Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Snaploud, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

You guys are such negative nellies. Yes, there are concerns, but it's not like some five year old came up with this and they just decided to run with it! And some of the concerns listed here are just ridiculous. I love the way Amazon looks to the future instead of just staying put.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be impressed when I start seeing this:

[​IMG]

Seriously, though, I hope this works out for them. If it means faster deliveries, with less congestion, fuel consumption, and such, then I'm all for it.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I wanna order some pigs using this service, cause, well, you know...

4. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Planes are able to fly when the visibility is low because the government has mapped out the tall buildings, antennas and terrain. Aviation maps are divided into rectangles which indicate an altitude above which planes can rely on not colliding with anything but birds and other aircraft. Pilots have to submit their routes to government traffic controllers ahead of time and follow controller directions to prevent collisions with other aircraft.

Planes still have maximum wind conditions for landing and takeoff, which are usually lower for aircraft that hover or fly at lower speeds to take off and land. Many jets have to travel at speeds comparable to those on stock car tracks to stay aloft. Additional problems would occur in the eddies downwind of obstructions like buildings and trees.

To leave packages in front of residences these drones would be descending into the space occupied by things like buildings, trees, flagpoles, fences, overhead utility wires and pedestrians. Many of these things aren't going to be plotted out on maps and may have changed since the last time the street view car drove by.

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

While true, the drones could be fitted with infared or other alternative sensors for close-in navigation that can see through clouds.

Or they could simply discontinue drone delivery in bad weather. It doesn't have to be an always-on service.

6. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ While Amazon sold 60 Minutes a Pie in the sky infomerical the day before Cyber Monday, Google is working on a real world delivery solution - Robots:

NY Times

7. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

8. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When we have this, I'm going to have an android get out of the autonomous car, and deliver me a Roomba to my door. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013