Which part of the ship is this?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by asp7485, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps this is a shot before the nacelles are attached to the secondary hull/saucer section?

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Definately Back looking forward.

Look at the front shot, in that pic the intercoolers are sloping down away from the camera, whereas in the close up above there sloping down toward the camera. :)

3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My theory is, we're standing on top of the engineering section just behind the dorsal looking aft. The port and starboard nacelle attachment nodes are visible sticking out of the main section but without the pylons attached yet. The dome visible in the far middle is the shuttlecraft launch and recovery dome.

4. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think its nacelles looking back not forward I marked with red circle
    [​IMG]

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It's an engine looking towards the back. The top lip of the back end. The wide angle plays tricks with perspective, but there still isn't enough distance from those intercoolers to the front to say we're looking forward.

Again, it's a metaphor for the project being "under construction," so it's dangerous to take things literally, but I'd find it odd the engines were being built on site with the rest of the ship. I'd think an entirely different manufacturer would've made the engines. Must be a helluva shipyard.

6. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to call it that.

Maybe the guy is a good artist/designer, I don't know. I've never reviewed his designs.

I just remember him as one of the geekiest, annoying-as-fuck Star Trek fans I have ever seen from "Trekkies."

I'm not going to call it that.

7. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think so, they seem to match the detail on the engines in the saucer shot.

Speaking of the saucer, it seems to have a lot of details from the refit.

-Chris

8. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Franklyn

You mean like the Suttles SRB's are bulit by whoever and sent to the cape where they'er attached to the ET ?

- W -
    * NASA nut *

9. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you're right, these exist. The "Gabe Cowl", though the other shots show a far more smooth design idiom. The shot does seem to be of workers on the rear part of the nacelle, looking towards the saucer (which is too low to be seen at this angle).

Sleek, retro... am I crazy?

10. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Biggest dork to be 'adopted" into the franchise since Eric Stillwell.

11. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Well the engines could have been built say by Martin-Thikol and shipped as modules to the yard and installed on the pylons.

Sort of like how a nuclear reactor is built off-site, and shipped to the yard and installed and all the piping and pumps are installed there by the construction workers.

You'd have to remove some sections to get at the connections and to install bits and pieces that are specific to this one ship at the yard that's what we could be looking at.

*shug* I have a uncle who worked for E-B in Groton Conn. for a number of years I'll have to call him up and ask him some questions. Also I'll have to get some books on shipbuilding too.. that'll help fill in some blanks on my end. :)

12. Woulfe

Well ? What should we call it then ?

The "Cowl" looks just like his design he did for SOTL Enterprise, so a few are calling it that allready.

13. shapeshifter

I was talking about the first picture on this thread, not that one.

14. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

As for welding near "Giant Electromagnets" I'm assuming these nacelles are nowhere NEAR powered up and electromagnets only become magnetic when electro-fied :p thus the name.

Relax folks, shipyard workers are highly skilled professionals let them do their jobs. Also they are Union workers so don't ask them any questions otherwise they won't finish the job on time:

STAR TREK: PRODUCTION DELAYS

"Well at long last the final Constitution class ship is finished!"
    "Hooray! Prepare to launch!"
    "OH NO THE BORG ARE ATTACKING WE NEED EVERY SHIP AT WOLF 359 RIGHT NOW!"

:D

15. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

You guys can call it whatever you want. Call it the "Gabe Cowl" if you want. I will abstain. I can't even conjure up the guy's image without getting douche chills.

16. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    In fairness, his "animae enterprise" was a fine design, for what it was. It's weird to give a name to a design from another designer to describe another designers work... a design we only see bits of.

This is tricky, ethically. :lol:

17. Woulfe

^ My head hurts ! ^

- W -
    * I need an asprin now *

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its in between the now sleeker part of the two intercoolers on the top end of 1701 nacelles seen here:

[​IMG]

19. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

If it's a nacelle, the scale of the workers makes this ship the size of a galaxy class (perhaps no child labour laws in the 23rd century?). I'm with Uss Stardis in thinking we're looking at the top of the engineering hull, though the scary possibility is that we're looking forward from the rear of the saucer to the back of the bridge dome, making the rear, dorsal profile of the saucer pretty funky with some steroidal shoulder "humps". If it's not a nacelle, I hope Uss Stardis is right.

20. shapeshifter

Then what is that dome between the "intercoolers"? Look at the same pic you posted, see the rear top of the main section, that little dome. Thats where I think we're looking towards.