Nimoy, Quinto - Spock Comparison

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by VeryCherry, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. :techman:

2. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, me, I just hope they can give the right feel in the way they ACT, that's all.

Hair and looks aren't hugely important to me.

3. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two reasons why this doesnt work...

1: As said, Nimoys makeup was almost, at any given time, different in every differnt movie/season of Trek. The ears changed as often as Shatners hair. The eyebrows changed etc...

and 2: THEY. ARE. DIFFERENT. PEOPLE.

4. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

As do I. I can’t imagine anyone else playing young Spock now. Quinto in costume looks like a young Leonard Nimoy/Spock to me (or at least closely related).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  5. btflash

btflash Captain Captain

but thats just it. he "has " hair.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
  6. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think I said that.

7. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

They do look quite different, but personally I don't think its so bad. What I'm much more concerned about is the voice. Leonard Nimoy's voice is a rich authoritative baritone with a lot of distinct character. Quinto's voice by comparison is utterly pedestrian. He sounds about as interesting as your average Joe from next door.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Fixed now.

9. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, that is much more valid concern. Look-wise Quinto is rather good choice. I hate that stupid mouth a little open expression he seems to have in almost every picture, though.

10. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

or given him hazel contacts! ;)

seriously, I don't see it. I think both Pine and Quinto are perfectly cast. by the way, people do look and sound "boyish" when they're younger, in case we haven't noticed! :lol:

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's a better physical match than any of the other actors cast in the movie - much better, in fact. For the others, it's going to take more suspension of disbelief.

And a LOT of it will be in the acting - comparing still photos is pointless. These are actors, not mannequins. Quinto's job is to convince us he is Spock, regardless of his looks. In his case, his looks give him a lot of help, but he's still got to pull it off via talent.

Which is another way of saying, why don't we just wait to see the movie before jumping all over things, oh hell, who am I kidding? :rommie:

And Quinto is a close enough match that I was on this very BBS, promoting him as a great candidate for a young Spock, before I even knew there was a prequel movie in the works. Maybe I'm psychic, but my inability to pick winning lottery numbers tells me otherwise. The only other conclusion is that, yes, Quinto is a positively eerie match for Nimoy.

12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See, that's something I'm not so sure of...

13. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

for people who don't think Quinto or Pine (or anyone else, for that matter) aren't good matches for Spock and Kirk, I urge you to watch Oliver Stone's Nixon (in which Anthony Hopkins plays the title role). it's all in the acting and, at this point, I'm spending my time hoping that Pine and Quinto do well on that score more than anything else.

14. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

You would compare Quinto or Pine to Anthony Hopkins? Is this a joke? Anthony Hopkins is a classically trained, acadamy award winning actor who plays in a very different league to these two newbies and always has done. To my knowledge neither Quinto nor Pine have ever really played a demanding or distinguishing role in their life. They are totally untested. Some people gush over these actors as if they were the bees knees. However, I just cannot see what's so special about them? For crying out loud, they could have had Matt Damon for Kirk. An opportunity they tossed out the window. For what? Because he's a few years older than when Kirk first made captain? Ludicrous. :rolleyes:

15. Icy_Penguigo

Icy_Penguigo Captain Captain

I think, physically, Quinto works just fine as Spock. In fact, as far as looks go, he is an inspired choice.

Acting is a different matter entirely though. One of the great things about Nimoy as Spock is that he always totally sold the role. Even in the most silly and ridiculuous episodes, Spock was consistent. He was a rock. He reacted to every situation in the way that the most composed and dignified Vulcan would. Nimoy was a fucking incredible artist, I don't care what anyone says.

I think the new movie's success(in the mind of me, FWIW) depends far more on Quinto's performance than anyone else in the cast. I sincerely hope he's up to the challenge.

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All this talk about how inaccurate Quinto is as Nimoy, and yet no one has mentioned the precedence of how this guy doesn't look like this guy.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Here's Nimoy at about 21 years old, about the same as Quinto was when the movie was being made. Not 100% on the exact year of the second pic.

[​IMG][​IMG]

They both got weird lookin' ears even before the makeup.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know i have a feeling that if a clone of the young Nimoy as seen below was cast in the place of Quinto, there would be lots of whining about how he looks wrong for the part and not much like the serious, dignified with authoritative voice Spock we know. :lol:

19. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I believe you totally missed the point intranee was making.:bolian:

Intranee, as far as i understood, was not comparing Quinto with Hopkins acting wise. Not even close.

The point was that Hopkins' appearance match with the real Nixon was irrelevant because he managed through his acting to nail the part and make any superficial inaccuracies irrelevant.

In the same manner, any sort of appearance dissimilarities of Quinto and Pine with the TOS stars will be rendered irrelevant, if they manage through their acting to convince us that they are Kirk and Spock or rather their young versions).

20. Lashmore

Lashmore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

....erm, he's comparing how Hopkins didn;t look exactly liek the role he was portraying, but was convincing through his acting of that role. He's simply saying that someone just eneds to act the role convincingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.