) at 25p. But the Blu-Rays (*not* R2 DVDs, which are 576/50i) are converted to 24p because they only make one BR master for worldwide sales.

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

The only DW BD's I own are the UK "Complete Specials" box - and they are not encoded at 24fps. I've just analysed "Planet of the Dead" on my PC to confirm. It's encoded at 29.97 which of course makes it compatible with 60hz NTSC region displays.

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm very much looking forward to this episode as well. Something about that shot makes the cube look particularly like a model, it may be the lighting. I'm sure some tweaks will be made between the trailer and the final episode, as we saw in S1 as well.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm really looking forward to that episode too. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing this shot in HD.

[​IMG]

5. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Yes, I've been thinking about that shot myself.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I'm really looking forward to the Visual effects of Q Who, I really wish Contagion was at least considered as the second episode for the Screening (If either Measure of a Man or Q Who were going to be the first). I know it's not a "classic" by any means, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the Enterprise blow up (Ok, it's not the Enterprise, but it's a variation of it) and if they cleaned up the images on the Iconian gateway. That, and it's probably in my top 5 favorite episodes of the season, but there are quite a number of good FX shots in that episode that are underrated.

7. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the scifi magazines showed the model they came up with for that piece of hull, boy it was pretty weak, so I hope it doesn't show up well on screen.

8. groundhog

groundhog Lieutenant Red Shirt

Really cool news about Enterprise coming to Blu-ray next year, but hopefully it's not just quickly slapped together, but remastered and all that good stuff.

9. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Enterprise doesn't require remastering like TNG. It was posted on 1080p/24 D5 tape for all four years... so they're just going to AVC encode those for Blu-ray. The bigger news is that Robert Meyer Burnett seems to be implying that CBS is on the verge of officially announcing two more (series?) that will be coming to Blu-ray:

10. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

If Mike Sussman is sitting down for new interviews when the original DVDs had quite a few featurettes already, I doubt CBS is taking the easy road on this, fortunately. If they're talking to a writing staff member like Sussman, presumably they're interviewing many more key personnel too.

Would CBS put up the cash for a substantial documentary series about the less lucrative Enterprise, as they are for TNG? They seem so high on Trek at the moment that I wouldn't be at all surprised.

I was trying to decrypt those tweets earlier today, and I wasn't optimistic enough to even consider that meaning - I'm glad of your interpretation! I figured he was referring to two of the unannounced season 2 extras, but this is much more intriguing.

If TNG hostage crisis refers to Burnett's time creating the documentaries, it certainly makes sense. I can't imagine he and Roger Lay would have time to handle the extras for two other Trek series though in addition to Enterprise. But the fact that "both the animated series and Enterprise" (to speculatively complete his sentence) are ready for HD certainly tracks.

If true, CBS are certainly keen to pump out more Trek on Blu ASAP. The TNG season 1 sales figures must have really impressed them.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What exactly does 'TNG Hostage Crisis' mean? :confused:

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Both the animated series? What's the other one then? :p

I'm pretty sure the TNG Hostage Crisis refers to the onslaught of work required to produce the series and/or documentaries he oversees, as in they're being held hostage until all 7 series are done.

As for "both" I'm pretty sure he's implying both DS9 and Voyager are going to get the HD treatment at some point.

EDIT: Yeah, ignore me. I fail English when I wake up.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  13. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

He's definitely not talking about Enterprise, because he wrote that Enterprise is old news.

14. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

15. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

"They're carving us up like a roast."

16. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

It's a classic to *me*. :)

17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I am interpreting Robert Meyer Burnett's cryptic tweets correctly, there are two unannounced items (both teasers?) that are going to pop up on the TNG S2 and/or S3 blu-ray releases. I am thinking that at least one of these will be the teaser trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness. Perhaps the other will be for ENT on blu-ray?

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Dont think so, Burnett hates ST2009

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Who knows? You might get your wish. I thought the two choices they picked for season one showing was pretty random. I thought Datalore was a fine choice, but I personally would have picked 11001001 over Where No One Has Gone Before.

20. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I think he's talking about two things that will significantly prolong his already 10-month "hostage crisis" as he puts it. He wouldn't be involved in editing a trailer for the new film (that's Paramount, not CBS), so that's unlikely (though it will probably be on the S3 set I bet -- just as ST09 had a trailer on TOS S1).

The teaser for Enterprise is more plausible... but I seriously think he's referring to two things that will keep him in that edit bay for years and years to come. :lol: