Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You have my apologies then.

2. Trekker4747

So, who's still watching this train-wreck? This recent episode actually wasn't too bad. Seemed like things happened.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Having a sexy antagonist show up will do that.... still too damned slow-moving without any superior acting to warrant the snail's pace for my tastes though.

4. Trekker4747

Julia offers me enough sexiness. Anyway, still it seemed like some things happened in this episode and we FINALLY gained some ground on the goings on instead of having some silly small-town-crisis-of-the-week. Still it's a dumb, corny, slow-moving show but this episode DID offer "something."

5. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know, I was hoping since the entire cast is contained in a dome, a mystery character wouldn't pop out of nowhere, but here we are. As for the 'arrangements' she made to make sure they're exposed... I'd just assume that's a bluff and call it.

Angie starting to entertain Junior is a bit of a groaner as well.

OMG is Benny Drake the fourth handprint?!!??! Where is he!? Did he get grounded?

6. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Barbie had just killed her when she tried to blackmail him, I wouldn't have thought any less of him. She is very clearly going to be nothing but trouble, and they have more important things to worry about.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No phone, no internet. She would have to leave any insurance policy with a human being inside the dome who she probably brought with her who is still in the house she was hiding in.

8. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

It's strange: both Natalie Zea and Dean Norris are excellent actors, but it feels like they're bringing only about 10% of the acting chops they've demonstrated on their other shows (Justified, Breaking Bad) to Under the Dome.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The first episode aired in the UK on Monday - was kind of OK, but didn't really grab me. Not even any really noteworthy acting to keep my attention.

I imagine they'll have to change the origins of the dome, and skip the airtight aspect of it from the book, to keep it going over a couple of seasons.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

...no motor cars!
    Not a single luxury!

11. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thread's too long to read, so apologies if this has been posted.

I found a library sale copy of a Groff Conklin anthology, The Golden Age of Science Fiction. (This was a revised edition of The Best of Science Fiction, which was published in 1946.)

In it is a story by Arthur Leo Zagat, copyright 1936, originally published in Thrilling Wonder Stories. (A Gernsback magazine I believe.)

The title was The Lanson Screen. The title character invents a force shield that completely in effect puts everything within the shield into another universe. The shield is completely impenetrable. Lanson must turn off the shield from inside. A general orders the shield tested, on Manhattan. Lanson is killed in an accident, leaving Manhattan under a dome. (Ellipsoid, to be precise.) After sixty years, another genius finally figures out a way to dissolve the field. The final part of the story is a reading of part of the diary from one Manhattanite, all of whom died, followed by listeners continuing their planning for the future.

It is amazing how few SF writers come up with a truly original idea.

12. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago because I was totally bored by the series. So goodbye guys, I won't be posting again in this thread.

PS - my best friend is still watching and enjoying it. My son, like me, has given up on the series.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll keep watching through the end of this season, but whether I'll still care enough to watch next year seems kinda doubtful.

Although if they ever end up killing Hank-- er, I mean Big Jim, I'm stopping right there. Because he's pretty much the only thing giving this show any kind of depth or gravitas right now.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

yeah, i'm finishing this season because it's summer, but it's really kinda dumb and not going anywhere. Nowhere good, anyway. Just boring, safe cliches at best. Eh...

15. Trekker4747

If this is going to be a summer series with the next season not returning until next June/July I don't see myself sticking around either unless something *really* happens that changes the game. Otherwise this show has just been a way to waste a Monday evening before heading to bed.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alternatively in a year, you could have forgotten how much you disliked Under the Dome because there's something quite new and more horrible at the forefront of your attention.

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Let's hope it's not Almost Human!

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Oh boy, a fight club episode next week. Its become a television staple, especially on genre shows.

19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spoiler alert!

They Killed "Sonny" :klingon: Those bastards!

20. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

So last night's episode shows that this shouldn't have been given another season, based on the fact they don't have enough subject material to draw decent stories from.

The whole fight club thing is just stupid as was Julia's "Oh it's okay you killed my husband" to Barbie. The Maxine character popping up out of nowhere, Big Jim killing someone every week and then managing to cover it up to both himself and everyone else. Even the dialogue is piss poor *banging head of desk because I keep watching*

This show needs a "Smash"-like firing of the writing staff.