Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MacLeod, May 20, 2013.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Our family has discussed which game console we would buy. We have decided on the PS4.

2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've said that you can turn on certain privacy settings in the OS. I can't imagine most people using it the way they want you to use it though - as a passthrough device for ALL media content.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how this is possible, but it just keeps getting worse. Check out this patent from Microsoft that Kotaku uncovered for Kinect. Here's the highlight.

Invited a few friends over to watch a new movie on your Xbox One? Well, unfortunately your license only covers three people. Guess you'll have to draw straws to see who has to hide behind the couch.

Just adding that, yes, this is just a patent that has a 99% chance of never seeing the light of day, but it's still a pretty fucked up idea.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's still way, way too early to choose which console to buy right now. Yes, right now the PS4 appears to be better than the XBO, but there's still too many unknowns about both consoles. MS have already moved to contain the backlash by announcing that they haven't finalised their DRM strategy yet, and we still haven't seen any of those exclusive games that they're going to reveal at E3. Meanwhile, Sony have been somewhat cagey about their DRM strategy and are likely being pressured by publishers to do something similar to MS, and they haven't confirmed whether they will shove online features behind a paywall like MS. On top of all of that, we don't know the price of either console.

Personally, I plan to wait 3 months to a year after the release of both consoles before choosing which one (if any) I plan to purchase. I don't want to be the one that bought this generation's Dreamcast, although I probably wont as I have no intention of buying a Wii U. :p

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

The Dreamcast was a fantastic console.

6. TheGodBen

It was a good console with several great games that died on its arse after two years.

I don't want to pay €500 for a PS4 at launch only for publishers to drop support for it relatively quickly.

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Will never happen.. both "big" consoles will be successful and well supported no matter what because both companies can't afford a total failure.

Look at the technical RROD problems the 360 had for much of its lifetime.. MS has sunk much money into servicing/replacing these.

Games developers also won't be able to drop support for one console over the other (barring exclusive titles like Halo for which MS pays through the roof).

So no matter what you choose you will have a console you can use for years to come. All that differs are features both consoles provide.. the PS4 looks to be more concentrated on gaming while the XBO wants to be both your living room media center as well as a gaming console.

In the end it comes down to preference and what offer suits your taste/need better.

8. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

That's old news and will never, ever be implemented unless Microsoft wants their sales to plummet considering devices like Apple TV, Roku and plain old DVD and blu-ray players exist.

9. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

i tell ya what, if this thing forces us to have an always-on kinect than fuck em, I won't buy, I don't want a camera and microphone in my den. Period.

10. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Seriously :wtf:... 1984 anyone? That really is fucked up. That's not the kind of gaming system that I'd want anywhere near my home. That's a little too privacy invading for my taste.

Same here. Especially if someone finds a way to hack the fricken stuff like they have on laptop cameras/pc ones >_>... Not something I'd want on all the time. There has to be a way to turn it off, it wouldn't make any sense to keep it on 24/7.

11. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like microsoft doesn't want any more of my money.

12. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For what will probably be the last gaming console I ever purchase in my life, Microsoft is making it so much easier to decide on the PS4. It would take a miracle at E3 for me to come back to Xbox.

I want the less invasive console that doesn't try to choke me with movement controls nor watches me sleep (I keep my console on my entertainment shelf in my bedroom). If I lose my Internet connection I want to be able to play my saved games.

If people in the Cracked comments sections and forums are to be believed, if Microsoft tries to look through the Kinect cameras, they're gonna get a whole lotta looks at penises.

13. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I have a XBOX 360. I don't use it to watch movies, to listen to music, or to socialize with other people. I use it to play games.

When I heard about the XBOX 1, I was like, why do I need more of what I don't use now?

My biggest worries about the Playstation 4 is (a.) will there be a diversity of games? and (b.) the graphics of the console. I didn't buy a PS3 because I was led to believe that the graphics were less good than the XBOX 360, and the games of the PS3 didn't interest me as much as those on the latter console.

When I think of the many features being touted as available to the XBOX 1, I think about this line from ST III,

(I have taken a risk lately. I have purchased a used PS3, and are looking forward to playing used games from Gamefly. Which raises another question, will Gamefly survive in the next generation of consoles? Not everyone has the money to pay for a new game, some, like me, have to settle for used games. I feel that the direction that the next generation is heading towards will actually reduce the size of the video gaming population, which I feel will be disastrous. I have heard it said that the new XBOX is for the "rich and privileged". [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7358-Xbox-One-out-of-Ten])

14. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I was one who didn't want the PS3 at launch, bought one when the small, cheaper version came out. It's a good console. The graphical differences are minor and in some cases better on the PS3, the games are for the most part the same and only difference is the exclusives.

15. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I love this, MS try and kill the second hand games market, then go and set up their own second hand game market on their next xbox which makes them profit from every sale. lol

16. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

It makes sense that they're not focusing on games, everybody knows it's going to play games but the question is what else will it do?

As for the DRM problem, Steam and most other developers have similar strategies so it won't be different for us BUT I can see where the used games industry could be hurt, and this coming from somebody who rarely buys a new game.

But the question is the logging on once a day. Or what? Is it for sure going to happen? What will it mean?

17. TheGodBen

You're most likely right, and at this early stage it looks like the PS4 is going to be the leading system of the next generation so long as Sony doesn't screw the pooch somehow. But I'd prefer to play it safe and see what way the wind is blowing before committing hundreds of euros to a console.

Some statements out of Sony suggest that the PS4 is going to come bundled with a PS Eye camera, so it too could be mandatory. We'll likely find out at E3.

I understand why people keep bringing up Steam in relation to the XBO, but I just don't think it's a fair comparison. Other than the fantastic value provided by their frequent sales, the state of PC gaming was very different when Steam took off than the state that console gaming is in now. PC gaming was being smothered by increasingly restrictive anti-piracy measures in the early-mid 00s, and publishers were abandoning the platform or focusing mainly on console games. Before Steam, there was no used game market for PC games, CD-keys were considered normal, and internet activations had become standard. At a time when publishers were attempting ridiculous restrictions like limiting the number of installs you could do with a game disc, or always-online DRM, Steam emerged as the least-worst option for consumers.

Consoles haven't had that decade of crappy restrictions to make XBO's DRM seem reasonable. Buying and selling used games, the ability to loan games to friends, playing SP games without an internet connection, that is the current standard and the expectation of console gamers. The XBO's DRM isn't the least-worst option available to console gamers, it's the worst-worst option (that we currently know about).

18. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read several sources that say that the games installed to the console is available to all user accounts on that console. That's a bit better for me. As long as my kids can access my game purchases, I'm Ok with that. The only difference now is that I will be limited to owning only 1 Xbox One.

With regards to used games, I can't say that it matters much to me since I almost always buy new games.

I've pointed out elsewhere in this forum that the traditional business model of console manufacturers is to sell the consoles for a loss in the hopes of making the money back when they collect royalties from the games you buy for that console. The way the used game market worked threw a huge monkey wrench in that operation right away. Lets say Microsoft sold you an Xbox One at a $100 loss on the hopes that you'd buy at least 5 games over the life of that console. You never buy those games because you buy used all the time. Microsoft is actually better off having not sold you the console in the first place. The realization is that the console manufacturer probably doesn't want the business of primarily used game buyer/ game renter. They couldn't care less about those complaining about eradicating used game sales. Any statements contrary to that is just PR bullshit.

I have very little doubt that this DRM/Used Game policy was driven by pressure from the publishers and I'm reasonably sure Sony has similar plans with the PS4. There's no way you're going to buy Madden 25 on Xbox and can't sell it back while you can trade your PS4 copy of it in all day. This is the future we're going to live in.

What's more is that everytime I hear news of an awesome game developer closing its doors and going out of business because their last game only sold 1,000,000 copies and they needed to sell 1,500,000 to stay in business... and at the same time, 3,000,000 people have achievements/trophies for having played the game, I get a little worried about the future of my favorite past time. If Microsoft and Sony can devise a way cut game developers in on the second hand purchase of their software, then I'm at least willing to withhold judgement. I know one thing... Full retail is too much for a second hand game.

19. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read several sources that say that the games installed to the console is available to all user accounts on that console. That's a bit better for me. As long as my kids can access my game purchases, I'm Ok with that. The only difference now is that I will be limited to owning only 1 Xbox One.

With regards to used games, I can't say that it matters much to me since I almost always buy new games.

I've pointed out elsewhere in this forum that the traditional business model of console manufacturers is to sell the consoles for a loss in the hopes of making the money back when they collect royalties from the games you buy for that console. The way the used game market worked threw a huge monkey wrench in that operation right away. Lets say Microsoft sold you an Xbox One at a $100 loss on the hopes that you'd buy at least 5 games over the life of that console. You never buy those games because you buy used all the time. Microsoft is actually better off having not sold you the console in the first place. The realization is that the console manufacturer probably doesn't want the business of primarily used game buyer/ game renter. They couldn't care less about those complaining about eradicating used game sales. Any statements contrary to that is just PR bullshit.

I have very little doubt that this DRM/Used Game policy was driven by pressure from the publishers and I'm reasonably sure Sony has similar plans with the PS4. There's no way you're going to buy Madden 25 on Xbox and can't sell it back while you can trade your PS4 copy of it in all day. This is the future we're going to live in.

What's more is that everytime I hear news of an awesome game developer closing its doors and going out of business because their last game only sold 1,000,000 copies and they needed to sell 1,500,000 to stay in business... and at the same time, 3,000,000 people have achievements/trophies for having played the game, I get a little worried about the future of my favorite past time. If Microsoft and Sony can devise a way cut game developers in on the second hand purchase of their software, then I'm at least willing to withhold judgement. I know one thing... Full retail is too much for a second hand game.

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't discount Nintendo quite so easily. They are the most experienced company in this industry, have a Scrooge McDuck-sized money bin lying around for a rainy day, and they aren't going to just roll over because of a poor console launch. They managed to completely revitalize the 3DS and they could do the same for the Wii U. The Wii U did just receive a 875% boost in sales rank (not sales) on Amazon UK after the disastrous reveal of the Xbox One, so there is interest in the console. It just needs a price drop and 1 or 2 big name games to sell the system.

Last edited: May 24, 2013