La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

If handled correctly and produced correctly (for example, as a BoD disk) yes.

For the record, is this another cheap shot at me via my kitbashing?

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Apologies if I missed it previously, but what, then, would you consider a reasonable price to be, and what basis would you use to determine such a price? I'm used to CDs costing at least $10, so that would make $150 reasonable...and that's using a minimum calculation.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Economics of scale. This is a set that will only sell a few thousand copies as not a lot of people are clamoring for music to a fifty year old TV show.

4. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Werent the previously released discs all re-recordings except for the CAGE and Where No Man discs???

-Chris

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I've collected soundtrack LPs and CDs all my adult life and I have no idea what a BoD disk is.

Do you mean like an "on demand" availability? I don't think I'd call that a "commercial" release. Because if you do that, my experience with "books on demand" is that they are always considerably more expensive than the same thing in MMPB. Plus you'd pay postage per disk as you ordered them.

"Handled correctly"? I trust La-La Land to handle the set like all the others they've handled correctly, and successfully.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, all of the GNP Crescendo releases of TOS scores were from the original recordings -- Volume 1 with the two pilots, Volume 2 containing "The Doomsday Machine" and "Amok Time," Volume 3 containing "Shore Leave" and "The Naked Time," and the TOS portions of the two Best of Star Trek albums -- Volume 1 containing the main title and a "Trouble With Tribbles" suite, and Vol. 2 containing a different main title arrangement by Fred Steiner (actually I think it was the end title version) plus suites from "The Corbomite Maneuver," "Balance of Terror," and "What are Little Girls Made Of," plus a "lounge mix" of the main title which was used as source music in a couple of episodes.

Only the two Varese Sarabande releases conducted by Fred Steiner and the two Label X releases conducted by Tony Bremner are re-recordings -- although there are probably a few TOS tracks on the SF-themed albums the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra released back in the '80s/'90s.

7. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Woohoo! "The Enemy Within" and (all of) "The Corbomite Maneuver" on CD! Can't wait for this release!

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The standard price for a CD from the soundtrack labels is $19.99. They're smaller, independent outfits catering to a niche audience and that dictates the price. And I've only seen $10 CDs from internet retailers or in used bins - but almost never do I see titles from the small labels going that low unless they had to clear inventory.

The difference in price preception here is marked by the two targets: Star Trek Only fans and film score fans (there are plenty of Trek/Score fans, but I put them under the score banner in this case). Film score fans are mostly okay with the price, or at least understand it, even if they can't afford it. The general attutude of those who can't afford it is "great set and it's reasonble, but still too rich for me." Star Trek Only fans think it's too much money for the music and are upset either at the label or Paramount for price gouging and taking advantage of fans. This couldn't be more wrong.

As a person who loves film scores and have been buying them most of my life, I'm more than aware and used to the price requirements to get these things done and out to the public. It's either $200+ or it ain't coming out. They're not aiming for the casual fan who knows the Amok Time fight music and thinks everything else is recycled material. This set will no doubt sell well, which would be a rarity, since box sets of this size rarely turn a profit for the labels. It's a risk and sometimes they take a bath. Will they at least break even? Hopefully yes. I'm hoping they make a big chunk o'profit, because that makes future releases possible.

Sure, it would be easier for the consumer if they split them up and allowed folks to pick and choose. But God forbid set 2 doesn't do well. Set 3's release would be in danger. No thanks, I'd rather have the high price tag I have to save for, because then I am secure in the knowledge that everything is released.

But that's just me.

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

No. GNP also released other soundtracks for TOS that were not re-recordings. They've released a CD for "Shore Leave / The Naked Now" and "The Doomsday Machine / Amok Time".

10. Ssosmcin

Really looking forward to the much improved sound quality of the pilots and others. I'm usually very patient when waiting for something, but November is gonna take its time getting here...

11. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it just me or did the music sound a lot clearer even in the YouTube video?

$200 just for the "Risk is Our Business" music? Ok, but only if it comes with 18 hours of extras. :)

12. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

It's not just you. Those tracks all came from our current CD masters.

Neil

13. Ssosmcin

It's gonna be great watching the Phase 2 episodes and not going nuts because someone over there had unreleased music I wanted. :-)

14. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Yes. It looks like our corner on the market is about to dry up.

By the way: you can hear the George Duning "Kirk Philosophy" musical cue ("We're on a thousand planets and spreading out"/"risk is our business"/"you could feel the wind at your back") in our latest "Going Boldly" vignette.

15. Indysolo

You might even get some things you never had before.

Neil

16. Tallguy

I suspected as much. I was just as amazed when I heard the new TMP tracks. I thought "There's no way they can be THAT much clearer! Is there?"

So when you guys did that video did you intentionally sprinkle in a few of the "grails" of unreleased Star Trek music? Just to drive us crazy (and get our money)? :)

It's alarming that I had pretty much the same thought.

17. Tallguy

And don't think I didn't notice. I have a Pavlovian response to that cue.

18. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I hear ya, man.

it's that same tingle i get up and down my spine whenever I hear the words "Stiff man puttin' my mind in jail...."

19. Indysolo

What would be the point of making a video announcing a box set of unreleased music only to score it with music you already have? :)

Neil

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the unreleased music is the part I'm looking forward to the most.

Well, actually, I'm looking forward to all of it, but it's the stuff I've never heard before that has me interested right now.