DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Man, maybe it will finally be time to stop getting Green Lantern! I really loved both titles from Rebirth to Blackest Night. But the franchise totally peaked at that point. While the Hal/Sinestro pairing was cool, "War of the Green Lanterns" and "Rise of the Third Army" were not one fourth as cool as the previous stories.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Killing off a character who has been around for five years is a twist. It doesn't matter that Morrison played with the idea initially.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Matt Kindt was apparently offered one of these books. I think the next Lantern writer is probably going to be someone like Fialkov, the wave of Nu52 writers.

5. Admiral_Young

I expected big news to come out of the retreat...but this huge. I have stated many times that I've thought that Johns should have left after Blackest Night, I felt like that was the peak of his run and he himself gave interviews that story was basically the third part of a "trilogy". I've honestly not been following "Green Lantern" since issue one of the New 52 relaunch, but I have credited him for getting me into the series and I'll be checking out his last issue.

I guess Johns is just going to be continuing with Justice League? I'm assuming Batman: Earth One Volume 2 as well?

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Jim Starlin on Stormwatch and I am suddenly very interested. They are also bringing back the Weird which was a pretty cool mini back in the day.

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Huh. Batman #17 is my only pull from DC tomorrow, and from Marvel all I have is Uncanny X-men. I can't remember that last time I had a day this light. Of course, next week I make up for it with twelve pulls, the biggest single week I've ever had.

8. Hound of UIster

Star Wars, Demon Knights and Batman for me.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Avoid any news links mentioning Batman or the Joker. The end of "Death of the Family" has leaked.

10. Admiral_Young

Batman #17, and Django Unchained #2 for me tomorrow.

11. Admiral_Young

Batman #17 was incredible. It took a turn that I wasn't expecting...and I felt was an emotional story. Greg Capullo's art is sensational in this book, he really brings it in this issue...and at the end of the issue the Bat Family is left scarred. I guess we now know why Harper is going to be brought in starting next arc. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Snyder does with Riddler...his take on Joker was awesome.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I found the big finale pretty disappointing. After all this hype about this being the definitive Joker story, I was expecting something to actually HAPPEN. I think the only thing that actually occurred was the Bat Family is now distrustful of Bruce, but that happens ALL the time.

I never thought they would actually kill Alfred, but I was expecting some permenant damage to him. I thought he'd be blinded, because in one issue Joker says he's pouring acid in his eyes. Or that he'd be crippled and in a wheelchair. Or at least a cane. I thought the mystery dinner dish was going to be Alfred's eyeballs.

And I never thought for a second that he ripped the faces off ALL of the Bat Family, not for one second.

So if I understand the final scene properly, Joker *DOES* know that Batman is Bruce Wayne, but he'll never ever reveal it to anyone or use it? I find that a little convenient. Wouldn't he think it'd be hilarious to reveal his identity to the world and make him a fugitive?

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No, because that would ruin The Joker's fun. Which in part is having this "over" Bruce that he could reveal it at any moment.

The book was very good, I agree. I sort-of thought maybe the faces would be removed but at the end :technobabble: and the faces would be back on with no problem. (A flip-through of Batgirl showed her with her face, but bandaged slightly.)

But I thought the book was a very good ending to the arc, the story and the art in Batman has pretty much consistently been fantastic.

14. Hound of UIster

Yes Joker is a jester in that he wants to make Batman laugh in the language that Joker uses, which is mayhem and terror.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So if he wanted to torture and kill the Bat Family, why didn't he reveal THEIR secret identities to the world?

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Why would he want to? It's between him and Bats, not the world.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Exactly. And what would Joker gain by revealing anyone's identities?

18. Admiral_Young

Also, I think it's pretty clear that Joker didn't want to kill the Bat family...this latest scheme was a "love letter" to Batman regarding their relationship, as Snyder himself put it a few months back. A message. He is always attempting to find new ways of unhinging Bruce...this was just the latest. Bruce also turned his game right back at him with the threat of revealing Joker's identity to him as well. It's all psychological ploys with Joker, that yes on occasion sometimes get taken over the edge, but I don't think that was the intended case this time.

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I thought the ending was a little bit of a letdown. I really enjoyed the arc, and loved the take on the Joker, but felt it was all too neatly wrapped up. Something more significant should have happened but all we got was that, maybe, the Bat family doesn't trust Bruce as much. That's not new. While that might have long term effects, it's not really shown in the book.

Don't get me wrong, there were parts of it that I liked. It was an emotional issue at times but I think there ended up being one too many cop outs.

In regards to Joker knowing secret identities, I took it that he doesn't know who any of them really are and doesn't much care. He pieced some things together to fuck with them but more than that he can't be bothered.

20. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a few theories for the identity of Earth 2's new Batman:

1) It's Terry Sloan with some new scheme up his sleeve.

2) The suit is actually heavily padded and this is where they finally decided to stick Stephanie Brown.

3) In this world where Bruce and Selina did really get together, and there now is no Batman, who else would pick up the mantle but the kid from 3rd Rock From the Sun? John Blake is the new Batman.

If any of these end up happening I have officially called it here.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013