Cardassian regional clothing--the ruviyal of Nevot

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Nerys Ghemor, Mar 27, 2009.

1. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Didn't Mila wear a robe?

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought I remembered her wearing a dress--but then, it's been awhile since I saw those eps.

3. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    It's a dress, I just saw 'Dogs of War' yesterday. DAMN YOU REVOK AND BROCA! I mean it was a good episode *coughs*

4. Nerys Ghemor

OK...here's the last WIP you'll see before I do the face and hair. That'll be the hardest part, so I'm stopping tonight. I'm going to take it VERY slow with this next section because faces are such delicate work, but I do expect to be finished over the weekend. I wanted to make sure I got a scan of the complete outfit to show you, just in case I manage to frak up severely!

[​IMG]

5. Nerys Ghemor

And here he is...the final version!!! [​IMG]

He's not perfect, but I am very pleased with what I've done here.

I had to take a photo because the scanner was chewing up the final version too badly. Here you can actually see the grey of the paper I was using--so this is more true to the original than any of the WIPs. Enjoy, and thanks for all of the comments! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I. Love. It.

!!!!!!!

The colour choices are awesome, the shading is great... I think I'm going have to kidnap you if I ever need a story board artist for a film...

And it... looks right. It's practical, yet simple, the person can still function. Do the colours mean anything? I always imagine the Oralians wearing earth tones...

You're right, Broca isn't cool enough for this. ;)

7. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks!! :) It's very good to know you think someone could function while wearing this. In "The Exile," anyway, Ensign Mendral wears these sorts of outfits when he's off-duty, and even to sleep in (though the ruviyal isn't actually sleepwear in Nevot)...just in case he gets called to the bridge in the middle of the night. After all, it would sure be embarrassing to show up in boxers, or even cartoon-print PJs! ;)

Broca's not even cool enough to let his hair down like Ensign Mendral is. :p

I'm not sure if the colors mean anything or not--I don't know quite enough about regional history yet to know if these mean something in Nevotda tradition or if it's simply a matter of fashion and personal taste.

(The Oralians, BTW, apparently went for pastels--or at least their clerics did. I just wish James Swallow had said what color pastels they wore! Personally...I imagine the Cardassian society in Ensign Mendral's universe as being pretty free in what people wore, as long as it stayed within bounds of decency.)

8. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Very nice... you did a great job. Keep them coming! :)

9. Thor Damar

Agreed, I'm really enjoying the level of detail and thought given to your Cardassians Nerys Ghemor. You could give AJR a run for his money!

10. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks for looking, guys! :)

AJR, of course, inspired a fair amount of what I do. Some of my stuff is my own--but some things, like the Oralian Way concept, are definitely his.

11. Thor Damar

I have to say that the Oralian Way aspect was one of the best things to happen for the Cardassians. It changed them from Fascists in Space to a well rounded civilization IMO.

The other thing that really made the Cardassians my firm favorites is the story arc of Corat Damar, to take a man from thug to Revolutionary ending up as an heroic martyr for Cardassian freedom was magnificent brilliance on the part of the writers and directors of DS9 and of course Casey Brigg's acting.

Which is why I love the new avatar Nerys Ghemor, it's a fitting tribute to the great man!

12. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks! :)

There'd been hints that the Cardassians were religious in their past--"Chain of Command" established that. But AJR was the first one to actually let us see it...and for that he gets the credit. :)

The particular universe this character comes from, though, is one where the Oralian Way never fell. (Unfortunately, the Bajorans invaded Cardassia, so things weren't all that great in THAT respect. :( )