Embrace or Reject?: "Space as treated like an ocean.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by TribblesAreAmok, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Keptin J D Reed

Keptin J D Reed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Tut tut tut. Submarines have Sonar. Well, they also have radar for when they surface, but for the purposes of detecting other submarines in the 3D environment you are discussing, they use Sonar.

I'll now stop being Anal and crawl back under the rock from whence I came ;)

2. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Thank you! Yes, it did. And towards the end of the movie it actually does use some 3D effects to make you feel as if space is all around you.

And, space is an ocean. The analogy is entirely correct.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

4. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

What about 1D? Everyone fight in a singularity!

5. Maverisms

Maverisms Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I need to dig out my copy of '09 and check, but I don't recall there being many shots with two ships fighting each other on screen at the same time.

I know they did do it, especially the Kelvin scenes, but I don't think they did it often. It's not a far step from what they did to not showing ships side by side at all.

I have to come down on the side of the lazy production accusation. There are ways to do action and relate to the audience what is happening without Star Wars space battles.

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To show two ships at once, yes. To show them seperately, which is what the original series often did? Different wuestion.

Because if sensors remain that strategy makes no sense. You can't have a submarine battle when you know where your opponent is. This is where the cloaking device was needed as a handwave to have a space submarine battle. Simple as.

7. C.E. Evans

Huh? You did ask "But if you want to show them being thousands of kilometers aparrt, how do you make that interesting to look at, is the question."

You can't show ships thousands of kilometers apart on any screen unless you reduce the ships to really tiny points of lights only distinguishable from the background starfield by the fact they move. I don't think many viewers would find that interesting to look at or not for very long.

Your only real options is to either do it like TOS in which the camera cuts back and forth between ships or do it like TNG in which they show ships close together and don't pay too much attention to stated distances.

What strategy?
    :confused:
    Why not? I think submarine battles occur when they know where their opponents are.
    Not simple at all, because you've totally lost me there. Cloaking devices can neutralize sensors, but that still doesn't mean starships shouldn't be equipped with them. If nothing else, starships need sensors in order to navigate between planets.

8. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're missing the point. Submarine battles occur where you know roughly where the enemy is but not exactly. When someone is talking about a submarine battle instead of battleships on the surface, they're talking about running silent to avoid detection, listening for a hint of where the enemy might be, and using thermal layers to mask your approach. None of that works when long range sensors give you the exact location and heading of the enemy.

9. C.E. Evans

No, you've missed the point because I'm talking more about starships than I am about submarines.
    I didn't think that needed to be said. But my question to the person I was talking to is why can't starships have sensors that can detect exactly where the enemy is?
    Why is that a bad thing for starships? We've seen battles fought like that before in Trek many times.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're using an analogy that makes no sense, however. If two starships can detect each other, they cannot have a fight in any way comparable to a submarine engagement.

It's that simple.

11. C.E. Evans

Hardly, because I don't even think we're talking about the same subject.
    :confused:

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Time for someone to restate the point.

13. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I can see the analogy, but I would like to see a new modern Trek taking a more realistic approach to space where it could. In accordance to what we know about it currently.

14. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, we shouldn't treat space as an ocean.

We should treat it as a sea.

There is a difference.

15. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I just see space as a big, wide sky.