Dark City Restored

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Carpe Occasio, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"It's quite a different version of the movie, and it's about 10 or 11 minutes longer, I think," Proyas said.. "And it's just stuff that we had that we shot. It's effectively my first test-screening version of the movie."

Proyas said that he had a chance to redo some of the film's elaborate visual effects as well.

The director's cut of
    Dark City will be available on DVD and Blu-ray on July 29.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=58070

2. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting. Might have to watch it with a group of my friends.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, "just some stuff that we shot" + tacked on CGI? Well, that's worst case scenario, maybe it's all quite good, guess we'll see.

4. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Funny, I was thinking the same thing....

5. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, he really doesn't do a good job of selling it!

Would be nice to see on Blu-ray tho.

6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a better interview on AICN where he says they put back in things that the studio had forced him to take out and that he really enjoyed doing this.

7. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

That sounds more promising.

When I saw the film Matrix the words Dark City started running through my head fairly rapidly once it got going.

8. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh cool! I loved this movie--I hope the extras are good.

9. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just finished watching the new Directors Cut. I noticed quite a few extended scenes throughout the movie, but nothing that changes the plot in any significant way. The opening narration has also been removed, which should make the revelation of the cities true nature more interesting for first time viewers.

The new special effects must be pretty seamlessly blended into the original movie, because even though there where a few effects that I thought looked new, I was never certain.

I can't say that the Directors Cut has improved the movie all that much for me, but that is okay with me since I already thought the movie was excellent.

I haven't watched the special features yet.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only added scene is where Keifer Sutherland tortures Rufus Sewell and screams, "Damnit! Tell me where Neo is now! There's not enough time!"

11. Antihero

Antihero Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I got it. Not a lot of changes. They take out the opening voiceover (a welcome change, IMO). Some scenes are extended but mostly just for establishing/scope shots.

There are a couple things I didn't remember being in the original. There's a little girl under the dead hooker's bed.

It's been a long time since I saw the movie, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple shots of fingerprints that weren't there before.

Some decent special features on the disc but nothing to write home about.

12. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bought the DC this week, but I've only looked at the special features so far. I hope to check out the movie tomorrow.

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I already own this, so I doubt I'll replace it with a Blu-ray. OTOH, I might pick it up if/when it drops to like $10.

14. Antihero

Antihero Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I couldn't even find the Blu-Ray, I just bought the DVD Special Edition. Which still looks amazing.

15. MikeGainer

MikeGainer too fat to fish Fleet Captain

I watched this film just about a week ago for the first time and its now on my top 10 favorite movies. Its an underrated gem that went pass the radar (well for me anyway). I'll have to pick this up on Blu-ray.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Does this version also have a commentary by Roger Ebert? He recorded one for the original DVD release, but his website reports that he also recorded one for the extended cut of the film. I love his commentaries, but he's lost the ability to speak, and this may be the last one he had the opportunity to record.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

On the DVD:

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sweet. I'll have to get this. I must admit I haven't ever seen this film, having been waiting for the extended cut that omits the dreaded voice over for a number of years now.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hooray Netflix. I'll be watching.

20. Valar

Valar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just got it at Sam's Club for 13 bucks. I hope its good,