THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking that if the elves were in the first movie we would have seen them in a trailer by now.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Does it really matter if they don't show up for the third movie? It's not as if there are potential further installments that are contingent upon its success; the third film is pretty much the end of the road for this adaptation of Middle Earth, no?

3. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it depends on the focus of the narrative.

Is it lets go out and kill the dragon? Or is it lets reclaim our homeland?

Now obviously Smaug is tied to both, but at least with the material we have been shown so far, there is a real push not to just kill the dragon and get the gold, but to reclaim Erebor, and to get their home back.

If the first movie and realy lays down that aspect, teh history of Erebor, teh pride of the Dwarves, ect. And we are shown that Smaug isn't the only obstacle just one of them for that to occur, then I see no issue with Smaug meeting his end in the 2nd film. Its not like its really tied that much tot eh actions of Bilbo or the Dwarves, except indirectly.

4. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We see plenty of them. Just not the ones from a certain area of Middle Earth.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, that makes sense and I can see that being a little less anticlimactic as discussed earlier. That being said this brings back my question about how much of Gandalf's side adventures we see in the first film. The trailer has shown several sequences of Gandalf at Dol Guldur and I'm guessing now this is a flashback of Gandalf's discovery of Thráin II.

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Yeah, a post-Smaug film would certainly feel anti-climactic, even if ...

This is a good point and certainly fits the material we've shown thus far. It could definitely work, however, how does the end of Gandalf's business at Dol Guldur fit in? Do you also put that in Film 2?

If you put it at the beginning of Film 3, there's some odd timing issues the movies will have to play around with (not that Jackson hasn't done that with LOTR). In the book, the White Council finishes with Dol Guldur just about at the end of Barrels out of Bond, giving him a chance to "rejoin" the Company at the opportune moment. If PJ wants to play around with timing, he can move the White Council to some point just before Smaug's demise. Film 2 would still have it a natural climactic moment and leave the biggest narrative thread unresolved.

At least, that's what I hope he does. :techman:

7. The Nth Doctor

I know this is far off, but having just finished my reread of The Hobbit this evening, there's one moment (whether it's in the second or third film) that I hope Peter Jackson preserves: After Bilbo verbally jousts with Smaug and barely escapes, he sits in hiding with the dwarves and anxiously begs them to shut the secret door despite the silence. Moments after Thorin finally relents, Smaug's fiery fury rains upon them out of nowhere. I especially hope that PJ doesn't show Smaug quietly flying out of the mountain and stealthy searches for the Company. I want the audience to feel the same anxiety that Bilbo feels about the eerie silence.

This scene, along with the aforementioned verbal joust and "Riddles in the Dark," has become one of my favorite scenes in the entire book.

8. Greylock Crescent

I love how Tolkien helps readers empathize with snails in that scene (IIRC). Kinda awesome, actually.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point. I should have been more specific and said Mirkwood Elves.

10. The Nth Doctor

I just read an article in the Stars & Stripes about Peter Jackson expanding the book into three films and one piece of information stood out: PJ has given Gollum more to do beyond his short appearance. The article doesn't go into details but it seems to suggest we'll see his departure from the Misty Mountains and beyond.

I don't know if this is really necessary but I'm willing to trust PJ what he'll do.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

None of it is necessary, but it sounds like the kind of move you'd want to make in order to expand the story and to get rid of its episodic nature: characters like Gollum, Beorn, Elrond, Thranduil could all be used throughout the story.

12. The Nth Doctor

Fair point. Actually, I was surprised by how much Thranduil is in The Hobbit while I was rereading it (not so much dialogue, but presence in the story) but there's definitely room for expansion.

13. Greylock Crescent

Yeah that whole section in Mirkwood kinda gets glossed over quickly - but there's plenty of room to expand on what Thranduil is doing. As for Gollum, it makes sense to utilize him in more than one section of the story. There's a danger of over doing it, I suppose, but I'll wait until I see how he's used before passing judgment.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I wouldn't want to overdo it either. Andy Serkis did such a great job in the LOTR that he deserves more screentime in the Hobbit. However, I don't think there's any part in the story for him.

15. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

He could follow the Dwarves around, trying to get his ring back and failing again and again, sometimes comically, sometimes tragically. I think it would work really well.

16. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Embargo gets lifted tonight at 9pm PST.

This guy apparently is with the Writers Guild, so I guess he isn't on a embargo. Full review:

http://whichwayisawesome.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-hobbit-review.html

10/10

17. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

My daughter was all excited about going to see it until I pointed out that it's the first of 3 films. I've told several excited people this and all with the same result. Disgust.

18. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

With what?

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Is your daughter going to not see it now because of this?

20. Greylock Crescent

Well, you see, five Middle-Earth movies with lingering closeups, sappy music, and plodding plots is okay, but six?

[​IMG]