JMS Takes Over For Superman and Wonder Woman in July!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Mar 9, 2010.

1. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

One of the more annoying things about recent Wonder Woman is that in the aftermath of Infinite Crisis and 52 DC started out by doing a makeover that made the comic into a somewhat updated take on the WW TV series of the 1970s. I liked that approach, with WW becoming Diana Prince, secret agent for her day job. There was even a tantalizing plot thread that suggested that the SHIELD-like organization she was working with might have forced her to kill people during the course of missions which would have made an interesting counterpoint to the whole Maxwell Lord neck-breaking business.

All this lasted about, what, 3 issues and then she got tied up with lengthy mythology-related plotlines, and talking apes and all sorts of stuff ... talk about losing focus!

I'd love to see JMS reel things back to what I thought was a rather promising story arc. Heck, I'll even go one step further and add it might be the right time to try a new go at the non-powered "Diana Prince, Wonder Woman" concept that was so wildly ridiculed, despite being rather intriguing (in idea, if not in execution), back in the 70s.

Tsk. Everyone knows Jimmy Olsen is "Superman's Pal"!

Alex

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

God no. The sooner everything Heinberg forced on the series is behind us, the better, including the waste of time that is "Diana Prince". One of the best things Simone did was burn that whole setup to the ground, though as yet she's still keeping up the pretence of a false identity for whatever reason.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So DC is going to use the faulty accounting method and pump Wonder Woman up to #600?

How much longer then till Flash and Green Lantern are given the combo-title recount treatment?

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With Wonder Woman, DC put the question to the fans. They had a postcard campaign. Didio said if they received 600 postcards supporting the change they would switch WW back to her original numbering and give her her 600th issue. I believe they got about 800 cards.

I kind of like what they've been doing with Adventure Comics with both the current volume's number and the uninterrupted "classic" number shown.

5. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heinberg wasn't even born yet when Wonder Woman's Diana Prince was created, in 1942. It's always been an integral part of the character and it makes fighting Nazi spies a hell of a lot easier.

Next thing you'll want to get rid of all the lesbian BDSM.

6. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

This does not sound good. I will wait for some people's reviews on this before I even go near it. (ahem..Greg???)

Rob

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

No, it hasn't. It was ditched in the post-Crisis reboot in 1987, and she went without from then until 2006, quite fine, because it's completely unnecessary to the character and, in particular, totally at odds with the characterization that was developed from George Perez onward. It was brought back because of pointless nostalgia.

8. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Yep, and the reason? Wonder Woman, you are not human enough, you do not understand people. (Total bullshit but still.) So, you must take on a human secret identity to get in touch with your humanity, to understand average humans. And what was the job she was given "to get in touch with average normal humans"? ...secret agent... in a white formfitting jumpsuit...

Yeah, makes total sense there. :wtf:

9. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Bring back Steve Engleheart!!!

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Pointless Nostalgia" Isn't that DCs motto?

11. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seems like it these days. What is it with DC and trying to force 30-40 year old elements of the characters into the modern versions. Like "Oh the Silver Age was so awesome. Didja know Superman could move entire planets!"

That's WHY JOHN BYRNE WAS HIRED TO REBOOT HIM. They're going to need ANOTHER frakking reboot soon and guess what... people will be begging for the Post-Crisis version again! Mark me words.

12. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Byrne's SUPERMAN reboot. Superman really had to work his powers to the limit. He struggled and strained at times to defeat villains and lift objects. I'm not sure DC had a deliberate plan to bring his powers up to the godlike pre-Crisis levels. It happened gradually, without much notice. I think Superman's increasing strength in the last decade or so is the consequence of big-ticket writers (like Grant Morrison) taking more and more liberties (see All-Star Superman), with editors just signing off on everything.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

All Star Superman admittedly takes place in a different continuity. Morrison stated this from the start when he started it, almost a Silver Age Superman take. I enjoyed Bryne's reboot of Superman as well. Until Geoff Johns came aboard Action Comics I hadn't bought a comic since the Death and Return storyline. Prior to that I had nearly all of Bryne's run up to the coming of Doomsday. It was the Death of Clark Kent storyline that finally did me in on collecting Superman.

14. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Superman gained a major power up after Infinite Crisis. Before that he remained mostly like the Byrne version.

15. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

At this point its kind of absurd to call anything the "Modern Versions" . The Byrne reboot of Superman and Perez reboot of Wonder Woman were nearly 25 years ago! With all attempts of "updating" them over the last decade to bring in elements from 40 to 50 years ago!!!! Which really muddies things for film adaptations.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  16. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

hmm...I guess its time to introdcue Earth 6!

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's been taken., twice.