Star Trek Into Darkness review by Steve Burgess

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shaka Zulu, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I stopped taking him seriously when he dissed Stairway to Heaven...you don't **** around with Led Zeppelin.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The difference it was shocking and a bad thing when TOS Spock lost his cool. Now, we're expected to cheer along like grinning idiots whilst he repeatedly pummels some dude in face.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep. :bolian:

You not Only. You Grup! Bonk, bonk on da head! ;)

I cheered when Christine Chapel slaps him out of a healing trance in TOS. ;)

4. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Well then the narrative went over your head.

5. Shazam!

EDIT: Urgh, forget it.

6. Kruezerman

All right. As I pointed out in my analysis, Spock represents emotion, and when, after Kirk dies, he loses it, we are shown that this is a loss of control. A loss of control that a little later on, is shown to put a life on the line that could be saved. Indeed, it was in the dialogue.

7. Shazam!

Yes, it's a loss of control but the way it was presented here was like watching Bruce Banner Hulk out; we can't wait until he catches up with the bad guys and gives them what for.

I feel that the first movie handled his outburst far more effectively, displaying genuine consequence, remorse and embarrassment. Having done so again in this movie (as part of its climax no less), a Spock-out has now become a thing that we're to look forward to and expect which I think is mistake.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  8. Kruezerman

No. Your analysis is incorrect and shows a poor understanding of the events of the latter third of the movie. Spock was the only person that could stop Harrison one on one, they could not transport a large troop down because they were extremely low on power and the confusion from the Vengeance rendered calling on Starfleet unfeasible. But we also have Spock's revenge and his loss of control to deal with. So we have a compromised Spock going against a superman. Khan had to be stopped and Spock was the only person physically able to do it.

As for people cheering, people cheered when Hitler died, when Saddam Husein died, Bin Laden, etc. The general public does not like oppressors or bad people. But this attitude is covered in Kirk's speech, where he said that we must strive for better, and not let our anger get in the way. But of course, you knew this because you watched the same movie I did, so that makes me wonder if you actually payed any attention.

9. Shazam!

What on Earth are you talking about? Did you pay any attention to what I posted? Like, at all?

And then you have the nerve to follow up this irrelevant nonsense with a slight on my comprehension skills?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  10. Kruezerman

Aye and I gave reasoning as to why Spock acted the way he did, why he beamed down and why he nearly killed Harrison.

11. Shazam!

I know why he acted the way he did.

The emotional bubble bursting had already been covered in the first movie (and far more effectively I might add) and by repeating the trick here (only this time presenting the audience with a sense of anticipation and excitement) they've essentially created their own little Bruce Banner who we won't be satisfied with until he's had his little Hulk out moment.

12. Kruezerman

*shrug*

It worked.

13. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

This does show that Spock is half-human, after all.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep. Spock Prime didn't realise this until he shed a tear for Vejur.

This Spock learned it earlier.

15. the Sisko

the Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I'm mixed on it. This was a much slower burn. In the first movie, spock lost his planet and mother and pointed out that earth was the only home he had left. The first half of the second movie had Spock in denial of his feelings. That's why he was so resigned to die on the planet. That's the point of Uhura's dialogue en route to Kronos and their later reconciliation. The second half saw Spock's suppression reach it's limits after he saw Khan "kill" Kirk and "raise his arms" on Uhura. Key point, Khan walks with murderous intent towards Uhura... Spock rips a piece of metal off the transport and beats Khan nearly dead in response... causing even Uhura to tell him to calm down.

Now Star Trek 3 could be more openly Spock centric since we've now wrapped up Kirk earning the chair he was given. Mind you, Spock saved the alien planet and stopped Kirks drone strike before beating Khan in both intellect and physical strength (while restraining himself from murdering Khan and his people) so this movie did have quite a bit of Spock's actions if not thoughts.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate to break it to this guy, but the Abrams Trek films are canon.

17. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

It's not difficult: nuCanon, but Canon none the less!

18. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

HAHAHA BIG LOL...There are still trek fans who refuse to accept that jj's trek is canon.

memory alpha anyone?

last I checked JJ's trek is on memory alpha, the official canon Trek wiki. JJ's trek is not really featured on memory beta the unofficial Trek wiki.

Honestly I actually liked how the reviewer talked about the unique friendship between kirk and spock and how the re-acted scene in STiD was not a rip off. However what ruined the scene was Spock screaming Khan after kirk's death.

Spock screaming khan made the whole scene look like a serious parody.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It just sounds like he got his terminology confused between canon/non-canon and the prime universe/alternate universe, not that he's denying that this counts as part of the overall Trek canon.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Canon is a myth.