So... Is that it for hopes of remastered TNG?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by gastrof, Oct 13, 2008.

1. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

We knew it was unlikely anyway. I think a different and more capable company could probably do it in less time, but we're still looking at a project over 5 years, and I just don't see it happening.

RAMA

3. Wolfslice

Wolfslice Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's for the better, TNG is fine just the way it is. We don't need them replacing all the tricorders with walkie talkies.

4. msbae

msbae Commodore

TNG does not need to be remastered.

5. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But the Next Generation tricorders were walkie talkies.

6. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean they won't replace Geordi's VISOR with Blu Blockers? :(

7. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I really could not get excited over redoing TNG effects. There are some dodgy things in the first season, but that's it. Waste of time.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they want to air it in HD, it does.

(Any time you see it on a HD channel now, it's not actually airing *in* HD.)

9. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG looks fine, to hell with HD. :)

10. FalTorPan

I hated the four-foot filming miniature of the Enterprise-D. Every shot featuring that bulked-up, over-textured model screams, "Toy!"

I think it would be fun to see the ship shots renovated to use something that more closely resembled the six-footer.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

there are a few shots, certain scenes where i think new effects could help. but overall TNG is fine as is.

12. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

:techman:

It is fine alright.
    Just not presentable in HD.

13. MrsPicard

MrsPicard Commander Red Shirt

I hope they will keep their hands off 'my' TNG. If not, I'll turn into a :klingon: . *lol*

I mean TNG is fine the way it is. No need for unnecessary re-mastering. *shakes fist* Leave it alone, I say! ;)

14. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

i hope it doesn't happen soon. >_< i still want my current tng dvd set to be the epitomy of the dvd collection. maybe some 10 years down the line or 5 when i've gotten full use of the regular dvds. sure i know the dvds have been out for a long time, but i hate it when they come out with something better soon after the "regular" ones are out.

15. smeos

smeos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like to see it done at some point in the future, but it's not exactly a high priority for me right now.

16. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Is there anything new there?

It's been known since TOS-R started that to do the same for TNG would require essentially all of the editing (which was also done on 480i video, not film) and visual post-production work to be redone, from the space effects to the phaser blasts to the science station screens (and the sound post-production too, if they wanted a 5.1 mix).

Given this huge amount of work, far greater than TOS-R (where they used edited prints and just spliced in/overlaid the new effects) AND the far greater number of episodes (176 vs. 80), it would cost a LOT more to do the same for TNG, and it's arguable whether they'd make the cash back in the length of time that "suits" tend to think in.

If whoever did it had it available to them, they'd almost certainly use the CGI model created for These Were The Voyages... for cost reasons.

And wasn't one of the problems with the 6ft model that it left no place for Ten Forward (which is meant to be the furthest forward point on the ship, at the very front of the saucer; and wasn't invented until S2)?

17. FalTorPan

Nah. The six-footer had windows at that location. The pattern just didn't match the windows of the set.

The Ten Forward set had windows like this:

narrow wide narrow (port)
    gap
    narrow wide narrow (center)
    gap
    narrow wide narrow (starboard)

(I'm ignoring the extra windows visible beyond the set's side walls.)

Contrast that with the six-footer's window arrangement, shown in detail in the first image of this page.

18. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

I'm not so much talking about the horizontal arrangement (although that's a factor), but about the fact that the rim is too narrow - it was designed to be one deck high in the 6ft model (see this post by Andrew Probert, the designer, with a scale sketch of how he wanted the rim to be). The 4ft model has a much thicker rim to more closely match the two-deck rim layout the set requires.

This article at Ex Astris Scientia has the comparison pictures of the models, focusing on the rim.

19. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Got that right Mrs. P :techman:

I love TNG the way it is...there is no need for re-mastering.

20. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Even if the VFX wouldn't need to be replaced, there would be need for remastering. ;)