Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't like modern sitcoms. Haven'tfound one I liked since The Cosby Show, except, on occasion, when The Big Bang Theory makes me chuckle...a little.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

You don't know what you're missing. Arrested Development is so much better and more sophisticated than the overwhelming majority of sitcoms.

And especially better than The Big Bang Theory.

3. TJ Sinclair

Honestly, I find shows like Chuck, Psych, Eureka and the classic Remember WENN, all essentially dramadies, far funnier than any comedy today, on film or TV.

4. Sci

You should give Arrested Development a try. It is, frankly, both smarter and funnier than any of those.

5. TJ Sinclair

Who's the current favorite for T'Ryssa Chen? Lucy Liu? Or is there someone else?

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Lucy Liu is a very poor choice. I like her, but she's totally wrong for the character in age, appearance, and personality.

The best suggestion I've seen in this thread is for a Hong Kong actress named Charlene Choi. Dave Mack recently suggested Kristin Kreuk, who might be able to pull it off, but she's my choice for Counselor T'Lana from the first few post-NEM TNG novels.

It occurs to me that Maurissa Tancharoen could work as Trys, if one were flexible about the character's height.

7. TJ Sinclair

Well, I was thinking of her more in the Lucky Number Sleven days than now in Elementary, but okay...

Way more elfin than I pictured Chen, but I suppose I should revise my mental image...

Personally, I don't think Kristin Kreuk could convincingly play a vegetable. I'd rather have ice-picks shoved into my pupils than imagine her in anything, let alone actually watch something she's in. Considering T'Lana's fate, I might make an exception, though. Still, the vibe I got from T'Lana was more someone like Diane Venora.

Not familiar with her at all, but she's pretty close to how I was picturing Trys.

8. Christopher

Even at the right age, she would've been wrong in other respects.

Okay, now I'm confused, since Tancharoen is extremely elfin.

9. TJ Sinclair

I guess we have differing perspectives on "elfin." I think of a round, cherubic, "cutesy" face, like Choi's (or Nicole de Boer's). If anything, Maurissa here looks more "Elvish," as in Tolkien's elves, with a longer, more angular, and very ethereal face.

10. TJ Sinclair

And while I'm thinking of it, here's some reverse casting options...

Sean Murray
    Taraji P. Henson
    Eddie McClintock
    Andre Braugher

All actors I'd love to see in Trek, even if just fantasy lit casting. Any thoughts? Maybe Andrea M'Benga for Henson?

11. Christopher

I'm thinking more of the whole physique, not just the face. To me, "elfin" connotes a small, dainty build, and Tancharoen is rather tiny.

12. Sci

For my money, Tancharoen has a lot of the kind of spunk and attitude I tend to associate with Trys.

13. Lee Son of Pete

Lee Son of Pete Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For a few years in the '90s Helen Mirren was renowned for getting naked in everything she was in. That'd be quite a Trek story if she played Bacco.

14. TJ Sinclair

"Scandal in the Palais de la Concorde! Next time on Illuminating the City of Light..."

15. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

/\Throw in a guest appearance by Aneta Smrhova.(I'm still giggling about that one).:rommie:

16. TJ Sinclair

Not that I want to recast this one, but just given how much he's been used in the novels of late... is there anyone who could fill in as Tomalak? No one could ever replace Andreas Katsulas, and I would never even consider recasting G'Kar, but Tomalak isn't quite as iconic, and someone might be able to take over the role...

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As who?

Tuvok's father, perhaps...

18. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

If I am not mistaken, I think Bacco was written with Kathy Bates in mind and even if I am incorrect, Kathy Bates is the perfect choice for Bacco.

19. Christopher

No, the first couple of times Bates was suggested in this thread, Keith said she wouldn't have been his first choice, but she could do the role justice. So he definitely didn't have her in mind. Keith has also said earlier in this thread that the physical and verbal template, and namesake, for Nan Bacco was his great-grandmother.

20. TJ Sinclair

There's not a single thing about Bacco that I would ever associate with Kathy Bates...