DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting point of view. I didn't think of that way. At least it's better than being erased I suppose :)

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yep, I wonder if the poor guy ever had a gal pal named Steph?

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither Stephanie Brown nor Cassandra Cain were listed as allies of Batman in BATMAN #0. Although that, obviously, isn't a definitive answer to the question.

4. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guys, they rebooted the entire universe. It's hardly the most major change that happened, even if the bat-books were largely unaffected. Deal with it.

5. Admiral_Young

They didn't reboot the entire universe. They rebooted most of it. Batman, Green Lantern, and the Legion of Superheroes were all carried over from the DCU into the 52'Verse. As for "dealing with it", we are. That doesn't mean we have to like it :)

6. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I said, "even if the bat-books were largely unaffected." That doesn't mean they were immune to change. Consider that Batman and Green Lantern interacted numerous times with characters who no longer exist.

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I dont think they ever said unaffected, I think they said the least changed.

8. Admiral_Young

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Or, rebooted to be ALMOST the same as they were. But, yeah, its a reboot--even if somethings didn't change that much.

If you look at it as a clean slate, its pretty consistent.

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^ All we need now is the new Professor Zoom to appear in the Nu52 or did I miss it already?

11. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Lost Days was already significantly referenced in Red Hood and the Outlaws.

12. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it seems to me now that it's basically an across the board reboot. Even in terms of the Bat-, Lantern-, and Legion-continuities. Sure, they may keep more of their histories, in the broad strokes, but at least some details have changed. In Batman's case, there's not any more of a clean slate than post-CoIE or Zero Hour. Most of the history may be there, but some points have been altered.

In Green Lantern's case, I doubt much more than the previous (post-Rebirth) volume can be counted on... Much the same with the Legion. Little can be counted upon as concrete prior to Levitz' return; even the Geoff Johns stuff immediately prior to that is no longer a comfortable fit, what with the changes to Superman.

I think that bugs me the most... In the couple of years between the 'real' Legion's return in The Lightning Saga and Flashpoint, we got to the point that practically everything from the Silver age Legion history was in continuity again. Now it's up in the air. Of course, as a long time Legion fan, I should be used to that by now...

--g

13. Professor Zoom

I think its safe to assume if its on the page, then it happened. If not, then MAYBE it happened, maybe it didn't.

14. Admiral_Young

Even if it's on a page that doesn't necessarily mean that it "happened", the Tim stuff in "Teen Titans" is point and case as the Bleeding Cool article indicated a couple weeks back.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Be funny if it was the Zoom from the old continuity. He'd be scratching his head and wondering why Iris and Barry aren't married and why Tim was never Robin. ;)

16. Professor Zoom

Well, that specific example is a little 1984ish. But this is where we are with being continuity obsessed. All the ts must be crossed. And if there was no T, go back and draw one in for the trade.

17. Admiral_Young

I doubt we will see Zoom any time soon in the 52'Verse since Thrawne was such a big part of Flashpoint in manipulating Barry. I suspect that if DC decides to use Zoom in the 52'Verse it will be for a major story event.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

NuZoom who we have never met before indiginous to the new 52, or the Zoom that survived Flashpoint amazed at what has become of the world?

19. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or even a new version of the Hunter Zoloman Reverse Flash might even be cool.

20. Admiral_Young

Pulls for today:

Before Watchmen Nite-Owl #3
    Supergirl #0
    Wonder Woman #0