Who would have had to quit their job to look after baby Miral?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, May 19, 2013.

?

Who requisitioned 7 years worth of maternity leave?

1. Tom?

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. B'Elanna?

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assuming both parents are still in whatever amount of hours passes as full time employment on Voyager I think this is way too much, and beyond the word babysitting and into the word nanny. I think it would be nice for Naomi to help out a few hours a week, especially as the experience of caring for something dependent on you is not something she's had and if she'd been on earth she would have had a puppy or something by now. It's good for her social development. But she's not going to be taking care of the baby 40+ hours a week.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, a holographic nanny can do the lion's share, but let's give Naomi a chance to earn some babysitting credits!

3. teacake

Yes I think it would be good for her development to spend time with the only person on the ship younger than herself!

I wonder if she has special socializing programs on the holodeck. It would be weird if Miral was the first baby she ever saw.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The age old argument about is there money in the Federation?

Even if there's no money in the Federation, Voyager's economy runs on replicator rations.

Hmmm?

They're communists, so even Suder locked in his room, or the Equinox 5 slave labour gets the same ration as Janeway.

Do the kids get the same replicator ration as the adults?

Baby Naomi, get's the same replicator ration as a full sized adult.

Note.

You don't pay for food in the mess.

You don't pay for your room or air.

You don't pay for holodeck time, but then again Holodeck time is probably rationed out evenly... Which means there just be a conversion table for holodeck time to raplicator rations to holodeck time.

Chakotay got Tom (squint) kicked off the ship for gambling with Replicator rations, yet even Janeway was gambling with replicator rations over the babies sex (due date?) by year seven.

So the black market is a gray area.

Childcare is one of the only few possible legal revenue streams on Voyager.

Before, I've always said that Sam Wildman and Neelix were doing it.

Sex.

But maybe hey weren't?

Maybe it's that everyone else on the ship didn't understand money and found that working for "money" was a little distatseful, and that they would, if they were going to look after the kid, rather volunteer their time for free, which they don't really feel like doing.

It's like when you look after your brothers kids.

It costs 40 to 80 dollars per head to look after them in an interesting meangful way, going somewhere fun, but you're a jerk if you don't foot the bill yourself, so you don't take them out as often as you should.

Neelix was the only person skeevy enough on board to take money from a baby.

5. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

They'd take turns.

6. teacake

^Madness!

7. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

It'd only be a problem for a year or two anyway if the baby grows at the same rate as Alexander.

8. Guy Gardener

It's a year or two for humans.

For a full blooded Klingon, It'd be months or maybe weeks before they're running and scaling the curtains.

Miral is 1/4 Klingon.

9. teacake

Just spent 5 minutes staring into space trying to decide if I'd prefer it if I was 1/4 Klingon.

Time to go outside.

10. Guy Gardener

To be 1/4 Klingon, either your Mummy or your Daddy would have had to have been half Klingon, or they were both 1/4 Klingon... Is it possible that one, or both your parents could open a tin of baked beans with their teeth, because if so, it's possible that already you might be a quarter Klingon.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  11. teacake

Father's method of baked bean tin opening: Marry much younger woman who devotedly opens all cans while setting himself up as an ebay mogul.

Father is obviously a Ferengi.

Mother's method of baked bean tin opening: Oh don't worry about me, I ate last week, if you'll just open the tin for me these baked beans will last me at least three days.. Family immediately takes her out to expensive dinner.

Mother is obviously a Ferengi.

sigh..

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  12. Guy Gardener

Was the nudity difficult?

13. teacake

I'm nude right now!

Well.. under my clothes. My layers of winter clothes.

14. Guy Gardener

It's almost impossible to be nude in this weather with how quickly the dusting of frost turns into a sheet of ice against the flesh.

15. teacake

When I move to Hawaii I shall be naked all the time. Naked breakfast, naked tv viewing, naked online shopping..

16. Guy Gardener

Hawaii is a state of mind.

I say if you're not allowed into America without a strip search, and so many of us are not, then you shouldn't have to be forced to put your clothes back on until after you leave the States for somewhere else more civilized.

17. teacake

I don't think they actually strip you unless the dogs start humping your leg. They just pat you all over your body.

18. Guy Gardener

It's a post 911 World.

Even white people are subject to random anal cavity searches.

19. teacake

I would fucking DIE.

Or probably punch someone and go to prison. Where there would be more searches :(

I just remembered that I was strip searched once in a foreign country. But I only had to take off my bra. It wasn't very traumatic.

20. Guy Gardener

These things are only traumatizing if you want them to be which is usually because your parents trained you to respond in such a way.

Fuck modesty.

But if they don't have someone with especially little hands, or a tool designed to ease the process, it doesn't seem like a useful perfunction of pain.

Oh and "time" is a factor.

10 minutes vs. 2 days?

Unless US Customs makes us sign a document that permits them to "possibly" strip search any of us dirty foreigners before we board some plane to America, otherwise they should pay for a return ticket home if we refuse to have our bunghole explored.