Why are there only two cities in the future? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by YellowSubmarine, May 26, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the Bond films did fairly well out of going to other locales.

2. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

To be fair, they are destroying those Western cities. I'm sure Asian fans would rather not see that happen to their cities in a movie (Godzilla did enough in Tokyo).

3. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

There's a grand total of fewer than five hours of film between the two flicks, so the fact that we've gotten three Earth locations ought to be good enough, really. Especially when, uh, one of the biggest complaints going into STID was that it's so Earth-centric!

4. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What, you think Communism is dead? Geez, the 23rd century is apparently nothin' but!

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You'd think that San Franciscans and Londoners would be proud that their cities survived Trek's WWIII intact. (I figure they had to - there's no way cities that big could be completely rebuilt from scratch in only 200 years.)

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

In case you were wondering if somebody got that I did.

7. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, Stuttgart

And Heilbronn in Sherlock Holmes II, for whatever reason...

8. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't get it...:confused:

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The role of Garak was played by Andrew Robinson, who much earlier in his career had played the Scorpio killer in Dirty Harry.

10. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Whatever befall some of the cities of Earth in the 21st century, it probably wasn't climate change. Florida looks fabulous in the mid-22nd century.

According to the latest calculations, our Florida will be flooded by the rising sea waters, and, by the mid-22nd century, what was a state will be an archipelago of crumbling buildings. Breakwaters aren't going to save Miami - it sits on a porous limestone foundation.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-the-city-of-miami-is-doomed-to-drown-20130620

11. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Well, we know that Buenos Aires, for example, was destroyed by the Bugs during the Arachnid War, so we have to scratch that.

Do they have Drop Suits in Star Trek 3, or not?

12. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

That's okay. The Miami Heat will STILL be NBA Champions!

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would Starfleet even be allowed to spread all across Earth? That's like letting the garrison just outside your city take over every bar, hotel and bank by maintaining a block-by-block presence.

Sacrificing just one city apparently completely to the military is probably plenty enough.

OTOH, the Admiralty holding a secret meeting after an attack is a rather unlikely prospect. These are supposed to be the people who defend the universe; in case of an attack, they should be dressing in their showiest uniforms and parading the streets. The civilian politicians might be shuffled to some safe house at the outskirts of Ulan Bator, where their decisions will not distract Adm. Marcus from ruling with his iron grip.

Timo Saloniemi

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Has Paris been destroyed in Trek yet ?

It has in everything else...

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well Paris is one of the more popular cities to destroy. Along with places like New York, London and Tokyo. But I guess it comes down to a story telling point of view. Certain cities are more regonised globally.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The tower falling is nicely iconic...

17. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I guess it's like how time travel always funnels them to one country.

18. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

And there's that. It's worse than that even – the Ancient Greeks were aliens, the Romans were aliens, the Native Americans were aliens and we even got Nazi Germans who were aliens. It's like those people and places never existed on planet Earth. To make several stories set in Ancient Greek setting, yet never ever visit the actual Ancient Greece down here, keeping it all in US-era North America? That's just not right.

Then again, holodeck Ireland was enough of an embarrassment, so one can be kinda glad they don't exist in Star Trek. And I doubt anyone would be doing this kind of time travel Trek stories any time soon, so whatever.

Besides, explaining why they spoke English in 16th century China would be even more difficult than explaining why aliens all over the galaxy speak English. They already confused that poor Japanese fellow enough with having Amelia Earhart speak perfect Japanese. I wonder, does the universal translator work for lip readers? I've been forever confused by how not only I hear English, but I see their lips move in English. And if they didn't, it would be a dead giveaway.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

And even then they couldn't find an actor who hadn't been in Doctor Who to be in London.