Results of the "best/fav science fiction television series"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 31, 2010.

1. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

1. Star Trek (Original) - 439.85
    2. Star Trek Deep Space 9 - 413.87
    3. Doctor Who - 355.35
    4. Star Trek - The Next Generation - 351.8
    5. Babylon 5 - 349.41
    6. Battlestar Galactica (new) - 314.1
    7. Firefly - 271.82
    8. Farscape - 257.85
    9. The Twilight Zone (original) - 244.85
    10. Buffy The Vampire Slayer - 215.29
    11. Lost - 211.4
    12. The X-Files - 195.5
    13. Angel - 100.75
    14. Futurama - 96.5
    15. Red Dwarf - 90.85
    16. Stargate SG-1 - 88.82
    17. Blake's 7 - 68.5
    18. Star Trek Voyager - 64.5
    19. Life on Mars - 53.5
    20. Supernatural - 51.5

I used two methods to calculate the results, first, 60 points for person, and second 10 to 1. And added the results of each together.

Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions on the matter. If anyone wants to know how a show that didn't make the top 20, just say so.

2. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Not a bad list, I haven't seen all of them, but from what I can tell, the shows deserve to be up there. I can't really think of any that are missing. I do think Firefly is way too high. It had like 11 episodes and while they are good, can we really say that it was good as a series? It didn't have the chance to really go anywhere. Episodes 12-100 could have sucked. I fondly remember it and I would probably put it on a list of top 20, but I don't think I could put it above The Twilight Zone, Buffy and The X-Files.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a bad list. I'm not surprised to see Firefly up there, even though I never really got into it.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a more respectable list than most of the ones I see kicked around. At least there are no glaring omissions.

5. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty respectable list. Two things really surprised me.....
    1. That the Original (Star Trek) Series rated so highly despite how many "challenging" episodes one had to endure
    2. That on this particular board that Angel rated lower than Buffy......I would have lost a bet there.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty decent list as everyone says. Have seen every single show on that list except for "Blake's 7".

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I think that much of this stems from an appreciation that "Star Trek" was the trailblazer for so much of televised sci-fi. People are willing to forgive much of its idiosyncratic deficiencies, in exchange for recognizing that it established televised science fiction as an intelligent medium worthy of respect

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about Manimal? :shifty:

9. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I think most of that has to to with the fact that this is a Star Trek board. No list was going to not have TOS on there, so that probably skews the data a bit.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

How Life on Mars is there but Ashes to Ashes isn't...For just the final season of the sequel it should be there it breathtaking TV.

11. Neroon

My take is that this being TrekBBS had more influence on 3 Trek series being in the top 4, than on "Star Trek" itself being #1. You are more likely to see the latter highly ranked on other venues, than you are to find DS9 sitting at #2 anywhere but a place like TrekBBS

12. label

Yeah, I understand how nostalgia can play into someone's rating of TOS and it's really hard not to appreciate Kirk/Spock/McCoy and all the groundwork that the show established so that many other shows like Bab5 and subsequent Trek incarnations can thrive. Still, when I go back and actually watch those TOS episodes now and attempt to objectively evaluate the quality of the show, I have a hard time - personally - making a case that that series is "better" than anything in my top 10.

Of course, if this is more of a "favorite" series and less of a "best" of series poll, then obviously the relative artistic merits of the show itself has little to do with it's place on this list and as you say, it is a Trek board....... ;)

13. Neroon

Not exactly. I'm not trying to say it was a case of nostalgia, but rather them - okay, us saying - that the fact that the show had more to undertake and with fewer technological resources at hand makes their achievement all the more impressive. It's taking into consideration the context of the times in which the series was created.

14. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why?

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Fringe is a better show than many on that list. Including a couple in the top 10.

16. label

It's been my impression that more people on these boards have enjoyed Angel more than they've enjoyed Buffy over the years. I'm not saying you (or anyone) can't make a case for either show to be better - I personally enjoyed Angel more myself - just that I thought the consensus around here was Angel was the better show.

Of course, I thought the consensus around here was the DS9 was the best of the Trek's and TOS won in this poll so that goes to show you what I know. ;)

17. label

Depends on how the show ends for me. Right now it's certainly making a very good case for being in the top 10......we'll have to see how the show finishes for me to say that right now because the last two seasons have been so serial. It'd like Lost....it's hard to judge until you know how the overall story is going to wrap up.

18. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Where did Enterprise end up? And how many shows were there, all in all?

19. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen that consensus in any of the threads, and I don't know why this board would be special in that regard since my impression is that most people think that Buffy is better.

I think there was a poll on the subject a while ago, someone should dig it up.

However, one major anomaly that's impossible not to notice in every Buffy thread is that 90% of posters are male... in fact, I think pretty much everyone but me. :wtf: That's a major WTF moment, in my experience at least about 60%-70% of Buffy/Angel fandom is female. But then, I guess being on a Trek board tends to skew things...

20. label

Dug up:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=62982&highlight=Buffy+Angel

According to that poll, Angel won 44 to 36 votes. Course, that was a couple years ago and who knows what an influx of new people might bring. Obviously according to this poll and the way the votes were measured, Buffy came out on top. I'm curious to see if we had a Buffy or Angel vote now, which one would win head to head. (Probably Firefly. ;) )