A Star trek CGI series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Admiral Pike, Jun 4, 2009.

?

CGI Star Trek

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Yes, please. I'd love another TAS, either cell-drawn, or CGI.

But only if its intelligent, and not too kiddified.

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Night of the Living Dead remade in CGI as a 3-D CGI movie.

SOURCE1
    SOURCE2
    Will this possible to use for a weekly Trek CGI TV series? [not cinema style 3D]

Also

Imagine a CGI show having the ability to use slow motion anytime to tell a story or for a flashback.
    Move the camera to a different angle and use slow-motion.
    For an explosion in live-action Trek that would be all but impossible. Even on a feature film if they run 6 cameras during an explosion that is it.
    With CGI they can even add a camera move at any angle during a flashback to this event.

or how about a fightscene? A fistfight between a senior Trek ship officer and someone else.

Here is an example of great CG that I could see used for Trek.
    Killzone 2 for PlayStation 3, 11 minutes video
    [*simulated animated violence/videogame violence!]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CgMg4t-DqA
    I wonder how much it cost to make this?

The first half of this video has On-planet character action, space battles, closeup fighting and explosions.
    The second half looks like in-game first-person playing

A Star Trek CG series can be done like this.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  3. jefferiestubes8

motion capture

Zoe Saldana the new Uhura is in this clip

see the video here: Length: 9:22

http://www.hulu.com/watch/110975/making-a-scene-avatar

http://io9.com/5414984/10-minutes-of-new-footage-compares-actor-to-avatar

Perhaps in a couple years it would be feasible to do all motion capture and CGI in HD for a series?
    Could it be possible to use motion capture data and then render it out much faster in HD rather than 'Mr.-Perfection'-James-Cameron-style-of-rendering-for-3-D for a Trek CGI animated series?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  4. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Many effects look dated. I mean I see many Star Wars fans DEMANDING the pre 1997 original triliogy on DVD, but that's gonna look REALLY horrible in DVD format. Plus the original SW effects, before 1997, looked horrible to me.

And CGI can be great in many ways. Take Dr. Who for example...the BBC trashed alot of the episodes in the 1970's, and some are totally gone. With CGI, we can make the episodes come back, since the audio tracks are intact for all the episodes, and I'm sure that getting the general idea how it looked can be done from still shots, photos, and storyboards. Also, CGI can be used to make more 'classic' Dr. Who stories, using the actors that are still alive.

Here's 2 great examples CGI can be used for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv_fqOfOHLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8uYYtH_YAY
    With a lil more refining, and some improved touches, I could see awesome stories in each example.

Plus the idea of seeing THOUSANDS of Daleks is fun.

So, I can see Trek doing the same. I like how Aurora looks there, and would easily watch something like that. :bolian:

5. TheQman

TheQman Captain Captain

I would be all for this. It would take out some of the personality quirks that people eventually get sick of. Also, the characters never have to age and you can do things otherwise not possible with humans.

6. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

As I've already said here and here, I've wanted to see a Trek CGI show myself (even a 2D cel show would be okay). But as I said before, I want this show to have no cartoony funny styles like The Incredibles, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meat Balls, Monster House, etc.-if it does, I'm not watching. Have said show look like the Resident Evil CGI DVD, or Star Trek Aurora, or Star Wars: The Old Republic, Resident Evil: Degeneration,Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and it will be amazing.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Have you ever seen Reboot, Battle Planets, Transformers: Beast Wars, Weird-O's, Iron Man: Animated Adventures? Those are all amazing as well (Captain Scarlet is too).

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love a full-out CGI remake of ST:TAS.

I mean, let's face it, TAS was very much a product of its time. While the storylines were often very entertaining, the animation sucked big time. It's kept TAS from being recognized as real Trek, I think.

A CGI remake of TAS would have the added advantage of not having to hire any actors or anything, because the existing voice tracks could still be used.

How's Ptrope's ST:Reanimated going, by the way? ;)

9. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    I don't think the animated series performances or stroies hold up so well for kids today. If we see a CG series I would want it to be voiced by JJ's cast doing the characters from the new film. Or perhaps a depiction of Klingons and Federation characters from Star Trek Online.

10. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Which quirks? :D

11. Nevyn

Nevyn Lieutenant Red Shirt

I see no reason why it shouldn't work. They have a Star Wars the Clone Wars CGI series, Transformers Beast Wars, Shadow Raiders, Wall-E, and it's all pretty good. The same could work for Star Trek. And maybe this way we can see more non-hunanoid aliens. But it would have to have really good stories to make up for the loss of real actors. If done properly, it could certainly work.

12. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm unconvinced. I'm not opposed to CGI - indeed I think that for some things, like space action scenes, it's been the best option since the mid-90s, but in a TV show like this I think I still need to see real actors.

13. jefferiestubes8

Pemmer Harge do you feel TAS worked to tell Trek stories (even in the 30 minute format?)

As many have said it's about the story & script and characters.
    I feel it worked as we all knew the TOS characters and having them voiced by almost all the original actors helped immensely IMHO.

The thing with The Clone Wars on the Cartoon Network is it is not entirely made for children but it mostly is.
    It is rated TV-Y7
    according to IMDB.com

If CBS Television were to make a Trek CGI animated show TV-PG
    (Parental Guidance Suggested -- This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children.)
    then it would obviously have stronger content as far as complex stories and such.

I've said in the past I would prefer if it were created with the intention of getting a TV-14 rating as some VOY and ENT episodes received.

14. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    If they did re-animate TAS in CGI they should really do just a best of set of episodes and release it on DVD/Blu-Ray.

15. jefferiestubes8

If they were to do this and only re-use the original dialogue track I would like the music redone by using the written music scores and rearrange for a TOS style of orchestral scoring to be able to mix it in 5.1 or at least spread over Left-Center-Right front. Perhaps no music reused in an episode?
    Also new and more detailed sound effects including foley of footsteps should be added to bring the sound effects up to modern standards.

16. jefferiestubes8

If you were wondering if Star Trek Online the new videogame would have any crossover from the new film well

http://trekmovie.com/2009/12/13/zachary-quinto-to-be-voice-of-star-trek-online/

This is good news as it would be possible to also have these new actors voice a few smaller roles of their characters whenever they would be shown in a potential CGI Trek series.

17. jefferiestubes8

trailer 'looks like' Trek

Let's just say Star Ocean is heavily-influenced by Trek.

a commenter writes:

Dec 21st 2009
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope International trailer video at
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/21/star-ocean-the-last-hope-international-trailer-boldly-goes-into/

Not that this is what a Trek CGI series would look like but the framing of shots and camera movement, and ship exterior type shots probably yes.

18. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I second this.

19. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

How about a CGI series for the kids (6-13) about RED SQUAD, the elite Starfleet Academy cadets? In DS9 it was said they circumnavigate the Federation which is bound to mean lots of interesting stuff going on!

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: trailer 'looks like' Trek

Looks nice I may have to get that.