Farscape comics

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Mar 19, 2010.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Despite knowing about this coming over a year and a half ago (I dug up the old thread to refresh my memory), I've finally picked up the first three mini-series available out in tradeback (The Beginning of the End of the Beginning, Strange Detractors, and D'Argo's Lament). I've read the first two and love them both immensely. I felt like I was reliving the series all over again. Keith DeCandido captured the voices of the characters masterfully (especially John, Aeryn and Scorpius) and the stories are the typical batshit crazy extravaganzas I expect from Farscape.

I can't wait to read D'Argo's Lament as well as the subsequent mini-series (I've already pre-ordered all of the tradebacks on Amazon). Plus I just read the January interview with Keith and David Mack about the upcoming Scorpius mini-series. I CANNOT wait for this mini-series considering Scorpius is not only my favorite villain in any medium, but he's of one of my favorite literary characers period.

One question I have for anyone who has read Strange Detractors (or even Keith if he's not too busy writing the Scorpius mini-series...or the gazillion other projects I know he's busy with): Sikozu said she made a deal with War-Minister Ahkna to spy on Scorpius and the Moya crew in exchange for freeing the Kalish people. However, I'm surprised the Kalish were actually freed. I would never trust a Scarran's word but furthermore why would Emperor Staleek honor the deal (especially considering his bumpy history with Ahkna)?

My only hope the future is the return of Stark. He's my favorite character from the show (yes, even over Scorpius) and I hope we haven't seen the last of him.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I did see "D'Argo's Lament" in the store the other day, but I haven't bought it yet. I have Parts 3 and 4 of the miniseries pre-ordered on Amazon, though. I'm excited to read them. I was amazed at how well these characters were captured on paper.

3. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The writers do seem to know these characters.

4. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

They're good, but awfully expensive. They're only 22 pages, and 4 bucks for that.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^I just go with the hardcovers.

6. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Comics are too expensive nowadays, but I'm a traditionalist.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've got the hardcovers of "The Beginning of the End of the Beginning," "Strange Detractors," and "Gone and Back." I've been sticking to the post-series comics for now, since they aren't cheap, but I might give "Dargo's Lament" a chance in the future, if it's any good.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Beginning of the End of the Beginning is great. I too wish Stark would reappear. He and Crais were my favorite characters.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't read the trades yet. Waiting for the library to get them in. I wonder if anyone would consider doing an adaption of the great "Horizons" short story that O'Bannon wrote before the Peacekeeper Wars. Perhaps alter a couple of the details that clashed with the PKW (I personally think the story works on its own pretty well) maybe even just a one shot deal and collect it with something else.

10. The Nth Doctor

Maybe, but $16 for a tradeback isn't too bad especially as a hardback.

I would love to see "Horizons" adapted although I don't think any changes are needed to be made. The story itself provides means for D'Argo's presence and the only other problem is the name of John and Aeryn's oldest child. I'm sure that can be fixed with a Farscape-esque explanation.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's David Mack (Destiny, Shadows of Empire) that's co-writing the Scorpius mini-series, not Keith DeCandido.

12. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assume you mean The Sorrows of Empire? ;)

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that dawned on me. No Xixor in Mack's Mirror Universe novel. :)

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Oh, trust me, it all makes sense and there's a story there -- but I'm not about to tell it here. :)

Trust me, that's all been worked out in my head, and discussed with Rockne (bringing Sikozu back was my idea, and her backstory in SD was all mine, but Rock approved all of it), and it'll be in the comics if and when it needs to be.

15. The Nth Doctor

Oops, thanks for the correction on my brain fart moment.

That's exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I look forward to reading the backstory if and when it comes to light. Thanks, Keith!

Also, thank you for bringing back Sikozu. I absolutely adore her, perhaps even more than Jool.

16. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

I just read first four issues of comics...I must say writing and storyline and characters are just the way I liked....(though artwork is a little bit angular and jarred. That is my only little complaint ) It takes a little long to get them here in Turkey...Thank you KRAD..