AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Did I say that? No. So I probably didn't mean that either.

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Same here, found it to be a fun romp of a movie, SFX have summed it up well though for me.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm not really into Marvel's superheroes, so I didn't go into this thing pumped like the rest of you, but I had a good time. I found it to be your average summer superhero movie. For me, it wasn't anything special, but it looked good, had some cool tech, a laugh or two, and I'll admit, it was nice to see the culmination of something that's been in the works for several years. I give it a generous B+.

- Loki wasn't a menacing or biting villain. In fact, I found him to be rather sympathetic. Still, I enjoyed seeing him. The actor has charisma.

- I don't like recasting either, but Mark Ruffalo did a fantastic job. It even looked like they gave the Hulk a little of his likeness.

- The team had a lot of the same problems that The New 52's Justice League has. In other words, they had a lot of kinks to work out, to put it mildly, but I thought their antics played much better here. They didn't come off as unlikeable.

- Cobie Smulders was way hotter than Scarlett Johansson.

- The post credit sequence was probably the best one yet. It really fit the mood, though I thought that maybe something like that should have been kept until the very end of the franchise. Of course, who's to know when the end will be.

-
    Agent Coulson joins Captain Robau in the great beyond. RIP

...for now. :devil:

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yes, I have seen the film several times thank you, my point was that it was now in the hands of the military and probably eventually SHIELD, who may well have been using it as part of the Phase 2 program after that film, and during this one, making it impossible to have it up and running in the Avengers, or half way across the world on some other vital work.

5. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

18.7 million from midnights, Best midnight total for any comic book movie. Looking at breaking OW record!

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Probably going to see it on Sunday, though I still haven't seen Thor or Captain America. I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch them in time.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved Smaulders in this movie. Her character Maria Hill definitely emerges as the 'new' Phil Caulson in terms of being an 'everyman' ('everywoman') character we as an audience can relate to.

Not sure I'd compare and contrast ScarJo and Smaulders, though, because they're both beautiful and incredibly talented actresses who really get to hold their own in what otherwise is a 'boys movie'.

8. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just saw it & loved it. Had a great pace, story was good, Scarlett was hot, loved RDJr. Ruffalo was a great Dr. Banner & Hulk was great. Will be seeing this one again.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Grade: A+

Finally, Finally, Finally I saw this and due to work just getting to here. Saw it at 12:03am with a packed house and they were lining up for a 3am as well.

As noted by nearly everyone that's seen it you will just NOT see 2-3 moments from the Hulk coming. They just happen and the audience loves it each time. He says something during one of them but we missed it.
    After he plays bash a mole with Loki what does he say as he walks off? Is it "Puny Human"

Very pleased with both female roles in the film but cause it's Joss Whedon not surprised. It's one reason he got the job. Also, cause it's Whedon and his fans know him I wasn't totally shocked when
    Coulson was killed. DAMN YOU WHEDON!!! But can you really have a film with demi-gods and aliens and no one in the central circle suffer?

The matter of the Captain America trading cards was indeed a manipulative move considering what Fury had to do to present them as he did. They got a push indeed.

Evans was great again as Captain America. I liked seeing a brief shot of the thaw out scene finally. Again, nice comic roots acknowledgement without being cheesy. Some good lines for him not seen in trailers. The line of "flying monkeys" and "hey, that one I get", nice nod to his era. The pointed note that it's 3 weeks later since the end of Cap and for him and his viewpoint the War is still going on. I liked his line in Germany when Loki is there.

Thor was awesome again as well. Why he doesn't wear his battle helmet when Loki does still is my biggest peeve. I don't want to hear "it'll look silly" either. Look at that cast, don't tell me his winged helmet is less an issue than Cap's helmet, Loki's horns or anything else.

I must say I really liked how they handled Clint Barton and I'm not his biggest fan. The way his quiver and/or bow would hold certain points and he'd manipulate by control on the bow which point he got for the shaft. The way he also realistically ran out and what he did when that happened. The in story reason he's Hawkeye. He likes to sit up high, like a hawk, and survey what's going on. His actual Agent nickname seems to be Hawk before he suits up and Black Widow starts calling him Hawkeye.

Moving to Black Widow--I don't care but there was more than enough backstory elements dropped that I want a BW solo film. It could be a two-fer cause Clint clearly has a role to play in her backstory as well. It could be a good support role at least with BW still being the lead. I sat next to a heftyier gal and during the Loki/BW manipulation scene she lowly said to her friend, "Were the two "from behind" angles that necessary?" I wanted to say, YES, YES they were!!

Hulk--rocked it. He is without a doubt the scene stealer several times over. With Ruffalo on a 6 picture deal we are no doubt getting another solo Hulk film. If he gets fleshed out and can grow with the character via cameo's in another film or two then I think he's very ripe for that solo film. Assuming they keep the characterization on this upward momentum path.
    Hulk vs Thor
    Hulk vs Iron Man
    Hulk vs Chitarri(Skrulls) aliens
    My inner Hulk fan was fully pleased in almost every way.

I was really surprised at just how much Paltrow had to do as Pepper Potts in this. I know in a 2.5hr film her under 10 min of screen time isn't a Support Role but it's not a cameo either. She had probably, what, 5-7min. Also, what did she say to Coulson in the elevator as that scene ended. I felt it might have been an easter egg. Or maybe since they dropped the LDM in that scene I was hoping for another. The Jane Foster head shot still from Thor, now that was a cameo. Was looking for a Liv Tyler nod at some point, did anyone catch if that was in any paperwork or monitors?

Someone said they felt sympathy towards Loki and didn't see him as menacing. The last part is open to opinion I guess but the first part is spot on, that's a large part of what makes him a great foe. Casting Hiddlestone really sells the character, they did well by finding him.
    Also, glad at the the nod to the comic Avengers but having Hulk indeed manipulated by Loki, if briefly.

The mid-credit reveal was indeed great.
    Thanos--had a group behind me scratching their heads and asking who was that. They appreciated me filling them in on his worship of death.
    The end-end credits
    is almost a 4th wall breaker in a subtle way. No dialogue just the team exhausted and grabbing some chow.

Loved all the banter, the dialogue was fantastic. I can't wait to see it again in 5.5 hours. The group wanted 3-D so I'm glad I went to the 2D midnight for my first exposure!!

As a side the theater had several insistent hushes for TDKR trailer but TASM trailer did not get that same treatment. Low talking over the Spiderman trailer, probably about TDKR as it followed it. They were more interested in Brave and Frankenweenie than the new TASM movie it seemed.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Hulk chuckles and says "Puny God"

And, yeah, really didn't see that coming. Got the biggest laugh from the audience when I went to see it, and we'd all got plenty of laughs out of the film at that point.

11. Captain Craig

^^^
    Thanks for that dialogue clarification!!

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"Puny God"

13. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Puny God :)

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

No problem, we laughed that hard we barely heard Loki's whimpering afterwards. :lol:

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a major spoiler or anything, she just asks him about 'the cellist' - a woman Coulson was seeing.

16. Captain Craig

Thanks guys!! Now I can translate for the group tonight cause I've no doubt the same audience reaction will happen.

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

His wft just happened look also helped to sell it.

18. Captain Craig

Ah, nice cause Tony does allude to that but since I missed her line it seemed new to me when Tony mentioned it during his conversation with Cap.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

No doubt :)

Loki's expressions helped sell a lot of his scenes but that one was particularly hilarious.

20. Captain Craig

Also true. He's so caught up in his bravado, pride and speech which Hulk doesn't care to listen to like some would and just let him finish he thus proceeds to interrupt him in that great manner.
    His WTF look indeed finishes the scene in a glorious manner. No teleporting when you're caught flat footed!!