SKRS #1: Second Nature by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by David Mack, Jul 17, 2014.

?

Rate Second Nature.

1. Outstanding

15 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Above Average

31 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Average

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review. I really enjoyed this one! This series is off to a great start. I've started on book 2 now, and I'm loving the direction things are going. Can't wait for more Seekers!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

THey did make some changes to the edits over the years, for instance the Collectors Edition DVD shows flashes of the different conspirators when Valeris names them, but that wasn't on the original VHS version I used to have. Maybe Kirk's reaction was also added in somewhere after the theatrical release.

3. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Not that I was conscious of.

5. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

The subconscious ones are the best!

6. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

Something Captain Khatami said brings up a fair point raised by Stargate SG-1:

Why would the shields be at anything other than full power? :vulcan:

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If the weapons or other hazards being protected against are known to be mild enough for the shields to handle at reduced power, then that could allow saving power for when it might be needed later. Usually, though, the only times I can think of when shields haven't been at full power is when they've been damaged/weakened.

8. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

I'm referring to the fact that Captain Khatami ordered them to be at full power, with Klingons in the system, and a threatening alien artifact. Sounds like a totally superfluous order.

9. Christopher

Orders need to be clear and precise, so everything is understood and on the record. If they aren't made clear, then the person receiving the order won't necessarily make the same assumptions as the person giving them.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Really liked this. An excellent pick-up from Vanguard that isn't intimidated by its illustrious predecessor. In part, that confidence can be seen in the link to the Shedai with the Tomol. Sure, the Shedai are out of the picture but the idea their legacies remain is a good one, especially for this opening arc. Wouldn't want it brought up all the time but here it fits.

The Klingons, in their guise of adversaries, work well too and seeing Kang turn up is a plus.

As for the ending.... Well, it would have been an evil cliffhanger indeed had I not had the second book on hand....

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The first installment of a new series is always exciting. Second Nature was fun and enjoyable to read. I hope the rest of Seekers is as well-done.

What I liked:

• The Tomol are a fascinating species; their links to both the Preservers and the Shedai are nice tie-ins to both TOS and Vanguard.
    • Nimur reminds me of Jean Grey following her Dark Phoenix transformation: I hope she has a better end than her counterpart.
    • Terrell's crew reminds me of the early days of DS9, as everyone seems to be feeling one another out: Terrell offers a nice balance between giving orders and taking advice from one's crew; he's in charge, but everyone gets a vote, which works well on such a small ship.
    • Khatami and Stano seem like fascinating characters; I'm not sure what to make of the tension between them that surfaced near the story's end, but I'd imagine it's something that we'll see more of.
    • Kang. 'Nuff said.
    What I didn't like:

• Dastin: he's self-assured to the point of being cocky, and cocky gets you killed in outer space; I'm surprised Theriault didn't smack him at least twice.
    • Theriault reminds me of Ezri after she was joined; I'm not sure if she has the makings of a first-officer, though I'm willing to reserve final judgement until she's had time to grow into the role.
    --Sran

12. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quite late in joining this thread. *g*

I voted average because after having read the whole Vanguard-series in one go, Second Nature felt a bit simplistic in its straightforwardness (if that's a word *g*). I'm looking forward to how the dilemma of the Changed is going to be resolved because the people were essentially puppets (or even constructs of) for the Shedai and the Preservers from what I gather, and they shouldn't be held accountable for the Change itself. Of course, abandoning practically all morals by using their telekinesis is a different story. So, can there be one thing (the Change) without the other (acting without conscience or regard to other living beings)?

The other thing is that I can't really relate with the crew of the Sagittarius so far. They are a bunch of highly capable people - but somehow they lack depth (so far). Always having a witty phrase on your lips doesn't really tell me anything about what's making them tick. And Theriault... I don't know, but she really rubbed me wrong because she criticized (again with those one-liners) more than she actually showed any leadership qualities. And to think that I really liked her back in Reap the Whirlwind... I think that there's real potential in this crew (and I quite like Hesh and Sorak), though, once it gets a bit more 3-dimensional beyond being cool and brilliant.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  13. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I completed this novel the other day and on to the sequel. Over all it was an enjoyable read.

I don't want to sound nit picking, but to the authors, doesn't it take away the suspense using people you know appear in future events? In the case of this book, while I didn't know what would happen to other characters, I knew one would survive the calamity. So it kind of took away the suspense. I was left more with a mystery of how they were going to get out of that situation than fearing for their survival. Then again, it's just like the Series and movies. You usually know they won't kill of a lead character. Or if they do, the reset button isn't far behind.

14. Bibliomike

Bibliomike Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Other than Captain Terrell, I didn't know whether any of these characters would appear again. I thought they were all new (or newish... I gather some were from the Vanguard series). So I thought it worked all right.

15. Christopher

Right. As a rule, you know the characters won't die. The suspense comes from the suspension of disbelief -- the choice to play along with the conceit that the threat is real (just as you choose to play along with the conceit that the characters and situation are real). If the story is told well enough to draw you into it, then you can let yourself forget about the real-world knowledge that the characters will be back next week and just immerse yourself in the moment.

Besides, I've always found it far too reductive to treat the characters' life or death as the only possible source of suspense. Stories aren't just some tally of who lives to the end. They're about a lot more than that. And there are many things in a story that one can feel suspense about. What if the characters fail in their mission? What if they have to live with the knowledge that they failed to save others' lives? What if they suffer a career setback or screw up their relationship with a friend or lover? What if they're just really, really bummed out about failing? Basically, stories are about characters pursuing goals and facing obstacles in that pursuit. Suspense comes from the uncertainty over whether they will achieve their goals. Staying alive is a common goal in fiction, but it's hardly the only one. If the story gets you invested in the character's pursuit of a goal, if it gets you to identify with their need to achieve it, then you'll feel suspense as they risk failure, even if their goal is as simple as returning a library book on time. Because every one of us can identify with the fear of failure.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find a situation a lot more interesting if I know a character will survive. For me seeing the characters find a way out of a dangerous situation is lot more interesting than wondering if they're going to die.

17. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I am the same. When I watch Doctor Who I know he is not going to die but I still watch it. The entertainment value comes from watching him resolving the issues.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never understood the mentality of killing characters = quality storytelling. Besides, on TV shows I've noticed that whenever main or at least prominent get killed, it's almost always within five episodes of the premiere of finale, or the midseason arc with shows that do split seasons. The only exceptions are when there's a big "event episode." So generally, we go 90% of all TV shows knowing the main cast is safe.