Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Just go ahead and get the DVDs we are lucky Farscape is even in print again let alone a Blu-Ray release.

2. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

I concur. Farscape was shot in the Pal format so it would benefit from a Bluray upgrade but not as much as other series to bluray. Why deny yourself the pleasure of these now Starbreaker??? If they release them on Bluray it would probably take a couple more years plus they would not be this cheap. Im sure the regular dvds will benefit a little from upscaling on a bluray player. I figured for $69.99 I couldnt go wrong.:techman:

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

That's odd. I did receive a confirmation email from Best Buy for my set, but when I went to my store this morning, the only one they had in the store was the one they were holding for me.

At least they did have a couple of copies of Star Trek XI.

4. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got my set via UPS this morning. Very spiffy looking set so far, and it comes loaded with cool extras. Unfortunately, it looks as though they failed to make it in widescreen, so I won't be able to watch it without VLC because that's needed to fix the aspect ratio. Hopefully HDTVs that come out in the following months will have an auto crop feature to get rid of the disgusting non-widescreen issues.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gotta say I'm rather opposed to chopping the picture to make it fit the screen just as I did with pan&scan discs on our old sets. That being said you might be able to find a DVD player that can do what your TV can't.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

What do you mean failed to make the series widescreen? Seasons 1-3 were shot and mastered in 4:3 fullscreen. Why would you want to crop the image down to less than originally filmed?

On the other hand, if seasons 4 and/or The Peacekeeper Wars is on the discs in fullscreen, that would be a rip-off.

7. Leroy

What were the old ADV DVDs where they full or widescreen? Didn't A&E just port everything over from that aside from the packaging?

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The ADV DVDs were fullscreen for seasons 1-3, widescreen for season 4. Just as the series was shot and mastered.

Are these really just 1 for 1 ports from the ADV releases? And, if so, which ones? The Starbust sets?

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's my favorite show of all times. There is no military, no orders (Except for the Peacekeepers but we see that point of view from the other side really), but just one hell of a cast, awesome puppets that are more human than some of the Humans I've seen on certain Scifi series' (I'm looking at you BSG), and a mixture of arc and episodic storytelling that suits well with whatever you're looking for. People say that the final four episodes of Season 1 is really when the series takes off, and that may be true, but there are a number of outstanding episodes in the first season. Durka Returns introduces Chiana, A Bugs Life could be kind of like a prolouge to what is to come, the First episode was great, and then Human Reaction which sets the whole thing with Wormholes in motion.

Anyway, I just ordered my set. So glad this thing is out. I can always get Star Trek at Christmas time. Having the opportunity to get this set now was something I just couldn't pass up. I'm so ready to reunite myself with some of Scifi's best characters ever.

I still watch clips on Youtube. Someone did like a top 25 Aeryn and John moments and I think I saw all of them. I still have a giant smile on my face at the number one moment, which was:

The birth of Little D

10. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just picked up my set from Best Buy...

The price of $69.99 was too good to pass up but the with the inclusion of PKW as well as In Store Pick-Up, I was sold.

If Best Buy stays competitive on Sci-Fi/TV sets like this, I'll continue to use their services.

11. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. The havent had very good prices on dvds in years, for me at least. I have always been able to get them cheaper on line for at least 4 years now. This one was a shocker.:lol:

12. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

About to head out and pick up my copy! I'm glad I can finally own this series instead of just watching my pirated episodes.

13. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I'm quite offended at this very notion of butchering shows that were filmed in fullscreen. That was the way they were intended to be seen and they were composed specifically for that sort of presentation. I can understand if the shows were shot widescreen and not released to DVD in that format, but anyone who thinks it's a good idea to chop up the images is clueless, I'm sorry. It's no different than colorizing black and white movies. Leave them the way they were originally composed. And any HDTV that doesn't allow programs to be viewed in their original aspect ratio without chopping is a piece of garbage.

Alex

14. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Well said.

15. Trubinator

You're absolutely right! Because watching a TV show that presents itself as a box that takes up about 50% of the set size is really awesome. Everyone is sure gonna love the aesthetics there!

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Cropping the tops and bottoms off of a picture filmed in 4:3 to fit a widescreen TV is just as egregious as cropping the sides off of a picture filmed in 16:9 to fit a standard TV. It's not the amount of screen a picture takes up that matters, it's being able to see the entire picture, no matter how it was framed.

17. Trubinator

Oh well, there isn't going to be any common ground in this debate. I'll just say that I think fullscreen DVDs look like absolute shit on new televisions.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Of course they do, especially if the fullscreen DVD is actually a cropped version of a movie filmed in a widescreen aspect ratio.

19. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I love the packaging on this set. The individual season ... boxes? (probably some technical term here I am forgetting) are quite thick and sturdy and the disc releases inside the boxes are the high-quality kind. I wish the DS9 and Voyager sets had this same level of quality. Voyager in particular had some really crappy packaging.

So far I've managed to unpack the set and load it into my 400 disc changer. Perhaps I'll watch some of it tonight. :lol:

20. Leroy

So what is the situation with the Farscape picture? Did A&E screw it up? Because when the Premiere came out I don't remember it being in widescreen.
    You are right about that at least R2 got good packaging for the slimline editions.