Have you had alcohol turned on you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by teacake, Dec 25, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

GODDAMIT. Stout, my best friend, my mentor, my sexy rye bread lover has turned on me. I never thought this would happen, not with STOUT! It's happened with sooooo many drinks.. but stout, you know that stuff is pure, strong, holy. But apparently nothing is immune from hating on teacake. All of a sudden all the stouts, the darkest, bitterest, most challenging have an awful creamy taste to me, faintly coconut cream. They are sweet and surly and threatening to sicken. I am going to cry.

This is my problem with alcohol, eventually everything is too sweet. I hate sweet, I have no sweet tooth. But drink enough of it and red wine turns to syrup and white wine turns to sweet butter and spirits, they MORPH into every bit of carb loaded sugar they secretly contain. Secretly for other people who don't have this problem and get to ingest all those carb sugars without ever tasting them.

Stout lasted the longest, god bless it. It was my dear bitter friend.

I am sad.

2. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you don't turn on to alcohol...alcohol will turn on you. :shifty:

3. teacake

Ungrateful liquid!

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I stick to vodka and beers when I do drink, it has certainly backfired but at that point I barely remember it anyways.

5. teacake

Well I don't mean drinking too much.. rather it starts tasting way too sweet and I can no longer drink it.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I'm about halfway into a litre of Mentholmint Schnapps and I'm feeling just about right.

I'm lucky I could have gone back to schnapps, it was the first thing I ever got smashed on and it was a lotta years before I could stand the taste of it again.

Sometimes it's cheap (sparkling) plonk, sometimes it's lager.

Never too much though. I spent much of my early 20's over-imbibing and I never liked the taste of it coming back up as much as going down.

Sometimes you just have to try something new if your old standby is not doing it for you.

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    There's gin. I can't imagine that seeming sweet.

8. teacake

Really I just want a nice bitter draught. It's hot here.

9. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I prefer brandy but usually I drink cheap malt liquor. LOL. :(

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I generally stick to bourbon, scotch or vodka, straight or with seltzer. Some Bourbons are sweet-ish and some vodka's might be described as sweet, but I don't have your problem it would seem. Maybe switch to IPA? I've always thought part of the appeal of stouts is that they are kind of creamy and sweet.

11. teacake

I've gone the IPA route, inevitably they taste of fruit. Though less so if they are British.

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

As I've grown older, I've migrated from darker, richer ales to lighter ales. The darkest I'll really go is something similar in colour/taste of London Pride which I was drinking last night. Spitfire, Bath Ales Gem and most Badger beers are bloody nice as well.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i usually stick with one drink for several months till i get tired of it then move on to something else. the past several months i've been drinking mostly Jager.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I love sweet things so nothing in this thread applies to me!

15. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I used to enjoy a good scotch until the day it came at me with a gun and I had to smash it against the wall. You really can't trust anyone these days.

16. teacake

I like tropical fruit. That's my sugar of choice. Otherwise, nah.

17. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I'm allergic to too many fruits so I'm a little skittish about eating them now.