Why are their inaccurate models on the set?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gotham Central, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, no, that won't work. If the starship were backing up all the time at warp that beeping noise would be driving everyone crazy.

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Scotty would have disconnected the alarm out of annoyance.

3. Mike Okuda

Mike Okuda Commander Red Shirt

Most of the inaccurate models were the result of quick-n-dirty kit builds being accidentally dropped when moved onto the set. Set dressers are always under the gun to move very quickly, and it's not uncommon for props to get damaged, especially something as fragile as a plastic model kit. In the case of the silver AMT TMP Enterprise, the kit was repaired multiple times by someone who apparently didn't know the proper configuration of the ship and just needed to get it onto the set in time. Both Rick Sternbach and I offered to help, but we were told that he was in such a rush that he never had time to run up to the art department to ask, and there just never seemed to be an opportunity where the model was available for us to repair.

4. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow. There you have it from the "horses mouth".

I don't know if you check back on your posts Mike, but I want to thank you for the love and care you have brought to the remaster project.

And if I may be cheeky - Any plans for DS9? :)

5. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Every time I see that one of the real Trek people make an appearance on the site it amazes me; real people appearing here and interacting with the fans when sometimes we can be a bit of an obsessive/crazy group of lunatics. It is appreciated. :techman:

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Remember that a lot of people that worked on TNG - ENT were themselves members of the fanbase in the 1960s to 1980s before getting a job to work on Star Trek.

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're not real people? :borg:

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not. I'm a Holodeck fantasy.

9. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As far as I know, I've never read your name in the credits of any Star Trek production. You are merely one of us, he is The Michael Okuda.

10. Forbin

Hallowed be his Okudagrams!
    :)

11. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

Were they sideways in the UP lab or D style nacelles - I thought in Galaxy's Child they had D style on a Connie model which I though they were testing the design on an older ship.

Oh it might be also be because it was a TV show and a prop building intern might not know a warp core from a dunsel...just saying T

12. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I actually asked Mike Okuda this question the other day on FB. I happened to be watching TNG Season One ep The Neutral Zone.

The answer direct from Mike is because it kept breaking, and the nacelles were re-glued on backwards by accident and nobody thought it would seen or obvious.

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Extending the stripe would remove the craft's name; might have just made it look better as a generic shuttle from NCC-1701.

15. Mike Okuda

Not quite sure what happened with the TOS shuttlecraft model. When we found it, it was in pretty bad shape. John Dwyer (first season set decorator) offered to have it refurbished so he could use it as set dressing. He assured me that the folks doing the refurbish knew what the ship was supposed to look like. A week or so later, we got it back and it looked like what you saw. None of us were happy, but there never was time to send it back. In episodic television production (even more so than in movies), everyone is always under the gun, and everyone is scrambling to do the best they can with the limits of time and money.

16. Mike Okuda

Thanks all for the kind words uptopic. Apologies that I don't pop by here very often. I think you know that I share your love of Star Trek.

17. Forbin

And we're delighted you can spare us a moment now and then! Thank you, sir. :)

18. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You guys rock. Thanks so much for guiding the excellent TNG-HD releases. If only Star Wars had its own Michael Okuda. ;)