Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have always had prior knowledge of Star Wars movies. I saw the original trilogy for the first time when I was 10 years old in 1995 so thanks to hearing about them (primarily from Simpsons episodes, interestingly enough) I knew all the basics. In fact, I remember the first time I saw ANH being confused when Obi-Wan told Luke "A young pupil of mine, Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father." I sat there thinking "But I thought Darth Vader was his father?"

Let's face facts, the prequels didn't include anything particularly surprising, and fishing for spoilers online was an obvious necessity. And even if one didn't read spoilers, well, it was pretty obvious what had to happen. To quote a conversation about Episode 3 before its release "Is Mace Windu going to die?" "He kind of has to, doesn't he?"

Spoilers and Star Wars go hand in hand. The very idea of seeing a Star Wars movie where I have no idea of what is going to happen is not only frightening, it's obscene.

2. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You could always wait until 2033 to watch Episode VII. That would be the same amount of time between Star Wars originally coming out and you seeing it in 1995. I imagine by that time the J. J. Abrams shroud of secrecy will be lifted, and you will be able to spoil yourself to your heart's content before watching the film.

3. The Wormhole

You're missing the point: I would still have to wait to find out something about the movie.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That sounds like your problem, not Abrams'.

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that's what happening, though?

I'd assumed if Abrams is directing Star Wars he's doing what Bryan Singer did with the X-Men franchise. That's really my concern at this point - how it impacts the Trek franchise.

6. The Wormhole

Brett Ratner will direct Trek XIII. Hey, it can't be any worse than XI.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

This is fantastic news. He'll do a great job. The runner-up was apparently Ben Affleck who would have also done a great, great job.

8. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

And with that line, you've lost me completely.

9. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Abrams? Couldn't they have handed it to someone who'll do less damage, like Uwe Boll?

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Whereas I literally camped out on the sidewalks outside the UA 150 theater in Seattle to see both EMPIRE and JEDI on their opening nights. So, to me, going in blind is not obscene; it's the way things always used to be.

And, yes, I'm old enough to remember when there wasn't an internet posting spoilers on-line everyday. All we had was STARLOG magazine . . . . :)

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

lame hyperbole is lame

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're missing the really important implication of all of this:

Simon Pegg in a Star Wars movie.

God forbid Abrams make Star Wars into something people want to see, again. ;)

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
  14. I'm optimistic about this movie mainly because they hired Arndt first, and had him do a detailed story treatment (maybe even a script) before they hired a director. That tells me they're just looking for someone who can do dynamic visuals, more of a hired gun, rather than a director who's going to help craft the story itself.

That tells me they're doing it the right way. Story first. Then hire a well known geek director who loves Star Wars. JJ isn't producing, he isn't making it "his" story. He's just stepping in to direct. Works for me.

15. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

How will he ever lobotomize so many people?

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No reason it shouldn't be.

Abrams isn't being brought in by Disney to take over, revamp and manage Star Wars, as Paramount has done with Star Trek. He's being hired to direct a movie.

17. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT... you can complain about many things in the movie, but this always puzzled me.

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The Butthurt is strong in this thread!
    I'm glad he's being considered as director of Ep VII. Hopefully he'll do the same treatment he did to Star Trek: to get rid of the annoying fanbois.

19. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

^^^
    A-fuckin-men!

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, now he's thrown away Star Trek like the abused, uncared for whore it was to him and gets to make the movie he's obviously been actually wanting to make. Meanwhile. maybe we'll get a director that actually gives a fuck about Trek for NuTrek III.

Everybody wins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.