USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

Somewhere in all of these posts, we explain some of what you are asking about. We use to belong to a Star Trek Fan organization known as the IFT (International Federations of Trekkes). Their fictional side if you will, was the (Intergalactic Federation Taskforce). While the ships were in some senses part of Starfleet they were in a separate division, handling more dangerous missions, recons, getting needed medical supplies to certain areas, surveillance, missions and the list goes on. So some of the ships were more heavily armed then others. At the time we were NFC instead of NCC meaning we were part of Starfleet in ways just not sanction by Starfleet.

We are not with the IFT any more and thus went independent at this time, but allot of the stories we have been working on still use the premise of carrying out more dangerous missions and things like that. So we stuck with that part of it.

As you can see we are not cannon to any shows, so are ship is unique to us, of course having the usual 2 nacelles, saucer, and stardrive section, etc.

Yes, there was an original Avalon Class and the original Grandeur NFC 90125 was more or less a Scout Reconnaissance type ship, different from what you are seeing here. In our stories when the original Grandeur was for the most part badly destroyed, we were the first ones in the Avalon class line to get the full upgrade to a Heavy Tactical Cruiser. For sure more beefier, more special weapons upgrades, and so on and so fourth. Thus while there were still some regular Avalon class ships around, it was decided to keep the Class and name it Avalon Class II and like most ships that get rebuild to a different upgrade we also became the USS Grandeur NFC 90125-A

Anyway I hope that answers some of your questions. Again we, the USS Grandeur was the first to get this new Heavy Tactical Cruiser upgrade so at this time there are none besides us with this design and style. As far as the old Avalon class and the ships in our stories at the time, there were 3 named... Avalon of course, Grandeur, and the Majestic. There was other names thought of based off our Renaissance/medieval period theme, but none were ever presented.

2. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I was already aware that the Grandeur and the backstory relating to her wasn't going to be canon. Still, I figured that the backstory surrounding the Avalon class would make an interesting one.

Is the Avalon class is only used by the same group as the Grandeur, or if Starfleet uses members of this class as well? I don't suppose it has been decided to which branches the Avalon and Majestic belong to?

I think that the history of the original Grandeur and Avalon could be interesting, and I have my hopes that maybe these details will be filled in at some point.

And yes, you have answered some of my questions, and thank you for doing so. Though I'm hoping that over time, you might eventually fill in more of the gaps behind the Avalon class's history.

3. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

Without the risk of making people think we are hijacking this thread for anything but the ship itself, I will add this little bit more.

There really is not a huge Avalon Class History. When we joined IFT many years ago, we needed to come up with a name and class of ship. We did not want to use any cannon ships so my XO designed what was the old Grandeur and we were trying to think of names and Classes.

Because we both liked the Medieval period of time, Knights, Kings, Oueens, etc. And a little more importantly King Authur and the whole story, we decided that the word 'Avalon' would be a good name for the Class. Avalon as you may know was the Isle where King Arthur was laid to rest.
    While a few different names came up for the name of the ship we finally settled on Grandeur. Not catching it at that exact moment, but about a day later we had found out that Grandeur was the name of King Arthur's Horse, so it all tied in beautifully.

Short of that we had never given much more thought, nor did we need too, to creating anymore back story into the Avalon Class.

Here is a link to our shuttle page where as you can see we named our compliment of type 9 and type 11 shuttles after English names representing people, places or things.
    http://www.starshipgrandeur.org/html/shuttlecrafts.html

Should there ever be a need in future stories to address other ships being added to the Avalon II design then we may use other common names associated with that time period. Common well known names like, King Arthur, Sir Lancelot, Guinevere and the list goes on could be used.

That is about it, I hope people watching the thread does not get upset over so much detail. If any more questions need to be asked I guess we can do those in e-mail. Thank you for your interest.

4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there a big danger of that? I'm finding all of this interesting - seems to me that those that don't can scroll until they see more of Vektor's pretty pictures. ;)

5. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of pretty pictures, I'm really trying to get some new WIP images up within the next couple of days. I've been doing a lot of low-level cleanup type of stuff, optimizing geometry, trimming overlaps, welding seams, fixing errors here and there, almost none of which appear in the renderings, but I do have a few additions I'm looking forward to showing. Stay tuned.

6. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Tease!! :p

;)

Kidding! Looking forward to them.

Cheers,
    -CM-

7. Vektor

This is all I'm going to get posted tonight. There will be more tomorrow.

[​IMG]

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Can't wait!

9. Vektor

Let there be greebles!

[​IMG]

Oh, and ignore the photorp launchers for now; they're just placeholders.

10. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

lol, I love the torp launchers just above the impulse engine. Makes it look like this guy...

[​IMG]

11. Vektor

I guess I'll name the next one the U.S.S. Ludo. ;)

Last rendering for this weekend:

[​IMG]

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'd give a left side body part to have one tenth of your talent. Everything just looks so purposeful as opposed to other people's works where things just look like "detail for the sake of detail".

13. Vektor

That's... very flattering, in a twisted sort of way. ;)

I've spent too much of my life in the building and construction industry dealing with problems of functionality and practicality. I can't help putting the same kind of thought into my ship designs, though I'm sure I could complete them much more quickly if I didn't.

14. Tiberius

Here's a thought...

Keep the torp launchers roughly where they are, but on the sides have vents to release the exhaust gasses.

15. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about putting the torp launchers where the greeblies are to deal with the anthropomorphism issue

16. Vektor

I'm already planning to change the twin photorp launchers to a single quantum torpedo launcher. That should take care of the Ludo problem.

17. Tiberius

Ludo can't be unseen!!!!

*Laughs maniacally*

Maybe keep the twin launchers, but have them one on top of the other. That should solve the problem as well.

18. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Make it... THREE launchers.. :evil:

19. Tiberius

Make it four.

[​IMG]

Install ALL the launchers!!!

20. Vektor

Hmm... maybe a Gatling launcher...