IDW Trek comics plans for '08-'09

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Jul 26, 2008.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but I've seen the royalty statements on my Andromeda novel. And from what I understand, mine was the one that sold best (mainly by virtue of being first; it certainly wasn't because of my writing talent....). And that was released when the show was still on the air. I can't see there being enough of an audience for a comic book based on GRA to justify paying for a licensing deal....

2. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Hey Andrew, kudos to you and all at IDW; I've been enjoying the broad range of stories we're getting.

I just saw the great cover for the first issue of this - one might say it was an eXcellent homage...

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Bummer. But a guy can dream, right? Thanks for the insight, though.

4. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Indeed it is!

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tha's awsome. But that's just one of the alternate covers though, right? Any idea if or when we will see the others?

6. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Yeah, the blog says it's the variant. If we don't see it sooner, the normal cover for #1 should be revealed with the solicitations for November (which will be out before the end of the month).

7. Andrew Harris

Andrew Harris Writer Red Shirt

Hey, thanks much, James. I had originally conceived of the series as a Star Trek version of "Days of Future Past" (in theme, at least), and when IDW Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall asked me about possible cover ideas, this one immediately came to mind. I wasn't exactly sure if it was one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" kind of things, so I photoshopped a test sample to see how it would look. I sent it off to Chris, and he thought it was great, so he called up JK Woodward, who I had worked with on Peter David's Fallen Angel series but was also a huge Trek fan, and he absolutely nailed it.

It's amazing to me how close he came to the original mockup, and I think I might post both versions of the cover, along with the original X-Men #141 cover, so people can see how these sorts of things evolve. I think there also might be one small change coming in the final cover due to a slight editorial change in the story, so I'll wait for that before I put up all four versions.

8. Andrew Harris

Andrew Harris Writer Red Shirt

Actually, this came up when I was preparing publicity for John Byrne's Star Trek: Assignment Earth series. I asked John about what Trek crossover project he'd like to do, and he said The Questor Tapes.

Which is not to say it's ever going to happen--but if it did, it'd probably be Byrne that did it.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've always wanted to see a Gary Seven/Questor crossover myself. They basically have the same mission, after all. And I've always liked to imagine that The Questor Tapes took place in the Trek universe.

But unless CBS buys Universal, I don't see it happening. At least Greg Cox got to hint at it in Assignment: Eternity; Roberta mentions that she and Gary helped retrieve "the Quasar tapes" or something like that. And then there's the Emil Vaslovik pseudonym in Immortal Coil.