Never seen TOS scenes, but would've been nice...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LavianoTS386

LavianoTS386 Admiral Admiral

Re: Never seen TOS scenes...

I like the composite of the 1701 display, 91' era?

I have to disagree with the "Expanded-widescreen" unless they're stretched, there's nothing expanded about it.

The cover reminds me of CED-RCA Videodisc packaging of the early 80's.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Thats the problem--I don't know who it is. I did find the pic as a live-action render of Thelin from "Yeateryear," but I don't know who created it originally. As far as the actor, I suspect whoever made the image revamped one of the background characters. The one who played Tal is quite possible now that I look at it. It may or may not also be the same person who played Kriton, the Elaasian bodyguard in "Elaan Of Troyius." I can tell that they may not have reversed the image before pasting the head on the neck because the shadow on the neck is going the wrong way in relation to the face (I've tried to obscure that error some). But in all honesty I don't know who it is.

3. Intelligence

Intelligence Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

cited from Curt Danhauser's Yesteryear

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Yes, thats the original image I found. The shadows on the head don't match the shadows on the body and I don't know who did the original render.

I will say that although Thelin was not the First Officer in TOS' original timeline I've always wondered if Thelin could still exist in some other capacity in the original continuity.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks. The blurb about the 'expanded widescreen format' is simply wishful thinking on my part. There are only 3 images that I 'pulled the camera back' to show a larger view of the scene, but you can't really see that in the tiny montage: the jungle scene in 'The Apple', the portal and ancient ruins of 'City On The Edge of Forever'. I also created a widescreen shot of Kirk on the bridge, but didn't include it in the poster. As for the 1701 image, I swiped it from somehwhere. I like it because it didn't look super clean and computer generated, but had more detail believability than any of TOS images IMO.

6. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's something I whipped up. The TOS Enterprise in drydock, beginning the first stages of its refit to become the TMP Enterprise. I suppose this could be a shot from the series finale and would lead into the movies?

[​IMG]

7. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Take a wild guess. :rolleyes:

8. LavianoTS386

LavianoTS386 Admiral Admiral

I'm gunna go blind! :eek:

9. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, sorry. Apparently, drydock had its high-beams on that day :)

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Could someone send or post some good quality images of engineering deck? I've been wanting to do some more 'enhancements' but can't find good images. Thanks in advance...

11. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I made this a while ago as a joke after that terrible "Stigma" episode of ENT. It's basically what a TOS revision might be like if mind-melds still gave you incurable diseases by TOS time...

Here's a link, since I can't seem to ever get images to work...

the Mind-meld condom (or "mel-dom")

12. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: TOS movie what if...

That looks really good. I could see uniforms like that, and even ones with the old TOS departmantal colors. BUt I want to know how did you change the jacket colors and still keep the texture of the cloth? I had an idea for making a version of the uniforms based on current US Naval uniforms where Kirk's uniform would be solid white and Spock's jacket would be Navy Blue. Or maybe a WWII kind of thing with a kaki turtleneck and a Brown Jacket and pants.

13. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Well, one can simply change the hue. I use Corel paint and I can do the same thing in a couple of minutes.

here is what I made with that picture past 10 minutes:

http://img58.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/blue.jpg

:D Good, no? I think it could pass a movie era captain's jacket

14. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that i like, the white collars looks a lot better than the black necks. Even better as its the proper colour of the captains uniform as bill theiss intended. ;)

15. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now, dont ask me what happened there, i quoted a url, and the image has displayed.

Odd :confused:

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Just a quicky throwaway shot. I've tried to modify the nacelle end caps as well as the lower saucer countour (although that isn't really apparent due to the contrast), but here is Pike's Enterprise on approach to Talos 4...
    [​IMG]

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think almost all images in this thread look fantastic (I would definately give the Gorn compound eyes, since I think it sets it appart from all other Lizard bad-guys).

I'm playing with fire a little bit ;) , but is there any chance I could see an Ent-style Andorian in a TOS uniform (I like the Andorians on Enterprise since the prequel thing works really well for them, since, even though they are bad guys, there are hints of the Federation that will form ... and Shran is really cool ;) ).

BTW, is there any chance that all the off-topic posts could be moved to a seperate discussion thread? (I guess you'd need a lot of free time to do this). I'm not sure where I'd fit with minimilist/maximist. Practically speaking, I don't think it would be possible to modify all the episodes to maximum potential, since there is so much screen time. Also, TOS did a bunch of things pretty well, and I hope that, if this happens, whoever is modifying them is smart enough to recognize this. I'm in favor of editing mostly out-of-ship shots where you see recycled stock footage or some not-so-great-looking phaser shot (Take Balance of Terror. Great episode, but those long distant shots at the Bird of Prey weren't that great looking, and would look much better from an aft view, with more updated phaser shots, firing into the barely visible distance, being successful on one of its hits, and than cutting to the interior of the Romulan ship, where they stumble around and a concrete block falls on someone's head ;) ).

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Threads have a way of wandering off-topic simply because other somewhat tangent issues are raised in any discussion. Also when considering the possibility of "enhancing" or "reimagining" an image there can often be more involved than just adding stuff to it.

It's been said that a skilfull person makes something that is actually rather diffucult look easy. And I would tend to agree with that since the learned or skilfull individual is aware of things that may totally escape someone else. There is also the simple matter of different people having different views on things, and the clashing of those views stimulates discussion even if it doesn't guarantee agreement or even a general consensus.

None of the issues discussed in this thread are really new though. Several months or perhaps even a year ago I raised the issue in a thread regarding the possibility of enhancing Star Trek's visuals. It became a very polarized argument, er, debate. The two extremes were: going all-out as far as possible to make the F/X look contemporary and doing absolutely nothing save for cleaning up the images (which was actually done several years ago when Paramount digitally reformatted the episodes). I lean towards the latter position since I would be terrified of what would be done to the show in light of the current mindset I see of those presently in charge.

Having said that I was still interested to see what could be done to visually enhance the images while respecting the original creative thinking. And that is the approach I've tried to use with varying success. The desirable result would be a seamless image that looks absolutely authentic and perhaps even something where one might not even noticed what has been changed until really studing the new iamge and comparing it with the original. Of course some of the new images would be more readily apparent yet hopefully still looked as if they'd been there all along.

I think the interior shots and the planetscape scenes would be the most difficult since you are playing with images that have people moving in them and you still want everything to look completely natural. The exterior space scenes would really be the easiest, relatively speaking, since it would be simpler to redo the scene completely in cgi even though it wouldn't look anything like cgi when completed. The cgi Enterprise refit in the TMP DE is a good example of what I'm referring to--it looks like the filming model even though it's cgi.

Conversely, the model built and used in DS9's "Trials And Tribble-ations" was photographed in such a way that made it look like an obvious cgi construct even though it wasn't. And the way the ship was rendered in TaT would stand out jarringly alongside the rest of the footage even in an enhanced TOS.

This thread is really an exercise in imagination as well as a way of illustrating the different approahes that have been put forth.

19. Auriq

Auriq Captain Captain

Personally, one of my favourite images so far was so well done that you couldn't spot the difference. I think it was one of the earliest ones in this thread and it was the addition of an Andorian on the bridge. I wouldn't even have noticed the change if someone hadn't pointed it out.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You mean this one?
    [​IMG]

Actually all I did was add the Andorian's head. :D Well, I also bulked up the guy a bit and made his hands blue to match the head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.