DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I do love the Flash, but you know what it is I really want? I want a Rogues book. They're all a whole lot more interesting and fun than the Flash himself. I would think if any villains could sustain their own title it would be them.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Rogues are great and I would definitely buy a book featuring them.

But what I really want--and will certainly NOT get--is Wally West back.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

You might get him back, but he wont be the Wally you remember and you will be disappointed all over again. So best if he does not show up.

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Agreed. But I would go one step further... Wally back, Barry dead again. He was more interesting when he was dead.

But, alas... that REALLY wont happen.

6. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I agree with this so much. Wally West (along with Nightwing and Jack Knight's Starman) is my favorite comic book character. But he was my favorite comic book character, not because of his name, but because of the great journey he went under starting with Wolfman and Perez's New Teen Titans and ending with Geoff Johns' run on The Flash. If he came into the New 52 where The Flash mythos is more or less rebooted, it wouldn't be the same, and I wouldn't be happy as a fan.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm extremely underwhelmed by the New 52 as well. The only books I'm actually excited about anymore are Green Lantern, Batman, and Batman & Robin. Action Comics and Batman Inc are both limited runs that are ending soon.

And GL and B&R have been pretty underwhelming recently, this "Rise of the Third Army" is not very good thus far and I'm missing Hal and Sinestro.

I'm still getting Aquaman, GLC, Earth 2, and World's Finest, but it's only out of force of habit.

8. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. OdoWanKenobi

Unsurprising. The writing was on the wall for a while. There had been rumors of some disagreements behind the scenes, and the latest solicits had fill in writers. Still, it's sad to see her go. Batgirl had been pretty good. I guess there's one more title that I can drop after DotF concludes.

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Batgirl was a terrible book.

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I thought Simone did a good job on the Batgirl book. I didn't like the idea of taking Barbara out of the wheelchair and enjoyed both Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown as Batgirl and wouldn't have minded seeing either one of them instead of Babs. That being said, I thought that Simone brought her back well.

Overall, I've dropped a lot of New 52 books, but not because of any declining quality per se. I didn't want to spend the money or the time collecting all those books. Plus I don't have the space for all those books. And some of the books I was supporting got canceled. All that being said, I've enjoyed the New 52 far more than the Marvel books that came out during the same time period.

I'm still buying Batwing, Aquaman, Suicide Squad, and I' Vampire. I'm looking for the right time to drop Vampire, but it keeps me hooked. If I was inclined to still spend money on the New 52, I would be still be reading: Wonder Woman, Batman, Batman & Robin, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, and Talon. I might still keep reading Nightwing, Batgirl, and Justice League.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I've been enjoying Batgirl and I like Barbra.

13. Admiral_Young

Mr. Light...Action Comics isn't a limited run book, Morrison is just concluding his run and Andy Diggle is succeeding him. LOL. Although it does almost feel like that considering this was Morrison's baby.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think he was just referring to Morrison leaving the title.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Another Golden Age name drop in Earth 2, Lee Travis and James Wing aka The Crimson Avenger and Wing. Though this time around it appears Lee is a woman.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was referring to Morrison leaving. Maybe Diggle's run will be good but it definitely won't be the same thing. Do we know the artist for Diggle?

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

18. OdoWanKenobi

Normally I would go ugh to that, but his recent fill in on Justice League actually looked pretty good. I still plan to drop Action, though.

19. Admiral_Young

Yeah and originally while I was hesitant over Daniel's paring with Diggle...his art in Justice League has been...well...frankly beautiful since he took over from Lee. I'll be giving this a chance after Morrison leaves. I still have a feeling it's going to be a Return to Krypton rehash but we'll see.

Another change, although I believe this one has been rumoured for a while now. Scott Snyder is leaving "Swamp Thing".

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/10/scott-snyder-to-leave-swamp-thing/

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I thought Batgirl was a well written title. The character was humanized and fun, with a lot of good internal dialog that really fleshed out the concerns of a young woman who was also a superhero.