AFT NACELLE (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by draderman, May 28, 2013.

1. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Even when I know what I am talking about, I constantly switch words if they are close in meaning or in sounding, I conflate terminology and often speak gibberish. OK, Khan is superintelligent, but even then, some of my and my colleagues' mistakes made it into our work jargon, so maybe he's repeating someone else's mistakes. Or maybe he still slips sometimes.

2. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Technically, four pages of the Star Trek Technical Manual appeared in STIII: a page showing the four or five classes and a page each for the Constitution, Hermes, Ptolemy, and Saladin. And, I believe in ST:TMP & STIII, they used deck plans made by Franz Joseph. Finally, a portion of a map first seen in that manual appeared in STII.

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'm just not sure that blink-and-you'll-miss-it diagrams that you can't read constitute confirmation of a relatively obscure book's terminology. :D

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The dialogue was obviously worded incorrectly, but I just took the scene to mean that the life support systems are located somewhere aft of where the nacelle pylons connect with the hull.

[​IMG]

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Which would appatch them to the ends of the linear portion of the main plasma conduits from the core, giving a lot of energy to them, keeping them well away from the core and weapons (critical hard points likely to be targetted).

6. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

In the shuttle bay, makes perfect sense.

7. Belz...

Yeah, so you can jettison it when needed.

8. throwback

Unfortunately, there isn't room for a life support system in that section of the Enterprise. This section was built like an airship hangar, with the control room positioned at the rear.

Personally, I think this Enterprise's secondary hull is a scary, mess with a weapon bay bifurcated by main engineering. Understanding this, I can understand Scotty's hesitation in having new torpedoes loaded onto his ship. I don't know of any ships where weapons were located in the vicinity of main engineering. There always seemed to be a separation between them greater than a wall.

(I am still conceptualizing how a cargo conveyor would work in a starship. [Star Trek Ongoing, Issue 19])

9. Locutus of Bored

Not in the shuttle bay itself, but to the sides, below, or above it, or in the nacelle pylon root.

10. throwback

Looking at the various pieces of evidence from different sources, the engineering hull has a weapons bay, main shuttlebay with ancillary bays, main engineering, main cargo deck with a cargo conveyor and freight turbolifts, quarters and laboratories for the engineering crew, waste management system, and life support system. Now, the question is, how do these pieces fit in this hull?

11. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

You mean the forward nacelle?

12. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Just out of curisoity, what's the difference between the two?

Ahem. A fuselage with thee nacelles!

13. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL what?!

Not MUCH greater. On Enterprise-A, the intermix shaft runs BETWEEN the torpedo tubes.:vulcan:

14. Belz...

Yes, that !

Trek has always used mostly naval terminology.

15. TheCutestofBorg

TheCutestofBorg Lieutenant Junior Grade

Caption...
    Snnniiiifffffff. Man that's some good blo...

16. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Easy.

17. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As someone else had suggested elsewhere, perhaps -in this Universe- Starfleet has acquired some Time Lord technology! :)

18. throwback

Ugh.

I was not being sarcastic in my question. (I am incapable of being sarcastic.) I was asking a fact finding question. I have read threads on this site where fans attempted to reconstruct the layout of the older ships, especially the Enterprise, using what was given. I was thinking that my question would lead to this discussion.

As for the weapons bay thing, maybe, I should have been clearer. The weapons bay is on either side of the warp reactor core.On the old Enterprise, the warp reactor core is several decks down from the torpedo bays.

19. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

The REACTOR is, yes. But the intermix chamber is little more than a thin bulkhead away from both the torpedo tubes and their magazines at any given time. The torpedo bay of Enterprise-A is only one deck away from the main engine room.

More to the point, we're not entirely sure where the engine room on the JJ Enterprise actually is, or where the weapons bay is for tat matter. I actually had a thought this morning that the side-mounted torpedo tubes might actually be in or around the location of those big windows that, on the TMP ship, would otherwise by the botanical garden (why would you stick a botanical garden next door to the reactor room?) That would mean the weapons bay on this ship is probably a couple of decks below and somewhat forward of the warp core.

20. Locutus of Bored

King Daniel made this helpful graphic of the Enteprise layout:

[​IMG]