8X02 "Into the Dalek" Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Aug 30, 2014.

?

Grade "Into the Dalek"

Poll closed Sep 29, 2014.
  1. Eyebrows

34 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Good

57 vote(s)
    47.9%
  3. Average

19 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Bad

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Exterminate!

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Hum... Are we being bluffed and we have just seen the next companion ?

3. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was wondering if we had just seen the next companion?
    Anyone else notice one second they were coved in slime the next second they were clean?

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Yes and it was handily explained by the contamination cleaning tubes which were hot!

I rather liked that episode and 12 is growing on me.

5. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

So very average. Once again I was missing bits of dialogue. I really should have the subtitles on. So Clara's inside a dalek... again, and this time she's brought the Doctor and friends...

As for the story, the emotional beats and the narrative intent... Episode 1x06 Dalek did it all, so much better. So much so that this episode was recycling dialogue...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bDGH3dKo90[/yt]

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well that was rather good. Properly hard Daleks a formidable enemy for the first time in a long time. might be the best Dalek episode since Dalek. I like Danny Pink and love that the Dalek didn't end up good, he just ended up hating Daleks instead of hating everything.

The soldiers vs Daleks felt v like classic Who.

7. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Oh I was watching it on the laptop and it had to buffer at one point so I now know what I missed.

8. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I might rank this up there with 9's Dalek episode.

9. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

I agree.

But I do have some question marks about the inside of the Dalek shell. Maybe I just didn't get it but, in the previous episodes we only saw the organic part with the eye and I assumed that it was also his brain.
    In this episode we saw them walking through his body/brain and most of it didn't looked organic, so parts of his body/brain are connected to technology? It's somehow interconnected?

10. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rather liked it. While it DID feel like it was ripping Nine's Dalek story, I thought Capaldi still managed not to convey a multi-faceted performance of a guy who's worried that his hatred for the Daleks has overcome him and who doesn't even flinch when that Dalek calls him a "good Dalek" - contrasting Nine's quiet dissapointment - because he knows he's partly right.

Anyway, I loved the pace and the directing of the episode, visually arresting - difficult to do for a minimal, budget-wise, episode, or so I thought. The Pink character is, well, a bit weak, I thought - and the moment when he cries in the classroom was, well, awkward. Not sure what to think, but so far, not exactly impressed.

Overall, 8/10. Capaldi and Coleman sell once again, and I liked the idea of a potentially "good" Dalek. However, Pink's iffy.

11. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another enjoyable episode, finding Clara a bit annoying this season.

Is heaven being populated by people that have sacrificed themselves then, not those the Doctor has killed?

I hate the voice over guy on Doctor Who Extra.

12. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

Got to agree and hope they do a bit more with him before they let him in the tardis for the culmination of the "no solider" thing with the doctor. Having said that it felt a bit forced for him to be in the episode making it feel a bit like padding. So at the same time I hope they don't force him in again just to build him up before the culmination in the whole "no solider" thing with the doctor.,

13. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Regarding the Daleks's synthesis of mutant and shell, the placement of it in the shell and the look of the mutant has changed several times in both series, sometimes due to using other genetic stock like humans (Parting of the Ways) or a larger mutant with the robot parts grafted into it (Rememberance of the Daleks). Dalek mutants have also on ocassion been given claws, as seen In The Daleks and again in Rememberance of the Daleks.

As far as how much the Dalek 'knows' from the machine, I think the Daleks are kind of 'conditioned' by the computers in their shells. (At least by the time of the Tom Baker era, which sort of retconned Daleks into being more like created robots than survivors of an apocalyptic war).

14. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the only good Dalek story Moffat has ever done (not including TDOTD), in fact I bloody loved it. The series seems to be becoming more mature and darker, something which I jolly well love. This is certainly on par with many of the classic who episodes, probably on par with most of the RTD episodes and maybe even ahead of some of them. The premise of the episodes was a bit strange but it was executed perfectly. Plus I really liked Danny Pink, he was funny! Much better than that twat Rory.

So yes, if the rest of the Capaldi era is like this, I'm certainly very happy! He plays the Doctor so well.

15. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My god yeah, I know how you feel. I saw the one for Deep Breath and I couldn't focus because of that stupid voice. It's just awful.

16. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

It felt a bit weird to me. I don't mind darkness and what not and the scene with the tablet and the anti-bodies was brilliant, really giving a sense of a much darker far more practical minded Doctor who doesn't care much for humans anymore. But then the sitting down and talking about it really felt forced and plodding, especially in comparison.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm loving Capaldi's take on the Doctor, but this episode was awful. It was a clunky, cliche-ridden mess.

18. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want to give it eyebrows but voted good simply because it didn't have certain narrative beats or highs that should be remembered later. It was very well done and although the soldiers v Daleks did feel old Who as someone said above it all had quite a cinematic feel and quality to it.

Pink was way better than I thought he was going to be. His insert into the story is actually going to be somewhat thematic. Will he serve as a device for Clara's departure? Offering a happy ending or is 'he's a bit of a lady killer' a foreboding sign? I also think he's going to serve to allow for the Doctor to view soldiers differently and so go back for Gun Girl later because I too think she's a possible future companion.

Clara was good too. Firstly with Pink and later with the Doctor challenging him too to change his mind about the Dalek being good. It's always interesting when the companion - or carer (she's my carer - she cares so I don't have to! LOL) - challenges the Doctor some. This interaction was way better than some of the more awkward feel to the early entry into the TARDIS. However, we definitely have a new dynamic here between the Doctor and Clara.

Also, the soldiers spoke of Dalek duplicates - is this something like the nano virus from the Asylum? People converted in part to be Daleks? Is this going to play into future storylines?

And yes, this was a much more interesting Dalek story than any that have come about in a long long time. Yes, since 9's Dalek, though it still beats this hands down.

E.T.A.
    I also meant to note, when they get dumped into the Dalek feeding tube, the Doctor says something along the lines of: mortuaries and larders, no one guards the dead. Is this a hint to Missy and her actions, the fact no one is guarding the dead who run into the Doctor?

There were also some funny lines from Capaldi's Doctor and even his demeanor. Enjoying the ride down the chute, calling Clara old, bolt hole a hole for a bolt. There were also some more darkly overtones to the Doctor too. Did he enjoy the idea of getting killed by the Dalek as proving he was right as Clara siad. Likewise, the first soldier led to believe the Doctor was coming up with a solution to save him but instead he was working on a solution to save those who would survive his getting vacuumed up by the Dalek antibodies. And turning away Gun Girl, leaving her behind. It all lent a very dark or cold calculating sense to the Doctor yet not evil just very pragmatic.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

A nice mixture of The Invisible Enemy and "Dalek," although it's short a few emotional beats of the latter. Interesting turn on "Rusty" hating Daleks as well as pointing out The Doctor's own hate, and I have a feeling we'll see him again.

I don't really have an opinion on the character of Danny Pink one way or the other, but I didn't like how his scenes were inserted in the episode, and I'm getting really tired of the companion leaving the TARDIS at the end of the episode and getting picked up in the next one. Makes the whole thing feel more grounded down to contemporary Earth even if the main adventure is another time and space. Very frustrating.

First we got "Handles," now we have "Rusty." Is every monster going to get a kid-friendly nickname? Frosty the Ice Warrior? Furry the Yeti? Squiggles the Ood?

Interesting bit with Missy. I guess we'll get one scene every episode where someone dies and shows up in "heaven" (which isn't too hard considering someone almost always dies), but if that's the case, it's going to get awfully repetitive, just like Madame Kovarian's "open window" cameos.

I know I sound rather cynical, and maybe it's because I'm rather tired, but I did enjoy this episode, especially Peter Capaldi. I just find myself wanting...more from the scripts.

20. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well then... Capaldi's Doctor is in hot contention for being MY Doctor. But damned if he isn't a bit like cuddling with a hand grenade. "Into darkness" is more what we plumbed of the Doctor than we did Rusty. We know what a Dalek is. Hatred and murder in a handy portable package. Self-propelled, even. But the Doctor? Oh, he's funny! And he's witty! And he just sacrificed that clueless bloke. And a Dalek sees his hatred as more "divine" than its own fuck-a-doodle-doo programming.

I've never had an episode rattle me the way this one did. The Daleks are scary again. But so is the Doctor. And I don't know who frightens me more.

[Any perceived channeling of Guy Gardner was purely unintentional]